NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Report: 11-Year-Old Charged With Child Abuse After 1-Year-Old Under Her Care Dies

4 posters

Go down

Report: 11-Year-Old Charged With Child Abuse After 1-Year-Old Under Her Care Dies Empty Report: 11-Year-Old Charged With Child Abuse After 1-Year-Old Under Her Care Dies

Post by Guest Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:51 pm

An 11-year-old Maryland girl was charged with first-degree child abuse after a 1-year-old boy left in her care died of severe upper-body trauma injuries, The Washington Post reports. Prince George’s police are not naming the girl, who is currently being held at a juvenile detention facility, but identified the victim as Paxton Davis. The Post reports that children must be at least 13-years-old to babysit another child, and the girl had not previously babysat Davis. “I don’t know what motive there would be in a situation like this for an 11-year-old to assault a 1-year-old,”  Maj. Brian Reilly said. “There’s no words. There’s no reason for this to take place.” According to police, Davis' mom left her son in the care of adult members of the 11-year-old's family on Saturday, Feb. 23. The 1-year-old spent the night under proper care, but was left with the 11-year-old alone for a short period of time on Sunday morning. The relatives reportedly returned home, found the 1-year-old injured, and called 911. The young boy was reportedly rushed to the hospital, but died of his injuries on Thursday. Police said the girl admitted to hurting the boy when she was alone with him, but they would not tell reporters if a weapon was used.

READ IT AT WASHINGTON POST

Back to top Go down

Report: 11-Year-Old Charged With Child Abuse After 1-Year-Old Under Her Care Dies Empty Re: Report: 11-Year-Old Charged With Child Abuse After 1-Year-Old Under Her Care Dies

Post by Syl Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:15 pm

Horrendous
An 11 year old is too young to be left in charge of a one year old baby, even for a short while.
The girl doesn't seem to be related, maybe wasn't used to the baby....it's a tragedy.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Report: 11-Year-Old Charged With Child Abuse After 1-Year-Old Under Her Care Dies Empty Re: Report: 11-Year-Old Charged With Child Abuse After 1-Year-Old Under Her Care Dies

Post by Guest Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:21 pm

Syl wrote:Horrendous
An  11 year old is too young to be left in charge of a one year old baby, even for a short while.
The girl doesn't seem to be related, maybe wasn't used to the baby....it's a tragedy.

There is very little information on this and its seems terrible this has happened

We are not even sure this was the 11 year old on this

Most of the care when babysitting was with the parents of this 11 year old

So there is only the claim on this, that it happened in a short time frame with the 11 year old being alone

Who knows Syl, but it seems the 11 year old is being seen as the prime suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:17 pm

The 11 year old has admitted it was her.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:49 pm

It seems to me that whoever left the 1-year old in the care and custody of the 11-year old, is the responsible party. An 11-year old cannot be held to a contract or for consent. By way of comparison, she cannot be held to any other sort of legal responsibility.

The standard is offered by the law regarding babysitting. If one under 13-years old is not fit to babysit an infant, then the parent who creates that situation is at fault. If I left a baby with a sharp knife, and the baby kills himself, does it make sense to indict the knife?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:36 pm

Original Quill wrote:It seems to me that whoever left the 1-year old in the care and custody of the 11-year old, is the responsible party.  An 11-year old cannot be held to a contract or for consent.  By way of comparison, she cannot be held to any other sort of legal responsibility.

The standard is offered by the law regarding babysitting.  If one under 13-years old is not fit to babysit an infant, then the parent who creates that situation is at fault.  If I left a baby with a sharp knife, and the baby kills himself, does it make sense to indict the knife?

And yet.....

"In 2010, an 11-year-old girl in Georgia was charged with murder after a 2-year-old in her care died, according to local news reports. The child charged in that case was the daughter of a co-worker with whom the victim’s mother had entrusted her toddler, news reports said."
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:17 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:It seems to me that whoever left the 1-year old in the care and custody of the 11-year old, is the responsible party.  An 11-year old cannot be held to a contract or for consent.  By way of comparison, she cannot be held to any other sort of legal responsibility.

The standard is offered by the law regarding babysitting.  If one under 13-years old is not fit to babysit an infant, then the parent who creates that situation is at fault.  If I left a baby with a sharp knife, and the baby kills himself, does it make sense to indict the knife?

And yet.....

"In 2010, an 11-year-old girl in Georgia was charged with murder after a 2-year-old in her care died, according to local news reports. The child charged in that case was the daughter of a co-worker with whom the victim’s mother had entrusted her toddler, news reports said."

Yeah...Georgia. No doubt they were black.  I can't vouch for, and don't expect reason out of southerners.  You know whereof I speak there.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:13 am

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

And yet.....

Yeah...Georgia.  No doubt they were black.  I can't vouch for, and don't expect reason out of southerners.  You know whereof I speak there.

Presumably the parents were black also, and yet the child was charged with murder.

Last edited by Syl on Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:13 am

I agree that there should probably be some charges against the adult, but we don't have enough details. I think if they left the property then here that would be 'child endangerment'.

but the issue with the girl is she has still killed someone, if this was a meditated act then something needs to be done. If she has a history of violence towards animals then she might have the 'serial killer defect'.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:15 am

What is the age of criminal responsibility in the US? Over here it's 10, so she could certainly be held accountable in law.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:55 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

What is the age of criminal responsibility in the US? Over here it's 10, so she could certainly be held accountable in law.

The age varies state-to-state, and is always subject to judicial determination whether to charge a person under the age of majority (18) as an adult.

But I would say that a blanket age of responsibility is usurped by the permissible age of a babysitter.  I mean, here is the legislature setting down a more specific law establishing an age of responsibility, an adult person violating it, and the victim being charged.  Absurd.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:18 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

The age varies state-to-state, and is always subject to judicial determination whether to charge a person under the age of majority (18) as an adult.

But I would say that a blanket age of responsibility is usurped by the permissible age of a babysitter.  I mean, here is the legislature setting down a more specific law establishing an age of responsibility, an adult person violating it, and the victim being charged.  Absurd.

If the girl hurt the child, she's responsible for it, regardless of whether she should have been left with the kid or not.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:30 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

If the girl hurt the child, she's responsible for it, regardless of whether she should have been left with the kid or not.

I know about causation responsibility. But should she be legally responsible, when the law says it is the parent that is breaking the law?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:51 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I know about causation responsibility.  But should she be legally responsible, when the law says it is the parent that is breaking the law?

Yes, of course she should. The parents can be prosecuted too - for a different offence.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down