NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

‘Charlie Hebdo’ Will Cease Publishing Cartoons of Prophet Muhammad

+5
Tommy Monk
Ben Reilly
eddie
Raggamuffin
Fuzzy Zack
9 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

‘Charlie Hebdo’ Will Cease Publishing Cartoons of Prophet Muhammad Empty Re: ‘Charlie Hebdo’ Will Cease Publishing Cartoons of Prophet Muhammad

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:20 pm

I think it's right. I see no sense in upsetting people for the sake of it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

‘Charlie Hebdo’ Will Cease Publishing Cartoons of Prophet Muhammad Empty Re: ‘Charlie Hebdo’ Will Cease Publishing Cartoons of Prophet Muhammad

Post by eddie Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:52 pm

It sort of makes a mockery of the people who died needlessly!
I say it's like letting bullies win.

Are they going to stop publishing comedic pictures of Christians and Jews and suchlike too?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:57 pm

eddie wrote:It sort of makes a mockery of the people who died needlessly!

Are they going to stop publishing comedic pictures of Christians and Jews and suchlike too?

Indeed Eddie, its surrendering to fear, which is the aim of the terrorists.
Now how many more terrorrists will now take this as a sign of weakness to further commit harm, based off this magazine raising the white flag. Today freedom of speech was conqured by fear and I feel such a move is nothing short of a disaster, which like you state makes a mockery of the victims who died defending free speech. How many more terrorists or wannabe terrorists are going to now be inspired by this?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:05 pm

Cuchulain wrote:
eddie wrote:It sort of makes a mockery of the people who died needlessly!

Now how many more terrorrists will now take this as a sign of weakness to further commit harm, based off this magazine raising the white flag. Today freedom of speech was conqured by fear and I feel such a move is nothing short of a disaster, which like you state makes a mockery of the victims who died defending free speech. How many more terrorists or wannabe terrorists are going to now be inspired by this?

Couldn't agree more!! I cannot really understand why they've come to this decision?
It's taking a step backwards!!!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:07 pm

french battle flag....

white cross on a white background

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:14 pm

eddie wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

Couldn't agree more!! I cannot really understand why they've come to this decision?

I think they done this wishing to calm an already high running tensions in France with the terrorist acts commited this year there. It though will have provided more belief for others to now do the same, that such acts can cower people into submission. Whether what they print is insensitive to some is besides the point. It they print something poor you condemn it as we do any bad article we see. I once wrongly thought you have to censur hate speech, but that does not combat the hate itself, as you have to tackle the problem at its root cause. The world should have stood up united after this attack,with the western media's all printing the same cartoons, to show defiance against terrorism.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:22 pm

eddie wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

I don't think that mocking people's religion is a step forward really.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:32 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:

problem is one mans mocking is anothers inquiry

who gets to say what is or isnt "mocking"

after all ANY discussion by non beleivers could be taken to be "mocking" if the religion was far up itself enough
and almost certainly ANY criticism would be considered thus and silenced.

And finally since when does "religion" have such a precious status that it is protected from the consequences of freedom of thought and speech (beyond the reasonable constraints of "hate speech")

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:33 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:

Mocking is never a step forward and you tackle the problem by learning mutual respect. What happened here though was not a step back but running back to find cover. Again whether something is right or wrong published in the media, the fundemental right should be that people should be able to publish and that we also have the right to condemn, showing why that is wrong. This was not calling to kill people, this was mocking a man that lived, just like many other people that have lived. Learning mutual respect is the key, but this terrorist attack should have been answered in string definace that terror should never be able to conquer your freedom to speak.

Last edited by Cuchulain on Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:33 pm

I just don't see the point in mocking religion. It doesn't change people's belief, and it just irritates them. In some cases, it leads to murder.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:38 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I just don't see the point in mocking religion. It doesn't change people's belief, and it just irritates them. In some cases, it leads to murder.

Then the problem is the people who then hold these beliefs in that religion itself.
If these main religions are supposed to teach love, then how is it that they allow hate to rule and overcome them. The fact is each individual faith mocks every other faith by its belief system. It does not allow for other faiths to be right. By their very nature they mock every other faith, so how can people of faith claim to be offended when by their own belief they mock millions of others?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:43 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:Why should the employees of Charlie Hebdo (and their families) take the chance of being brutally murdered, just to appease those who think this is a win for terrorism and a loss for freedom of speech?

