NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The film "Noah"

+4
Raggamuffin
Eilzel
Ben Reilly
eddie
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The film "Noah" Empty The film "Noah"

Post by eddie Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:59 am

Anyone seen this? Watched it last night. It's got Russell Crowe in it as Noah and Ray Winstone, also my fave, Anthony Hopkins.

Really excellent take on the bible story and shows Noah in a slightly different light.

Well worth seeing.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

The film "Noah" Empty Re: The film "Noah"

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:00 am

eddie wrote:Anyone seen this? Watched it last night. It's got Russell Crowe in it as Noah and Ray Winstone, also my fave, Anthony Hopkins.

Really excellent take on the bible story and shows Noah in a slightly different light.

Well worth seeing.

I heard about it, pissed off the Christians and the Muslims (the bad sort from each). So I'll definitely check it out; flood stories fascinate me ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:11 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:Anyone seen this? Watched it last night. It's got Russell Crowe in it as Noah and Ray Winstone, also my fave, Anthony Hopkins.

Well worth seeing.

I heard about it, pissed off the Christians and the Muslims (the bad sort from each). So I'll definitely check it out; flood stories fascinate me ...

I like a flood story too, strangely enough, ( though not if I'm on a boat  Shocked )

I didn't know it had pissed off the Christians and Muslims though? Not surprised, though Noah came across as being Jewish in this film.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:29 am

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Well worth seeing.

I like a flood story too, strangely enough, ( though not if I'm on a boat  Shocked )

I didn't know it had pissed off the Christians and Muslims though? Not surprised, though Noah came across as being Jewish in this film.

Yeah, both groups hold Noah in pretty high esteem and some (assholes) from each considered the film to be blasphemy.

Regardless, it's a fascinating story and a real human treasure. I think current generations should get to re-invent it in order to make it more applicable to them. And if there was ever a time to fear primal, natural forces turning upon us and on animals ...

To me it's like James Bond or Spider-Man, in a way. People see things in these characters and find their own meaning. It's a good thing, and for the religious (especially Christians), it could heighten interest in the faith itself, so I don't see the downside.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:33 am

Well I am a God-believer but non-religious and I found the film interesting and quite "fair" tbh
It simply shows that as hard as man tries to be good, he will make mistakes.

One of my favourite films (rock opera) is Jesus Christ Superstar. Apart from the brilliant music and lyrics, some fabulous dance scenes, it shows the story of Christ through the eyes of Judas (played by a black man - horror of horrors!)
It's simply superb.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:08 am

If Noah ever existed (which I doubt) he would have been a Jew wouldn't he? 4000 years ago neither Muslims or Christians existed and both developed their faiths from Jusaism.

Another Biblical blockbuster due out is Exodus by Ridley Scott, looks great :-)
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:42 am

Eilzel wrote:If Noah ever existed (which I doubt) he would have been a Jew wouldn't he? 4000 years ago neither Muslims or Christians existed and both developed their faiths from Jusaism.

Well they never made reference to religion, they didn't even call him "God" he was known as the "Creator"

Morning les btw x
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:42 am

Eilzel wrote:If Noah ever existed (which I doubt) he would have been a Jew wouldn't he? 4000 years ago neither Muslims or Christians existed and both developed their faiths from Jusaism.

Well they never made reference to religion, they didn't even call him "God" he was known as the "Creator"

Morning les btw x
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:15 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:

Yeah, both groups hold Noah in pretty high esteem and some (assholes) from each considered the film to be blasphemy.

Regardless, it's a fascinating story and a real human treasure. I think current generations should get to re-invent it in order to make it more applicable to them. And if there was ever a time to fear primal, natural forces turning upon us and on animals ...

To me it's like James Bond or Spider-Man, in a way. People see things in these characters and find their own meaning. It's a good thing, and for the religious (especially Christians), it could heighten interest in the faith itself, so I don't see the downside.

