NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Cop get no Charges for Murdering 13 year old.

4 posters

Go down

US Cop get no Charges for Murdering 13 year old. Empty US Cop get no Charges for Murdering 13 year old.

Post by veya_victaous Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:43 am

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/07/09/3457566/how-this-california-police-officer-escaped-charges-for-shooting-a-13-year-old-dead/

Last October, protests erupted over the fatal, racially charged police shooting of 13-year-old Andy Lopez in Santa Rosa, California, after his BB gun was mistaken for a real AK47. But the officer, Deputy Erick Gelhaus won’t face any criminal charges, the Sonoma County District Attorney announced late Tuesday. In fact, the sheriff’s office’s investigation concluded that Gelhaus did not even violate any internal policies and procedures and will not face discipline, other than the suspension he already faced while the investigation was pending, a spokesperson told ThinkProgress.

In many ways, this outcome is little surprise. Limited available data suggests officers are rarely held accountable for their use of force, least of all with criminal charges. But a 52-page legal memo released by District Attorney Jill Ravitch in announcing her decision — “the first time a report as detailed as this has been made public in Sonoma County,” — sheds light on how a 13-year-old walking along the road with a BB gun came to die at the hands of a longtime police officer, and how the laws and policies operate to protect that officer:

It is very Long and in depth article and Quite interesting on the State of US Law enforcement and Just-us system

Deputy Erick Gelhaus was riding as a passenger with Deputy Michael Schemmel doing what the DA report described as some “proactive police work” on the day of October 22. They first saw Andy about 25 yards ahead of them on Moorland Avenue. Gelhaus, a firearms instructor and Iraq war veteran, believed the object Lopez was carrying to be an AK47 and radioed in his observation.

Although Gelhaus had radioed for assistance, the two deputies on the scene acted quickly in the moments that followed. Schemmel parked his vehicle about 20 yards from Lopez, at which point they yelled to Lopez to put down his gun, with Lopez’s back still to the officers. This was the closest they got to Lopez, and seemingly never got close enough to see that Lopez was a child, or that he was carrying something that looked slightly different from an AK47 in key respects. It was from that vantage point — the equivalent of 60 feet — that Gelhaus fired an estimated 8 shots after Lopez began to turn toward the officers and the barrel of the gun “which had been pointed down, began to ascend.” Several witnesses who drove past Andy reported that they believed Lopez to be as young as 11 and though the gun was likely a toy. But the District Attorney’s summary concluded, “Although some [other witnesses] who saw that Andy was a teenaged boy assumed that the weapon was fake, it appears from the evidence that Deputy Gelhaus did not get a good enough view of Andy to determine he was a teenager.”

Some witnesses also reported that they didn’t hear or misheard what the officers said when they asked Lopez to put the gun down, contributing to the possibility, particularly given that distance, that Lopez did not hear their specific command either or comprehend what he was being told.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

US Cop get no Charges for Murdering 13 year old. Empty Re: US Cop get no Charges for Murdering 13 year old.

Post by Guest Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:59 am

American Un-Justice in full swing!

Back to top Go down

US Cop get no Charges for Murdering 13 year old. Empty Re: US Cop get no Charges for Murdering 13 year old.

Post by veya_victaous Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:13 am

Hard to say which is the root Cause the
US Just-us system or the lack of gun control  Neutral 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:16 am

Both!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:26 pm

This decision just happened in Sonoma County, north of San Francisco. It's north coast wine country. I've got a second home there so this is right in my face.

The Sonoma County Sheriffs Department is also the police agency that field-interviewed the killer while a nude, 12-year old Polly Klass was hiding in the bushes. The deputies let Richard Allen Davis go, and he went back to Klaas and finished the job.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:08 pm

This is an outrage!

Surely if a person is found guilty of murdering another person in the Yu Es of Eh they will receive some time in one of those jail type things?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:11 pm

The kid was carrying what looked like a real gun though, so what were they supposed to think?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:15 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:The kid was carrying what looked like a real gun though, so what were they supposed to think?

Ah, well in my book, if he believed the kid had a real gun, it's legal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:17 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:The kid was carrying what looked like a real gun though, so what were they supposed to think?

sadly true but they could have taken him down without killing him.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:17 pm

US Cop get no Charges for Murdering 13 year old. 628x4710

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:18 pm

Cass wrote:

sadly true but they could have taken him down without killing him.

If you think somebody else has a fully automatic weapon, and you're the man who has to stop him, kill him, kill him every time!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:22 pm

This time I kinda agree with lil andy. But more of a reason for gun control laws, including toys, eh?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:26 pm

Original Quill wrote:This time I kinda agree with lil andy. But more of a reason for gun control laws, including toys, eh?

I agree too to a certain point but by reading the article I just think there are a few unanswered question about the police actions

I don't like the feeling of shoot first ask questions later.....all police are trained in firearms and could have taken the boy down without killing him. BUT I wasn't there so was there a true need about justifiable force?
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:42 pm

Cass wrote:
Original Quill wrote:This time I kinda agree with lil andy.  But more of a reason for gun control laws, including toys, eh?

I agree too to a certain point but by reading the article I just think there are a few unanswered question about the police actions

I don't like the feeling of shoot first ask questions later.....all police are trained in firearms and could have taken the boy down without killing him. BUT I wasn't there so was there a true need about justifiable force?

Which is why I made the point about inept police forces. Sonoma County is wine country, rural in the extreme. These guys are local yokals, but not murderers.

This is just a decision by the County DA not to criminally prosecute. You can bet there will be a civil suit, in which all of the training and precationary issue will be aired.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:31 pm

Cass, indeed, those who carry guns are trained.

They are trained to fire aimed shots. They are trained to fire aimed shots at the central body mass - stomach, chest.

If we all aimed for the big toe we'd be shooting the bystanders, wouldn't we now, or even worse, they might have time to get an aimed shot back at us!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:17 pm

I love silencing sh1t threads with a few little facts.

Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:40 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:I love silencing sh1t threads with a few little facts.
 Laughing 

You know andy, we're not really here to service your feelings of inadequacy. If your mother left you with low self-esteem, there are psychiatrists for that

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:41 pm

Original Quill wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:I love silencing sh1t threads with a few little facts.
 Laughing 

You know andy, we're not really here to service your feelings of inadequacy. If your mother left you with low self-esteem, there are psychiatrists for that  

I don't think anybody should expect others to service their feelings - you really do need to go out and ensure that happens yourself Quim.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down