They already did give their lives those that believed in freedom of speech who rane the magazine.
We all risk our lives daily in the face of terrorism, we have in this country for decades and by bowing down to extremism, you just encourage more to think they can commit terror to force their views onto others.
That has been the problem of religion for the last few thousand years, forcing their beliefs onto others.
This was nothing short of allowing terror to win.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:50 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

They already did give their lives those that believed in freedom of speech who rane the magazine.
We all risk our lives daily in the face of terrorism, we have in this country for decades and by bowing down to extremism, you just encourage more to think they can commit terror to force their views onto others.
That has been the problem of religion for the last few thousand years, forcing their beliefs onto others.
This was nothing short of allowing terror to win.

Why should 'more' employees risk their lives to please you?

Go publish your own cartoons. Let's see you take such risks.

Why should any religious person preach to others?
By doing so they are mocking the beliefs of those who do notbelieve in that belief system, but that is okay to religious people themselves. Except of course in countries like Saudi, where they take the view you cannot preach any other beliefs and face punishments and even death. People risk their lives to preach in some of these countries.The fact is, it is the most hypocritical argumentmade by religious people based on sensitivties of their faith, when by the very nature of their belief, they mock every other belief system as wrong.Again we all place our lives at risk and you do not bow down to terror by giving in, when you already face such threats daily. This was nothing short of a propaganda coup for extremism today, which now gives the geen light to more people thinking that terror can help them force their views onto people.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:58 pm

Oh and for the record I have faced such risks, direct threats to kill me by the IRA for wanting to join the British army. I failed the medical, not because I was unfit, far from it, but because of my history of asthma, they cannot take the risk. I faced this threat from within my own family that saw two of my uncles murdered. So I think I have some grounds to understand what it is like to have my own life threatened and I willingly took the risks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:16 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I just don't see the point in mocking religion. It doesn't change people's belief, and it just irritates them. In some cases, it leads to murder.

In which case that says more for the believers AND the belief.

religious believers of the murdering kind are little different either in mental stability OR intelligence from "yer average footy hooligan" who will murder you for mocking "his" team.

and religions that call for or encourage (however slightly) such behaviour should not be given the time of day. They have NO place in our society and add NO value.

The more I see the more convinced I am that ALL religions should have their special status concessions (such as the favourable tax exemption and their place in "hate speech law) removed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:18 pm

Satire serves a higher intellectual purpose. I don't think Charlie Hebdo merely mocked Islam (or any other religion) so much as it skewered the pedestal religious people put themselves upon, such as with this cartoon:

‘Charlie Hebdo’ Will Cease Publishing Cartoons of Prophet Muhammad O-UNTOUCHABLES-570

("You better not laugh!")

There's no reason a free society shouldn't be allowed to criticize, critique and even mock religious beliefs, and it reflects poorly on the faithful when they can't take criticism in stride, the way the rest of us are forced to in order to get along in life. Ironically, there are many Muslims who insist that Islam is a religion that invites critique and investigation, but that message is certainly undercut when other Muslims commit murder over a cartoon.

I understand that CH might be doing this to calm tensions in their country, and that's a noble impulse, but it's a sad day when violent threats stifle free expression.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:19 pm

victorismyhero wrote:

religious believers of the murdering kind are little different either in mental stability OR intelligence from "yer average footy hooligan" who will murder you for mocking "his" team.

and religions that call for or encourage (however slightly) such behaviour should not be given the time of day. They have NO place in our society and add NO value.

The more I see the more convinced I am that ALL religions should have their special status  concessions (such as the favourable tax exemption and their place in "hate speech law) removed.

+1

Brilliant point and bang on the money.
Catch you later Victor and have agood evening

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:19 pm

What if, a law was passed, whereby ANYONE AND EVERYONE could prohibit a word or a picture?

How many words or pictures do you think you'd be allowed to read, watch or use?

It's called freedom of speech Rags. It's why you're allowed to say a lot of stuff on here or other public forums, without getting banned or your speech prohibited.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:23 pm

Cuchulain wrote:
victorismyhero wrote:

The more I see the more convinced I am that ALL religions should have their special status  concessions (such as the favourable tax exemption and their place in "hate speech law) removed.

+1

Brilliant point and bang on the money.
Catch you later Victor and have agood evening

Cheers didge Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:23 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Satire serves a higher intellectual purpose. I don't think Charlie Hebdo merely mocked Islam (or any other religion) so much as it skewered the pedestal religious people put themselves upon, such as with this cartoon:

‘Charlie Hebdo’ Will Cease Publishing Cartoons of Prophet Muhammad O-UNTOUCHABLES-570

("You better not laugh!")