Please do not speak for Christians as a "group". We all have our own ideas of who or what should be held in high esteem.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:20 am

Morning Eds x

Well I guess that might be why they got upset then, one of their precious fables being hijacked to make a hollywood version of their fictional story Razz
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:27 am

Eilzel wrote:Morning Eds x

Well I guess that might be why they got upset then, one of their precious fables being hijacked to make a hollywood version of their fictional story Razz

I reckon lol
Let's face it, you're going to upset someone if you make a "religious" film  Rolling Eyes 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:49 am

True, I think Passion of the Christ (amazing film) upset some Christians and that was made by ultra devout (to the point of being a total jackass) Mel Gibson- Exodus has already been slated by LWers though for casting white actors as the Egyptian elite lol
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:41 pm

eddie wrote:
Eilzel wrote:Morning Eds x

I reckon lol
Let's face it, you're going to upset someone if you make a "religious" film  Rolling Eyes 

As the Pythons will tell you!
I will give Noah a look. Haven't seen the passion of the Christ. Braveheart finished me and Mel Gibson.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:05 pm

Passion is powerful even if you don't credit the story as entirely true, and Gibson is only the Director.

Braveheart I see from two angles, the music is gorgeous (Irish bagpipes though lol) and Patrick MaGoohan is an awesomely pantomime villain version of Edward I.

But it is historical bullshit and one of his two big slurs against the 'evil English'; with a small dose of homophobic stereotyping to boot- he is a knob.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:49 pm

Eilzel wrote:Passion is powerful even if you don't credit the story as entirely true, and Gibson is only the Director.

Braveheart I see from two angles, the music is gorgeous (Irish bagpipes though lol) and Patrick MaGoohan is an awesomely pantomime villain version of Edward I.

But it is historical bullshit and one of his two big slurs against the 'evil English'; with a small dose of homophobic stereotyping to boot- he is a knob.

Agree about Braveheart. Don't like Mel Gibson much tbh
Never fancied Passion.

Nems, Noah is well worth a watch. I'd watch it again and I rarely watch the same film twice.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:54 pm

eddie wrote:
Eilzel wrote:Passion is powerful even if you don't credit the story as entirely true, and Gibson is only the Director.

Agree about Braveheart. Don't like Mel Gibson much tbh
Never fancied Passion.

Nems, Noah is well worth a watch. I'd watch it again and I rarely watch the same film twice.
Hi Edds did you get the DVD?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:47 pm

Well worth seeing.
Yes i watched it last week ....i wasn`t impressed .......and gave up watching it about 3/4 way trough the movie when ray winston started eating the animals on the ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:54 pm

Korben_Dallas wrote:

Well worth seeing.
Yes i watched it last week ....i wasn`t impressed .......and gave up watching it about 3/4 way trough the movie when ray winston started eating the animals on the ark  

Thanks Korben  Razz 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:03 pm

Nems wrote:
Korben_Dallas wrote:

Thanks Korben  Razz 
sorrry nems bit of a spoiler
but if you want to watch it
http://www.movie25.cm/latest-hd-movies/

That's where i watched it from

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:06 pm

Korben_Dallas wrote:
Nems wrote:

Thanks Korben  Razz 

Thanks KD I have saved the link xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:23 pm

ive just ordered it for my branch so I guess ill get round to watching it eventually .....along with 12 years a slave and Dallas buyers club and American Hustle

there hasn't been much that ive fancied watching recenty. just discovered Criminal Minds on Tv so been plowing through them.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:28 pm

Cass wrote:ive just ordered it for my branch so I guess ill get round to watching it eventually .....along with 12 years a slave and Dallas buyers club and American Hustle

there hasn't been much that ive fancied watching recenty. just discovered Criminal Minds on Tv so been plowing through them.

