NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boston time capsule: Sealed box buried in 1795 by Samuel Adams and Paul Revere finally reveals its treasures

3 posters

Go down

Boston time capsule: Sealed box buried in 1795 by Samuel Adams and Paul Revere finally reveals its treasures  Empty Boston time capsule: Sealed box buried in 1795 by Samuel Adams and Paul Revere finally reveals its treasures

Post by Guest Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:58 pm

Historians have opened up America's oldest time capsule – buried more than 200 years ago by some of the US's most iconic Revolutionary figures – and they had every right to be excited.

“This is the stuff of history,” said Boston museum director Michael Comeau as the contents of the box were painstakingly removed on Tuesday.
The capsule was placed in the cornerstone of the “New” Massachusetts Statehouse when its construction began in 1795.
According to a plaque, it was buried by renowned figures of American history including the early industrialist Paul Revere and the then-Massachusetts governor Samuel Adams.
Museum officials had believed that the contents were shifted to a copper box in 1855 before being replaced in the building foundations. On Tuesday, that box was discovered to in fact be brass.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/boston-time-capsule-sealed-box-buried-in-1795-by-samuel-adams-and-paul-revere-finally-reveals-its-treasures-9961867.html

Back to top Go down

Boston time capsule: Sealed box buried in 1795 by Samuel Adams and Paul Revere finally reveals its treasures  Empty Re: Boston time capsule: Sealed box buried in 1795 by Samuel Adams and Paul Revere finally reveals its treasures

Post by Cass Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:08 pm

this is so cool beyond words.

I wonder if there was a teabag in there lol

I'm a big supporter of time capsules and this is exactly why.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Boston time capsule: Sealed box buried in 1795 by Samuel Adams and Paul Revere finally reveals its treasures  Empty Re: Boston time capsule: Sealed box buried in 1795 by Samuel Adams and Paul Revere finally reveals its treasures

Post by Guest Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:13 pm

Cass wrote:this is so cool beyond words.

I wonder if there was a teabag in there lol

I'm a big supporter of time capsules and this is exactly why.

Hi me lady

Has this been much in the news over there?
Love things like this

x

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:35 pm

yes its been in the news but rightly and sadly overshadowed by other world events. lots of my librarian and historian friends have had it up on facebook and having good discussions. we're basically geeking out Smile
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:44 pm

I just found out about it right here.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:36 pm

Cass wrote:yes its been in the news but rightly and sadly overshadowed by other world events. lots of my librarian and historian friends have had it up on facebook and having good discussions. we're basically geeking out Smile

So both Quill and Cass, what are your thoughts here?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:50 pm

Well, I'm not surprised at all the excitement.

after all the yanks need all the history they can get

200+ years and its the find of the century pffft

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:51 pm

well I'm beyond tired of certain people claiming its not a time capsule - get over yourselves.

the papers interest me the most - thank goodness someone put in the copper coins to help preserve the paper. hopefully they will be able to unfold them further.

will he interesting to see if they can prove that Paul Revere did make the silver plate.

in a humourous vein I had hoped it would read "Told You They Were Coming"
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:43 pm

Cass wrote:well I'm beyond tired of certain people claiming its not a time capsule - get over yourselves.

the papers interest me the most - thank goodness someone put in the copper coins to help preserve the paper. hopefully they will be able to unfold them further.

will he interesting to see if they can prove that Paul Revere did make the silver plate.

in a humourous vein I had hoped it would read "Told You They Were Coming"

Thanks me Lady, you will have to give me some more insight into this when you find out some more.

xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:33 am

Hmmm ... the UK is in a few real senses quite a bit younger than the U.S. Smile

The U.S. constitution was ratified in 1789. On the other hand, there was no state legally named the "United Kingdom" (of anything) until 1801, and not until 1911 did the House of Commons become the supreme legislative authority.

To put it another way, we were "The United States of America" when your country was essentially a predecessor state known as "Great Britain," ruled by a fairly powerful king.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:09 pm

A fookin' German king, at that!!

Boston time capsule: Sealed box buried in 1795 by Samuel Adams and Paul Revere finally reveals its treasures  2409070

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:24 am

Honestly thought I'd get some argument over that Boston time capsule: Sealed box buried in 1795 by Samuel Adams and Paul Revere finally reveals its treasures  3852033631
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down