NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

APPLE'S IPhone VS the FBI...what's right/what's wrong?

4 posters

Go down

APPLE'S IPhone VS the FBI...what's right/what's wrong?  Empty APPLE'S IPhone VS the FBI...what's right/what's wrong?

Post by Guest Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:03 pm

As Apple tops the world for the #1 IPhone sales and their market share is STRONG, this legal issue for law enforcement to have access to an individuals private password/back door clearance into that phones last text messages/conversations/numbers called or received --- is highly useful to solve missing persons and those 2 married terrorists possible contacts {from the California killings}!

What do you think about this???

In California, Apple is battling a February 16 federal court order to create a new version of its iOS mobile software that will unlock an iPhone 5C used by a terrorist in December's San Bernardino massacre.

Apple says complying with the FBI's request will create a backdoor into the iPhone and set a "dangerous precedent" that exposes all its customers to security risks. The government says this is a one-time request (even though there is a list of a dozen other iPhones it wants unlocked) and argues that getting information from the iPhone is a matter of national security.

Apple CEO Tim Cook and his team must respond to the order by Friday. A hearing to discuss the standoff between Apple and the FBI is set for March 22 in federal court in Riverside, California.

The outcome of the battle may have ripple effects on the rest of the technology industry. If the US can force one of the most powerful companies in the world to essentially make its own devices less secure, the government could do the same to other businesses. The case also raises warning bells for consumers about the potential perils of connecting everything to the Internet at a time when companies are enabling a huge range of items -- from your refrigerator to your shoes -- to talk to the Web.

But when asked about the standoff between Apple and the FBI, the common response of tech execs here at MWC was uncomfortable laughter followed by some variation of: "No way am I saying anything."

Glenn Lurie, CEO of AT&T's consumer mobility business, wouldn't touch the subject. Don Mesa, head of North American marketing for Sony Mobile, said simply: "I can't even fathom."

Katharyn White, who leads IBM's partnership with Apple to create iOS apps for enterprise customers, laughed and shook her head when asked repeated questions about the FBI's and Apple's stances. "We're not commenting," she said. Finbarr Moynihan, general manager of global sales at chipmaker MediaTek, guffawed and said, "Pass." Executives from BlackBerry, ZTE and several other mobile players also declined to comment.

Deep divide
There's no clear victor in the court of public opinion. The Pew Research Center found that 51 percent of those surveyed believe Apple should comply with the court order, while 38 percent said the company shouldn't unlock the iPhone. A later Reuters poll found 46 percent of respondents agreed with Apple's position and 35 percent disagreed.

Many Silicon Valley tech companies -- at least those talking -- have backed Apple and Cook. The CEOs of Facebook and its WhatsApp messaging app have voiced their support, as have the CEOs of Google and Twitter. The American Civil Liberties Union and digital rights group Electronic Frontier Foundation also support Apple's position. http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-vs-fbi-mobile-world-congress-mwc-no-comment-iphone-san-bernardino/

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

APPLE'S IPhone VS the FBI...what's right/what's wrong?  Empty Re: APPLE'S IPhone VS the FBI...what's right/what's wrong?

Post by Guest Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:02 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:Let's monger some fear so the public willingly give away their privacy. Not just to government but even hackers with a black hat agenda.

Fuck no.

You do have a valid point; yet, hackers - doing what they do so well, will always be so many steps ahead of our law enforcement/FBI/CIA/NSA etc., etc., etc., because they are shackled by the very laws that are meant to protect our privacy and freedoms!

I've admittedly gone back and forth on this issue and if that was my family members phone that was found - and they were missing/found dead/kidnapped/destroyed by 2 lesser thinking humans via their bombs/weapons --- I'd want every stone turned over to FIND THOSE CRETINS and any members that they might have had contact with.

Solving the heinous terrorist acts and finding those that have committed the heinous crimes out weighs my 'uncomfortable' emotional feelings about 'MY PRIVACY' --- IMHO Who/what do I converse about that would cause me any undo harm/shame/embarrassment that I'd not want the authorities to hear/see? NADA, I have nothing to hide.

