NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

22-year-old with Down syndrome whose parents were told she would NEVER read, write, or lead a normal life 'proves them wrong' as she pursues her dream of becoming a model

2 posters

Go down

22-year-old with Down syndrome whose parents were told she would NEVER read, write, or lead a normal life 'proves them wrong' as she pursues her dream of becoming a model Empty 22-year-old with Down syndrome whose parents were told she would NEVER read, write, or lead a normal life 'proves them wrong' as she pursues her dream of becoming a model

Post by HoratioTarr Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:43 am

Grace Strobel, from Wildwood, Missouri, was born with Down syndrome
A counselor told her parents when she was born that they should consider putting her in a professionally-run 'institution'
The now 22-year-old was home schooled by her mother, Linda Strobel, before attending elementary school when she turned eight
In 2017, when Grace was 20-years-old, she was volunteering in a local kindergarten's canteen when she was made fun of by young students
In order to spread awareness and educate younger children about the disorder, Grace began giving motivational speeches at local schools
While researching for a speech one day, she read a story about a Down syndrome model, and wondered if she could do the same
She walked in her first ever show for St. Louis designer Ola Hawatmeh in February, and will walk in her New York City Fashion Week show this fall

22-year-old with Down syndrome whose parents were told she would NEVER read, write, or lead a normal life 'proves them wrong' as she pursues her dream of becoming a model 11326532-6839233-image-m-8_1553266738782

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6839233/Down-Syndrome-model-aims-breaks-stereotypes-disorder.html
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

22-year-old with Down syndrome whose parents were told she would NEVER read, write, or lead a normal life 'proves them wrong' as she pursues her dream of becoming a model Empty Re: 22-year-old with Down syndrome whose parents were told she would NEVER read, write, or lead a normal life 'proves them wrong' as she pursues her dream of becoming a model

Post by Syl Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:15 pm

Stories like this are so uplifting. Many kids with Downs can go on to achieve if they are given the chance.
Another two who spring to mind is the actor in Corrie and the young lady in the American Horror stories series.

I have a Downs man as a neighbour. He grew up friends with my son and now he is an adult he lives an independent life even though he still lives at home with his mum.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

22-year-old with Down syndrome whose parents were told she would NEVER read, write, or lead a normal life 'proves them wrong' as she pursues her dream of becoming a model Empty Re: 22-year-old with Down syndrome whose parents were told she would NEVER read, write, or lead a normal life 'proves them wrong' as she pursues her dream of becoming a model

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:34 pm

Syl wrote:Stories like this are so uplifting.

i agree syl

i've only met a few down syndrome people in my life to be fair but it seems to me from my experience that the only thing they are deficient in are the levels of spite and malice that 'normal' people have.

the ones i have encountered have been really sweet people

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down