There's no reason a free society shouldn't be allowed to criticize, critique and even mock religious beliefs, and it reflects poorly on the faithful when they can't take criticism in stride, the way the rest of us are forced to in order to get along in life. Ironically, there are many Muslims who insist that Islam is a religion that invites critique and investigation, but that message is certainly undercut when other Muslims commit murder over a cartoon.

I understand that CH might be doing this to calm tensions in their country, and that's a noble impulse, but it's a sad day when violent threats stifle free expression.

Well said Ben

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:24 pm

victorismyhero wrote:

So you would advise someone to go on mocking a football team, even though they might get murdered for doing so?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:26 pm

eddie wrote:

What if, a law was passed, whereby ANYONE AND EVERYONE could prohibit a word or a picture?

How many words or pictures do you think you'd be allowed to read, watch or use?

It's called freedom of speech Rags. It's why you're allowed to say a lot of stuff on here or other public forums, without getting banned or your speech prohibited.

People are free to criticise religion, and to mock it, but if they get killed for doing so, is there much point in standing up for their rights? The world is full of dead martyrs.

Mockery is different to criticism - in some ways it's worse. I don't condone what happened, but it got to the stage where someone wanted to wipe the smug smiles off the faces of the cartoonists, and they were prepared to die themselves in order to do so.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:27 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:Why should the employees of Charlie Hebdo (and their families) take the chance of being brutally murdered, just to appease those who think this is a win for terrorism and a loss for freedom of speech?

Evening Zack

Do you think that you should shut up because someone else tells you to?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:28 pm

It's all very well saying they shouldn't give in, but you're not the ones going to work every day frightened that someone might kill you. You might change your tune if it was you.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:31 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
victorismyhero wrote:

So you would advise someone to go on mocking a football team, even though they might get murdered for doing so?

No...I would shut down the team untll it got better mannered supporters Rolling Eyes
why should a few intellectually challenged morons shut down conversation?
what part of "my right to take the piss FAR outweighs ANY consideration of your sensitivities" dont you get...
Its YOUR fault if you cant defend your belief/football team in a reasonable manner.
It is YOUR weakness that you resort to murder or whatever...or have any sympathy for those who do.

to resort to violence over a stupid matter of "my god/football team has a bigger dick than yours" is symtomatic of mental inadequacy and social inferiority  complexes...

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:33 pm

victorismyhero wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

No...I would shut down the team untll it got better mannered supporters Rolling Eyes
why should a few intellectually challenged morons shut down conversation?
what part of "my right to take the piss FAR outweighs ANY consideration of your sensitivities" dont you get...
Its YOUR fault if you cant defend your belief/football team in a reasonable manner.
It is YOUR weakness that you resort to murder or whatever...or have any sympathy for those who do.

to resort to violence over a stupid matter of "my god/football team has a bigger dick than yours" is symtomatic of mental inadequacy and social inferiority  complexes...

I'm sure that's a great comfort to the friends and families of those who were killed.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:33 pm

Just wanted to add, there is something to be said for any publication's responsibility for protecting its employees. My newspaper's offices are several stories up in a skyscraper and you can't even get the elevator to go to that floor without an employee keycard. From what I can glean from photos, the CH office is not nearly as secure as I'd want it to be if I worked there.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:35 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:It's all very well saying they shouldn't give in, but you're not the ones going to work every day frightened that someone might kill you. You might change your tune if it was you.

So we should give in to threats? What if someone on here threatened you - would you log off? Shut up?

I think you'd change your tune if we started banning people from posting what they wanted to say.

No Christian words or pictures
No pictures of anyone who is old, ill or fat
No swear words
No use of the word God
No answering a warning made by admin

Etc etc etc

Now how long would you like to do as you're told?

"Don't answer this thread anymore Rags. If you do I will ban you."
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:36 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:It's all very well saying they shouldn't give in, but you're not the ones going to work every day frightened that someone might kill you. You might change your tune if it was you.

there is a difference between understanding WHY they took this decision and accepting that the reason they did was an acceptable social occurence

i.e. it is right that they took tis step to protect their staff

it is utterly wrong and unacceptable that they had to....

It would be a correct response by the french govt to remove any "special privilidges" religion has in france from this point onward....

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:37 pm

eddie wrote:

So we should give in to threats? What if someone on here threatened you - would you log off? Shut up?

I think you'd change your tune if we started banning people from posting what they wanted to say.

No Christian words or pictures
No pictures of anyone who is old, ill or fat
No swear words
No use of the word God
No answering a warning made by admin

Etc etc etc

Now how long would you like to do as you're told?

"Don't answer this thread anymore Rags. If you do I will ban you."