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

APPLE'S IPhone VS the FBI...what's right/what's wrong?  Empty Re: APPLE'S IPhone VS the FBI...what's right/what's wrong?

Post by Guest Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:32 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
aspca4ever wrote:

You do have a valid point; yet, hackers - doing what they do so well, will always be so many steps ahead of our law enforcement/FBI/CIA/NSA etc., etc., etc., because they are shackled by the very laws that are meant to protect our privacy and freedoms!  

I've admittedly gone back and forth on this issue and if that was my family members phone that was found - and they were missing/found dead/kidnapped/destroyed by 2 lesser thinking humans via their bombs/weapons --- I'd want every stone turned over to FIND THOSE CRETINS and any members that they might have had contact with.

Solving the heinous terrorist acts and finding those that have committed the heinous crimes out weighs my 'uncomfortable' emotional feelings about 'MY PRIVACY' --- IMHO   Who/what do I converse about that would cause me any undo harm/shame/embarrassment that I'd not want the authorities to hear/see?  NADA, I have nothing to hide.

Law enforcement agencies dont have to keep ahead of hackers. Tech companies do.

You may not think these agencies may not use certain information against you but it has happened before.

Black hats certainly could find data on most people's data that can be used against them.  

Sure, that's a belief out in the 'John Q Public' world...but that's not what is happening within our law enforcement institutions and other government agencies; ie IRS {700,000 accounts hacked} the number of "supposedly secure email sights for our elected officials" --- their IS {information service} personnel have to be as savvy and head of the 8ball regarding the security risks and possible hack - attackers that manage to out wit those staffers.

But you do express the likelihood that any one having access within those 'law enforcement'...could/would do some trolling the phone/Ipod connections and then a family/friend/foe's personal and private communication and cause some serious harm for those unknowing humans. We will always have that issue!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:19 pm

C/Net wrote:The Pew Research Center found that 51 percent of those surveyed believe Apple should comply with the court order, while 38 percent said the company shouldn't unlock the iPhone.

First, it's not a matter of opinion.  Real consequence flow from the end of a gun, as Frantz Fanon said.  The same may be said of terrorist activities.  Public opinion is for the Oscars.  Leave this question to the people more knowledgeable.

C/Net wrote:Many Silicon Valley tech companies -- at least those talking -- have backed Apple and Cook. The CEOs of Facebook and its WhatsApp messaging app have voiced their support, as have the CEOs of Google and Twitter. The American Civil Liberties Union and digital rights group Electronic Frontier Foundation also support Apple's position. http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-vs-fbi-mobile-world-congress-mwc-no-comment-iphone-san-bernardino/

Second, the FBI is not very skilled at analysis.  They are used to juries kowtowing to them every time a cop is prosecuted for killing a black man.  They get too little opposition and their reasoning atrophies; as a result they are in over their heads when it comes to reality.

The Apple iphone is a billion-copy freeway for terrorists.  My concerns for a single bad guy's iphone (San Bernardino) pale in comparison to what will happen if you give a million terrorists a back door key into a billion iphones.  It will get out, trust me, and it will land in the greedy little hands of ISIS sooner rather than later.  Next, we will be removing iphone from the market.  What will the FBI have accomplished then?

The FBI is not very smart on this one.  But then, they were the guys who said there were WMD's in Iraq, and forever released terrorism world-wide in the first place.  Don't expect a lot from them.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:09 pm

Cool

First off, it should be noted that the FBI (a.k.a. 'Fat, Bald and Ignorant'..) has rarely acted as simply another "law emforcement agency" ==  it's history is littered with politicised and highly suspect actions against Native Americans, African Americans, labour organisations, community groups, and environmental and wildlife protection groups...

Secondly, the FBI in its claim to the Supreme Court isn't simply asking for Apple to help "unlock" one phone, but has asked to be given unfettered and unrestricted access to ALL iPhones !  This suggested software development - which the FBI has NO intention of paying for, by the way - would threaten not only iPhones, but potentially all of the worlds 'smartphones'; effectively not only crippling a whole industry, but also effectively destroying companies such as Apple, Samsung and Alcatel..