I keep thinking about having a go at 24

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:33 pm

Nems wrote:
Cass wrote:ive just ordered it for my branch so I guess ill get round to watching it eventually .....along with 12 years a slave and Dallas buyers club and American Hustle

I tried but I dunno.....just didn't click

senior & junior both tell us to watch Game of Thrones........personally I'm waiting for Sleepy Hollow, Scandal and Sons of Anarchy to get back on........
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:35 pm

Nems wrote:
Korben_Dallas wrote:
Nems wrote:

Thanks Korben  Razz 

I bought it from movie rentals on virgin nems, not sure if it's out on DVD yet?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:35 pm

Cass wrote:
Nems wrote:

I tried but I dunno.....just didn't click

senior & junior both tell us to watch Game of Thrones........personally I'm waiting for Sleepy Hollow,  Scandal and Sons of Anarchy to get back on........

Everyone is raving about Game of Thrones, I guess I should give it a go.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:36 pm

Nems wrote:

I'm the same with Breaking Bad

You'd really like Dexter, it's right up your street.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:36 pm

eddie wrote:
Nems wrote:

No worries Edds the link from KD looks good x

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:38 pm

Nems wrote:
eddie wrote:
Nems wrote:

You watched dexter? You'd like it! Plus he's tres dishy  Razz 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:38 pm

eddie wrote:
Nems wrote:

I'm the  same with Breaking Bad

You'd really like Dexter, it's right up your street.

I remember you telling me about that! Is it still going?

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:44 pm

m'k ladies off to get ready for work.....stop drooling over fishy guys when I'm not here - s'not fair x
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:49 pm

Cass wrote:m'k ladies off to get ready for work.....stop drooling over fishy guys when I'm not here - s'not fair x

Fishy???!  The film "Noah" Fish_210  lol! x

Loved 24, heard very good things about Dexter The film "Noah" Smiley46

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:49 pm

Cass wrote:m'k ladies off to get ready for work.....stop drooling over fishy guys when I'm not here - s'not fair x

I like a nice fishy guy! xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:52 pm

Nems wrote:
eddie wrote:

i have used it for a long time but i would say if you do like the movies you watch buy them on dvd when they come out on dvd
That's what I do

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:55 pm

eddie wrote:
Nems wrote:

You watched dexter? You'd like it! Plus he's trying dishy  Razz 
I watched the first series, but it was too Gorry for me
I don`t watch horror movies or gartuuasly violent ones
i don`t want that kind of stuff in my head

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:59 pm

Korben_Dallas wrote:
eddie wrote:

You watched dexter? You'd like it! Plus he's trying dishy  Razz 
I watched the first series, but it was too Gorry for me
I don`t watch horror movies or gartuuasly violent ones
i don`t want that kind of stuff in my head

Im like that now, couldnt watch SAW or anything like that

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:54 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:

Please do not speak for Christians as a "group". We all have our own ideas of who or what should be held in high esteem.

It's well accepted within Christian circles that Noah was a good man, the last good man on Earth actually (apparently along with his family, the last good family) and that God chose to protect them from his holocaust because of their righteousness.

Are you trying to say there are Christians who don't hold Noah in fairly high esteem? If so, they contradict their own scripture.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:27 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

It's well accepted within Christian circles that Noah was a good man, the last good man on Earth actually (apparently along with his family, the last good family) and that God chose to protect them from his holocaust because of their righteousness.

Are you trying to say there are Christians who don't hold Noah in fairly high esteem? If so, they contradict their own scripture.

Here's a suggestion - just leave Christians alone to believe what they believe, and stop trying to tell them what they should believe.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:39 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Here's a suggestion - just leave Christians alone to believe what they believe, and stop trying to tell them what they should believe.

I know all about what Christians believe, having lived as one for most of my life.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:50 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I know all about what Christians believe, having lived as one for most of my life.

No, you only know about what you believed, and what your family and friends believe.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:57 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

No, you only know about what you believed, and what your family and friends believe.

