NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Major League switch pitcher impresses in spring training debut

2 posters

NewsFix :: Sport :: Sport

Go down

Major League switch pitcher impresses in spring training debut Empty Major League switch pitcher impresses in spring training debut

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:46 pm

MESA, Ariz. -- What has become a routine act for Pat Venditte is an astonishing sight for those watching him.

The A's switch-pitcher introduced himself to the Cactus League on Tuesday, recording two outs against the Giants -- one with each arm -- as fans, and even teammates, ooed and aahed.

"I didn't realize it was him when he started throwing, so it kind of tripped me out there for a second," said A's second baseman Ben Zobrist. "Obviously he does it well. It's not like he's weaker from one side than the other. Obviously he's able to throw all of his pitches and spot up from both sides. It's really fun to watch. It's an anomaly for sure."

Venditte, in camp on a Minor League deal following seven seasons in the Yankees organization, entered the game with two outs in the third inning to face the right-handed-hitting Justin Maxwell from the right side, and he promptly induced a groundout to end the frame. Venditte then transferred his glove to his other hand to begin the fourth and proceeded to strike out the left-handed Brandon Belt with his left arm.

"Any time you get to a new team and begin a new season," he said, "you want to start out on a good note, and I felt I was able to do that today."

Venditte, a natural right-hander, paid particularly close attention to the new timers that have been installed in ballparks to regulate pace of play.

"For me, it's something I'm going to have to look at, because I don't want to get into a situation where I don't get one of my arms loose," he said. "Usually when I'm switching over, that second arm that I'm pitching with is going to be the first hitter. So I want to make sure I have enough time to get a feel for my pitches with both arms."

http://m.athletics.mlb.com/news/article/111090068/oakland-athletics-switch-pitcher-pat-venditte-records-out-with-each-arm-in-spring-debut

This is a very rare talent!

Major League switch pitcher impresses in spring training debut Venditteright

Major League switch pitcher impresses in spring training debut Mlb_a_venditte_mb_576x324
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Major League switch pitcher impresses in spring training debut Empty Re: Major League switch pitcher impresses in spring training debut

Post by Cass Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:51 pm

it is indeed. Awesome
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Major League switch pitcher impresses in spring training debut Empty Re: Major League switch pitcher impresses in spring training debut

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:55 pm

Cass wrote:it is indeed. Awesome

I'd love to see what happened if Jose Altuve (for example) dropped a bunt toward the shortstop and Venditte had to try to field it with his glove on the wrong hand Smile I bet some right-handed hitter tries that ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down