Finally, it has to be asked --  should a state political police force, such as the FBI, Scotland Yard, or any of the worl's other 200+ Federal Police agencies, be allowed such unprecedented and unlimited scope as to potentially destroy any industry, corporation or business sector, simply because in their infinite arrogance they consider themselves above everyone and everything else, let alone any legal, ethical or moral factors ?

As JFK liked to quote from another wise soul :
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance..". Arrow
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:13 pm

http://www.newsfixboard.com/t14126-apple-a-message-to-our-customers
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:35 pm

Since we've been shown the light of day {J. Edgar Hoover's Exposed Little Kingdom} for how the power of authority has been used & abused so soundly here in America --- it still doesn't mean that spying and the absolute need to spy has gone away.
As JFK liked to quote from another wise soul :
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance..".

It's not a cure all but it does allow every nation to keep the balance vs counter balance on a - 'I've got my eyes on you' APPLE'S IPhone VS the FBI...what's right/what's wrong?  Im-watching-you-smiley-emoticon so that the footnotes and requirements that we attach to so much of our 'Foreign Aide & Humanitarian Aide & Military Aide' that is allocated yearly --- actually gets applied/spent/given where it was meant to be.

I've struggled with this 'Right To Know vs Big Brothers Watching Us' for some time and even since the Edward Norton dilemma --- I've been conflicted; is he a 'HERO' vs 'TRAITOR' --- I'm still on the fence about him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:49 pm

As an aside:  In the bigger picture, I think that people like Edward Norton and Julian Assange are heroes, not withstanding what Dr. Obama says.

Question authority!  Every time we do so, we uncover a Watergate or an abu Grabe or a Dick Cheney.  It can't be bad advice.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:06 pm

Original Quill wrote:As an aside:  In the bigger picture, I think that people like Edward Norton and Julian Assange are heroes, not withstanding what Dr. Obama says.

Question authority!  Every time we do so, we uncover a Watergate or an abu Grabe or a Dick Cheney.  It can't be bad advice.

See this is my SLICE OF REALITY:
a.) we as a government must do what is necessary to SPY - keep those evil doers/multi million dollars of dispensed annual aide kept in focus by our best methods available to prove those funds and they in turn do the same to us; everybody is watching everyone else --- from the beginning of time!
a.1) Edward Norton stole millions of files: some governments files about other nations and reams & reams & reams of files transferred over to cd's about private residents communications --- am I on any of them APPLE'S IPhone VS the FBI...what's right/what's wrong?  2190311264 Granted, I don't have trigger words like ISIS/Talban/Al Queda wording in any of 'MY' phone conversations so --- I'd be highly shocked if they singled me out.

b.) we as a collective group of private citizens have that expectation & right to be PRIVATE and not spied upon by WHOM EVER --- but you bring your bomb making/WMD's/ automatic into my world/my area/my neighborhood and all bets are OFF THE TABLE. You have lost all rights to any and all of your privacy - PERIOD

So how exactly do the people hired to circumvent the terrorists/solve those heinous crimes...supposed be able to utilize the most recent technology available if they can't access those systems???

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:34 pm

Aspca wrote:So how exactly do the people hired to circumvent the terrorists/solve those heinous crimes...supposed be able to utilize the most recent technology available if they can't access those systems???

Word to over-active government to remember:

APPLE'S IPhone VS the FBI...what's right/what's wrong?  Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeZnxYw99QapB5CitE60zRfI3_-1fGII5BwDVNKtvTDDTHnPfzvg

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:50 pm

APPLE'S IPhone VS the FBI...what's right/what's wrong?  Crazy-lol
so apropos...that was a good one!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:21 am

Breaking news:

US gov’t can’t force Apple to unlock iPhone in drug case – NY judge

https://www.rt.com/usa/334033-judge-rules-against-fbi-apple/

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:24 am

I saw that. However, keep in mind it's in another case, one that involves lesser crimes...like drugs.

I'm wondering if the government cannot give the California case an extra boost by virtue of it being a matter of national security. Here's what the NY District Court Judge said:

ABC News wrote:Orenstein said he was offering no opinion on whether in the instance of this case or others, "the government's legitimate interest in ensuring that no door is too strong to resist lawful entry should prevail against the equally legitimate societal interests arrayed against it here."

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down