NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Katie Meade: The model with Down's Syndrome fronting a beauty campaign

4 posters

Go down

Katie Meade: The model with Down's Syndrome fronting a beauty campaign Empty Katie Meade: The model with Down's Syndrome fronting a beauty campaign

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:12 pm

'People see me for who I am and they see me not as someone with a disability', says Meade 

Katie Meade: The model with Down's Syndrome fronting a beauty campaign Katie-meade

Katie Meade is making waves with her new beauty campaign.

Meade, from Des Moines, Iowa has been chosen to front Beauty & Pin Ups’ campaign for their latest “fearless” hair range and has caught the attention of news outlets across the world in doing so.

On their website, Beauty & Pin Ups highlight how Meade, who has Down's Syndrome, has defied stigma, overcome heart surgery and competed in the Special Olympics. “When we hear the word fearless, we think of Katie Meade,” they said.

“Makeup makes me feel good about myself,” Meade, 34, told People about the campaign. “Every day is a great day to feel good about yourself. Feeling good makes you look good - that’s my motto.

“People see me for who I am and they see me not as someone with a disability, but that I have ability. And I like to try new different things and I inspire women to do that. Beauty belongs to everybody.”

Meade is the latest model to demonstrate how some beauty and fashion brands are beginning to challenge fixed beauty standards in the industry.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/katie-meade-becomes-first-model-with-down-syndrome-to-front-a-beauty-campaign-a6971336.html

More photos on the link.   Marvelous!

Back to top Go down

Katie Meade: The model with Down's Syndrome fronting a beauty campaign Empty Re: Katie Meade: The model with Down's Syndrome fronting a beauty campaign

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:34 pm

I'm not sure about that. Why does someone need to take part in a beauty campaign to prove they're important?

I wouldn't have seen her as someone with a disability anyway.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Katie Meade: The model with Down's Syndrome fronting a beauty campaign Empty Re: Katie Meade: The model with Down's Syndrome fronting a beauty campaign

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:56 pm

She's not in a beauty contest, she's modelling for them as a job and has also been in the special olympics.   She is the 'face' of their company.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:03 pm

sassy wrote:She's not in a beauty contest, she's modelling for them as a job and has also been in the special olympics.   She is the 'face' of their company.

I didn't say she was in a beauty contest, the article says it's a beauty campaign. I just don't see why that should set a good example to anyone really - she's putting a lot of emphasis on what people look like, which is quite superficial.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:05 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
sassy wrote:She's not in a beauty contest, she's modelling for them as a job and has also been in the special olympics.   She is the 'face' of their company.

I didn't say she was in a beauty contest, the article says it's a beauty campaign. I just don't see why that should set a good example to anyone really - she's putting a lot of emphasis on what people look like, which is quite superficial.

It's a beauty campaign the same way that any other make up range runs a campaign of advertisments.  She has a job as a model, which is a huge breakthrough for someone with Downs.  And she does a lot more if you read the article.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:08 pm

sassy wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

It's a beauty campaign the same way that any other make up range runs a campaign of advertisments.  She has a job as a model, which is a huge breakthrough for someone with Downs.  And she does a lot more if you read the article.

I just don't see why it's an issue really, but then I wouldn't call someone disabled just because they have Down's Syndrome disabled, unless they clearly were.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:09 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
sassy wrote:

I just don't see why it's an issue really, but then I wouldn't call someone disabled just because they have Down's Syndrome disabled, unless they clearly were.

Many people with Down's Syndrome have a greater or lesser degree of mental disability.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:29 pm

Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes....the fact that this girl who has downs syndrome is fronting a beauty campaign gives confidence to others who may not be societies idea of perfection....good for her and good for the company.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:40 pm

It is a rather splendid story and gives makes you smile a bit wider.
Good for her.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:41 pm

I've passed it on to my youngest grandaughter who has celebral palsy, but loves to dance and sing and act.  Told her if this young lady can model, she can act!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:46 pm

sassy wrote:I've passed it on to my youngest grandaughter who has celebral palsy, but loves to dance and sing and act.  Told her if this young lady can model, she can act!

Listen, in this day and age, good role models are to be held up and used as inspiration!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:47 pm

Definitely!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:58 am

She totally rocks. Lovely story and good on the company.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down