NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kentucky Derby today

Go down

Kentucky Derby today Empty Kentucky Derby today

Post by Original Quill Sat May 02, 2015 4:28 pm

Yep, the first in the triple-crown races.  A bay named American Pharoah is favoured at 3 - 1.  

USA Today wrote:Update: American Pharoah will wear No. 18, but start from the No. 17 post after Stanford scratched from the race Thursday. No horse has won the Kentucky Derby from the 17th post position.

If American Pharoah, the 5-2 favorite, is going to win Saturday's Kentucky Derby he'll do it from post position 18 in a full field of 20 horses.

None of the favorites seemed to be concerned with their starting gate position as all dodged the inside rail where a horse can compromised at the start in a huge field.

Second choice Dortmund, who like American Pharoah is trained by Bob Baffert, drew post No. 8 while third choice Carpe Diem will start from the No. 2 hole.

Gato Del Sol in 1982 is the only horse to win from the 18th post but Baffert, who has won the race three times, took the draw pretty much in stride.

"As long as there's been a winner (from that gate). I didn't want to carry that with me. But it takes a good horse to win it. I mean the break is going to be so important.''

USA TODAY: Expert picks for the Kentucky Derby

The horse's owner wasn't sweating the draw either.

"The good ones find a way to win. At least we are not handicapped. We should have no excuse," said Ahmed Zayat who will also have Mr. Z and El Kabeir in the race.

The favorite will be ridden by Victor Espinoza, who won the Derby last year on California Chrome.

"I definitely didn't want to be the one horse, that's for sure," said Espinoza. "I mean, I don't think it matters, but just to be safe. I feel more comfortable to be on the outside.''

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down