NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Italy: Rainbow-themed Christmas lights blasted as ‘provocative and ideological’

3 posters

Go down

Italy: Rainbow-themed Christmas lights blasted as ‘provocative and ideological’ Empty Italy: Rainbow-themed Christmas lights blasted as ‘provocative and ideological’

Post by Guest Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:02 pm

Rainbow-themed Christmas lights set up in Rome to commemorate the recent suicide of a gay teenager have stirred controversy recently, after a far-right group blasted the idea as “provocative and ideological.”
According to the AFP, City assembly member Imma Battaglia said she and mayor Ignazio Marino had intended to send a message with the multi-coloured lights, which were switched on Friday in Via del Corso.
Ms Battaglia said the lights symbolised a fight against homophobia after the recent suicide of a gay 14-year-old in the city.
She said: “That is how we came up with the rainbow flag idea,” and added they could also be seen as a “peace symbol.”
However, the far-right Fratelli d’Italia party has condemned the idea, calling it “provocative and ideological.”
Assemblyman Fabrizio Ghera said: “There should be an Italian tri-colour instead.”
The Italian flag colours were used in 2011 to mark the 150th anniversary of Italian unification. Last year, they were monochrome white.
Laura Rossi International, the company behind the rainbow-themed lights, attempted to defuse conflict on Friday by claiming they would now be dedicated to the late Nelson Mandela, who passed away on Thursday.
A spokesperson said: ”This way the message of love, tolerance, unity and sharing will become stronger.”
The teenager to whom the lights originally paid tribute killed himself in August after leaving a suicide note which read: “I am a homosexual, no one understands my drama and I do not know how to make it acceptable to my family.”
Back in July, the Lower House of Italy’s Parliament announced it was set to begin debating a bill that would make homophobic discrimination a criminal offence in the country.
Italy currently has no protections against anti-gay discrimination in public, in the provision of goods and services or against hate speech.
Same-sex marriages and civil partnerships are currently not recognised and same-sex couples do not have adoption rights.
Gender identity is also not a part of official anti-discrimination legislation.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/12/08/italy-rainbow-themed-christmas-lights-blasted-as-provocative-and-ideological/

The far right group should keep their mouths shut Twisted Evil 

Back to top Go down

Italy: Rainbow-themed Christmas lights blasted as ‘provocative and ideological’ Empty Re: Italy: Rainbow-themed Christmas lights blasted as ‘provocative and ideological’

Post by Guest Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:22 pm

Test

Italy: Rainbow-themed Christmas lights blasted as ‘provocative and ideological’
Italy: Rainbow-themed Christmas lights blasted as ‘provocative and ideological’ Empty by Catman Yesterday at 8:02 pm

Rainbow-themed __af_placement_id--[AFF-PLACEMENT-ID].html]Christmas lights set up in Rome to commemorate the recent suicide of a gay teenager have stirred controversy recently, after a far-right group blasted the idea as “provocative and ideological.”
According to the AFP, City assembly member Imma Battaglia said she and mayor Ignazio Marino had intended to send a message with the multi-coloured lights, which were switched on Friday in Via del Corso.
Ms Battaglia said the lights symbolised a fight against homophobia after the recent suicide of a gay 14-year-old in the city.
She said: “That is how we came up with the rainbow flag idea,” and added they could also be seen as a “peace symbol.”
However, the far-right Fratelli d’Italia party has condemned the idea, calling it “provocative and ideological.”
Assemblyman Fabrizio Ghera said: “There should be an Italian tri-colour instead.”
The Italian flag colours were used in 2011 to mark the 150th anniversary of Italian unification. Last year, they were monochrome white.
Laura Rossi International, the company behind the rainbow-themed lights, attempted to defuse conflict on Friday by claiming they would now be dedicated to the late Nelson Mandela, who passed away on Thursday.
A spokesperson said: ”This way the message of love, tolerance, unity and sharing will become stronger.”
The teenager to whom the lights originally paid tribute killed himself in August after leaving a suicide note which read: “I am a homosexual, no one understands my drama and I do not know how to make it acceptable to my family.”
Back in July, the Lower House of Italy’s Parliament announced it was set to begin debating a bill that would make homophobic discrimination a criminal offence in the country.
Italy currently has no protections against anti-gay discrimination in public, in the provision of goods and services or against hate speech.
Same-sex marriages and civil partnerships are currently not recognised and same-sex couples do not have adoption rights.
Gender identity is also not a part of official anti-discrimination legislation.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/12/08/italy-rainbow-themed-christmas-lights-blasted-as-provocative-and-ideological/

The far right group should keep their mouths shut Italy: Rainbow-themed Christmas lights blasted as ‘provocative and ideological’ Icon_twisted 

Back to top Go down

Italy: Rainbow-themed Christmas lights blasted as ‘provocative and ideological’ Empty Re: Italy: Rainbow-themed Christmas lights blasted as ‘provocative and ideological’

Post by veya_victaous Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:11 pm

... don't they have coloured lights at christmas? I am confused I think most of the lights here are 'Rainbow themed' but I'm not too sure that is a thing  scratch
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:14 pm

“There should be an Italian tri-colour instead.”

Dude, way to put your own nationalism ahead of your religion! Of course, I think both ideas are stupid ... but still.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:21 am

@ Veya

....Yeah, i just had a thought  Laughing 

The fairy lights that you put on a Christmas tree are all different colours aren't they!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:23 am

Let's see ...

Italy: Rainbow-themed Christmas lights blasted as ‘provocative and ideological’ Original
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:29 am

.....All the colours of the rainbow!  :D 

South Africa describes itself as being the rainbow nation!

Back to top Go down

Post by ALLAKAKA Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:57 am

I don't think Christmas tree lights should signify anything other than colourful illumination.

ALLAKAKA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:35 am

@allakaka
agree
lights are lights
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:36 am

and lolz
a colleauge just walked past and said "pretty christmas lights where are they?"
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down