NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christmas truce of 1914: Letter from trenches shows football match through soldier's eyes

Go down

Christmas truce of 1914: Letter from trenches shows football match through soldier's eyes  Empty Christmas truce of 1914: Letter from trenches shows football match through soldier's eyes

Post by Guest Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:43 am

A First World War soldier’s account of the Christmas truce of 1914 has been released for the first time, chronicling “one of the most extraordinary sights anyone has ever seen”.

Captain A D Chater was serving with the 2nd Battalion Gordon Highlanders when peace came briefly to the English and German trenches on the Western Front.
His letter to his “dearest mother”, describing the famous moment former enemies risked their lives to walk out into no-man’s land to wish each other a happy Christmas and play football, has been released by Royal Mail with his family’s permission.
“I think I have seen today one of the most extraordinary sights that anyone has ever seen,” he wrote.
“About 10 o'clock this morning I was peeping over the parapet when I saw a German, waving his arms, and presently two of them got out of their trench and came towards ours.
“We were just going to fire on them when we saw they had no rifles, so one of our men went to meet them and in about two minutes the ground between the two lines of trenches was swarming with men and officers of both sides, shaking hands and wishing each other a happy Christmas.“

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/christmas-truce-of-1914-letter-from-trenches-shows-football-match-through-soldiers-eyes-9942929.html

Back to top Go down