No, I know that they are mainstream Christians, as was I. I lived all over the place as a kid and we attended a lot of different churches, and I went to a lot of Sunday school. Also, I can turn on the TV at any time and access Christian broadcasting, which is no different from what I was taught and believed, or tried to believe, for 30 years of my life. And I can access websites and YouTube videos about Christian beliefs, which are in line with my experience of the religion. So please don't try to feed me that bullshit.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:59 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

No, I know that they are mainstream Christians, as was I. I lived all over the place as a kid and we attended a lot of different churches, and I went to a lot of Sunday school. Also, I can turn on the TV at any time and access Christian broadcasting, which is no different from what I was taught and believed, or tried to believe, for 30 years of my life. And I can access websites and YouTube videos about Christian beliefs, which are in line with my experience of the religion. So please don't try to feed me that bullshit.

You keep trying to feed me your bullshit. You keep telling me what I should believe, and yet you're always moaning about Christians telling you what to believe. Do you not realise how stupid you sound?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:08 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

You keep trying to feed me your bullshit. You keep telling me what I should believe, and yet you're always moaning about Christians telling you what to believe. Do you not realise how stupid you sound?

When have I ever told you what you should believe?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:11 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

You keep telling me what you think Christians believe, and since I'm Christian, you are telling me what I should believe.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:13 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

You keep telling me what you think Christians believe, and since I'm Christian, you are telling me what I should believe.

What? What kind of crazy semantics game is this, now? I'm not telling you what to believe about Noah, Vishnu, James Bond or anything else. You feel free to believe whatever you like. Just don't try to make me live by it and we're five-by-five.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:16 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

What? What kind of crazy semantics game is this, now? I'm not telling you what to believe about Noah, Vishnu, James Bond or anything else. You feel free to believe whatever you like. Just don't try to make me live by it and we're five-by-five.

So stop saying what all Christians believe then. Christians will decide what they believe, not you.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:20 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

So stop saying what all Christians believe then. Christians will decide what they believe, not you.

But here's the problem -- I know what Christians believe.

At the core, it's that Jesus, the son of God, was sent to earth to live among us and teach us. Taking all the sins of everyone who ever lived and ever would onto his own soul, he offered himself as a sacrifice, so that those who believe in him can be redeemed and live forever with him in paradise.

That about right?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:25 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

At the core, it's that Jesus, the son of God, was sent to earth to live among us and teach us. Taking all the sins of everyone who ever lived and ever would onto his own soul, he offered himself as a sacrifice, so that those who believe in him can be redeemed and live forever with him in paradise.

That about right?

So what does that have to do with Noah?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:29 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

That about right?

Noah's story is in the Christian Bible. Sermons are delivered about Noah. Pretty much every Christian is taught about Noah from childhood.

http://christianity.about.com/od/oldtestamentpeople/p/noahprofile.htm

http://www.godvine.com/bible/category/noah

I honestly don't know what we're arguing about at this point, unless you're trying to say that Noah is not a major biblical figure, in which case you're wrong.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:13 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Noah's story is in the Christian Bible. Sermons are delivered about Noah. Pretty much every Christian is taught about Noah from childhood.

http://christianity.about.com/od/oldtestamentpeople/p/noahprofile.htm

http://www.godvine.com/bible/category/noah

I honestly don't know what we're arguing about at this point, unless you're trying to say that Noah is not a major biblical figure, in which case you're wrong.

It's in the old Testament.

I just wish you'd stop speaking for Christians and deciding who they hold in high esteem.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:05 am

Rags without the Old Testament the prophesies which Jesus fulfilled are meaningless, Christians write off the OT at their peril. Jesus certainly believed in Noah and he is one of the prophets of the OT, along with Moses, Abraham et al without which Jesus's claim to be son of God is baseless.

Of course Christians crediting the OT poses its own problems of fallibility and moral credibility; but that isn't a dilemma we heathens need worry about ;-)
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next