NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anonabox removed from Kickstarter as fraudulent

2 posters

Go down

Anonabox removed from Kickstarter as fraudulent Empty Anonabox removed from Kickstarter as fraudulent

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:14 am

Sad news ...

Over the weekend, Kickstarter suspended Anonabox, a project aimed at creating a wireless router with an embedded version of the Tor software. Kickstarter hasn't revealed why the project is no longer allowed to accept funding. However, the news arrives after many questions arose regarding the originality of the device late last week.

The Anonabox was created by August Germar of Chico, California. The idea was simple: create a 2-port wireless router with the Tor software embedded. Thus, you connect one Ethernet port to the broadband modem's WAN out and the other Ethernet port to a router's WAN in. This would allow all wired and wireless device traffic to pass though the anonymizing software before jumping onto the Internet. That's also just one way consumers could use the Anonabox.

Unfortunately, Anonabox wasn't built from scratch as the Kickstarter project led the public to believe. The Anonabox instead used a stock motherboard and case from Chinese supplier Gainstrong, which can be purchased through Ali Express. This device supposedly can be ordered without the full USB port, which, when intact, allows users to share media and files stored on a flash drive.

According to Kickstarter, a project will be suspended if the creator tries to pass off someone else's creation as his/her own. The account will also suspend funding if there is misrepresentation of support and/or failure to disclose relevant facts about the project and/or its creator. The company indicates that once a Kickstarter project has been suspended, there's no way it can be undone.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/anonabox-tor-kickstarter-suspended-router,27919.html
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Anonabox removed from Kickstarter as fraudulent Empty Re: Anonabox removed from Kickstarter as fraudulent

Post by veya_victaous Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:25 am

Umm actually good news

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-2014-300Mbps-WT3020A-Multiprotocol-Portable-Mini-WIFI-Router-with-USB-data-line-Wireless-Router-wi/1691403728.html?aff_platform=aaf&sk=jY3Y3Are%3AvfYnqJE6E&cpt=1413944584051&is_dl_target_url=y

whack your desired TOR and an Autorun script on any USB3.0 thumb drive and you just made yourself the Anonabox
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Anonabox removed from Kickstarter as fraudulent Empty Re: Anonabox removed from Kickstarter as fraudulent

Post by veya_victaous Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:29 am

under US$20 scratch scratch scratch scratch

this could be a nifty toy for $20, even it's as advertised function is pretty useful, share any media on a USB connection over entire network without needing an server or at least media centre.

Plus it achieves it through a Physical 'ring around' as opposed to software and setup
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:56 am

I swear, sometimes I think you only exist to defy my premises ...

Just kidding, you're good dude Anonabox removed from Kickstarter as fraudulent 2984306523 Anonabox removed from Kickstarter as fraudulent 2984306523 Anonabox removed from Kickstarter as fraudulent 2984306523 Anonabox removed from Kickstarter as fraudulent 2984306523 Anonabox removed from Kickstarter as fraudulent 2984306523
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:54 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:I swear, sometimes I think you only exist to defy my premises ...

Just kidding, you're good dude Anonabox removed from Kickstarter as fraudulent 2984306523 Anonabox removed from Kickstarter as fraudulent 2984306523 Anonabox removed from Kickstarter as fraudulent 2984306523 Anonabox removed from Kickstarter as fraudulent 2984306523 Anonabox removed from Kickstarter as fraudulent 2984306523

maybe I do.... clown clown clown clown clown clown

Although I wonder if some of what the guy says is true, as I have never seen or heard of one of these before and It is an off market Chinese brand... I wonder if they read the Kick Starter worked out his plan and just did it first.

it is one of those things, it's genius is in the simplicity of the solution by looking at the problem from a different angle. but once the solution is explained it become obvious and is easy to replicate. Neutral

keep an eye out if you did want one... I suspect it wont be long before someone starts selling these with a preconfigured USB key.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:32 am

I was just thinking, while you and I know how to use Tor, this could be something that might help a lot of people who don't want the hassle of it, along with the fact that it might spread awareness.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down