Being banned is a tad different to being killed isn't it?

I'm not one for giving in - we should never have given in to those Irish terrorists and pandered to them. However, we're talking about individuals who saw colleagues murdered, and I don't blame them if they're afraid they might be next.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:41 pm

Yes rags, I KNOW it's a 'tad' different to being killed Rolling Eyes

It was just an example, however small, of what happens when you start to cover people's mouths and minds.
If you don't get what I mean, you're never going to.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:42 pm

eddie wrote:Yes rags, I KNOW it's a 'tad' different to being killed Rolling Eyes

It was just an example, however small, of what happens when you start to cover people's mouths and minds.

Well I don't approve of those cartoons in the first place, and others do, so we're not going to agree what is right.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:46 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:Yes rags, I KNOW it's a 'tad' different to being killed Rolling Eyes

Well I don't approve of those cartoons in the first place, and others do, so we're not going to agree what is right.

Okay fair point. But you cannot stop people having opinions and you cannot stop people from being able to express them rags, whether you like the opinion or not.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:47 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Okay fair point. But you cannot stop people having opinions and you cannot stop people from being able to express them rags, whether you like the opinion or not.

Apparently you can - individual people anyway, as they found out.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:51 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

And that's right, is it? The terrorists were right to kill because they didn't like someone's opinion?
No they were not right, they could've just expressed their opinion verbally.

So we agree then, that it isn't wrong to express your opinion verbally, (voicing) but it is wrong to express your opinion physically (violence)?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:54 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

And that's right, is it? The terrorists were right to kill because they didn't like someone's opinion?

So we agree then, that it isn't wrong to express your opinion verbally, (voicing) but it is wrong to express your opinion physically (violence)?

I was replying to your claim that you cannot stop people expressing their opinions - the killers did just that.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:57 pm

Yes they stopped those people voicing their opinions
But it wasn't the right way to do it.

If someone stops you from expressing your opinions rags, it's called oppression.

In a war between free speakers and oppressors, I take the said of free speech.
Any other side, means you can only think oppression (when you agree with it of course!) is right.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:57 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:

I was replying to your claim that you cannot stop people expressing their opinions - the killers did just that.

and hence terrorism has won.... Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:00 pm

eddie wrote:Yes they stopped those people voicing their opinions

If someone stops you from expressing your opinions rags, it's called oppression.

Any other side, means you can only think oppression (when you agree with it of course!) is right.

They couldn't think of any other way of doing it. Many Muslims have complained before about the mockery, and those people stuck two fingers up at them.

I just think there's no need for people to engage in such mockery, but then I've never been a fan of satire or cartoons. A bit of gentle teasing about human nature is OK, but those people knew how offensive they were being, and now they don't want to put themselves at risk any more. I don't blame them for that.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:04 pm

Capitulation.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:05 pm

I don't think anyone has the right to tell other people what to say.

And the day you allow someone to tell you, then you're no longer living in a free society.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:07 pm

Well what do you want eddie? Do you want these people to continue to put themselves at risk to satisfy your desire for free speech?

You're not in their shoes. Why don't you start up a company taking the piss out of Muslims and put yourself out instead?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:09 pm

I'll also just mention that France have banned the burka - which I don't have a problem with - but they should perhaps understand that if you take away one freedom and uphold another, there will be trouble.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:10 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Well what do you want eddie? Do you want these people to continue to put themselves at risk to satisfy your desire for free speech?

You're not in their shoes. Why don't you start up a company taking the piss out of Muslims and put yourself out instead?

I'm not asking anyone to do anything for ME, rags?
I'm merely stating my opinion. I hope no one kills me for it.

That wouldn't be very fair, would it?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:11 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:Yes they stopped those people voicing their opinions

They couldn't think of any other way of doing it. Many Muslims have complained before about the mockery, and those people stuck two fingers up at them.

I just think there's no need for people to engage in such mockery, but then I've never been a fan of satire or cartoons. A bit of gentle teasing about human nature is OK, but those people knew how offensive they were being, and now they don't want to put themselves at risk any more. I don't blame them for that.

If they couldnt think of any way else to act then they are uncivilised savages that should be wiped clean off the face of the earth
If they took offense THAT deeply then they were "looking for reason to be offended" and totally "up them selves"
people like that have NO place in any decent society.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:12 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Well what do you want eddie? Do you want these people to continue to put themselves at risk to satisfy your desire for free speech?

Well being fair doesn't mean much if you're dead.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:14 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:

Well being fair doesn't mean much if you're dead.

No it doesn't. Not fair is it?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next