NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Teenage Rampage: Mods vs Rockers, 1964

Go down

Teenage Rampage: Mods vs Rockers, 1964 Empty Teenage Rampage: Mods vs Rockers, 1964

Post by Guest Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:07 am

Though it all seems rather mild from the distance of half a century, the riots that took place in English seaside towns during 1964 revealed a shift in values from those of the austere war generation to the newly affluent baby boomers, argues Clive Bloom.

his summer marks the 50th anniversary of the mods and rockers ‘riots’ at the English seaside towns of Clacton, Margate, Brighton and Hastings. The fights on the beaches and on the promenades became symbols of rebellious and uncontrollable youth and, although the participants are no longer young, some still remember those scuffles with a sense of pride that might be unimaginable in other violent circumstances.
The troubles began on Easter weekend in Clacton, Essex, where scuffles broke out between rival groups. Things went quiet until the following Whitsun bank holiday (May 18th and 19th). Foreign travel was still in its infancy and going to the coast was a cheap alternative, especially when the weather over the summer proved so good. Families with buckets and spades and old ladies on deck chairs were treated to the sight of hundreds of teenage mods and rockers, who had come to the seaside towns of Margate and Brighton to enjoy the freedom of a weekend without work (for most were employed), wearing their best clothes and looking forward to hearing their favourite pop group on the end of the pier. This was a perfect way to meet the opposite sex away from prying eyes and perhaps to let off some steam. The Rolling Stones were performing at Hastings that weekend and Johnny Kidd and the Pirates had played Margate Winter Gardens the day before. 

http://www.historytoday.com/clive-bloom/teenage-rampage-mods-vs-rockers-1964

Back to top Go down

Teenage Rampage: Mods vs Rockers, 1964 Empty Re: Teenage Rampage: Mods vs Rockers, 1964

Post by Irn Bru Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:02 pm

Ah them were the days Didge The sun shone and Britain was positively bouncing. Roger Daltrey was belting out the vocals, Pete Townshend was smashing up his guitars and Keith Moon was kicking his drum kit all over the place and later the Kinks were singing Dedicated Follower of Fashion – great stuff, summed it all up at the time.

The Mod girls wore all the latest trendy gear but the rocker girls in their denims were far more exciting.

The best bet for the guys was to have two sets of gear. Trendy flairs, the mandatory anorak plastered with badges and manicured hair if you wanted to  pull a Mod. Boots, denim jeans (turned uo at the bottom), white T-shirt and sleeked back hair with a little flick forward at the front and of course bubble gum to go after a rocker girl.

Quadrophenia featuring a young Leslie Ash. Guys back then would have died for her. Shame how she turned out later.

Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Teenage Rampage: Mods vs Rockers, 1964 Empty Re: Teenage Rampage: Mods vs Rockers, 1964

Post by Guest Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:07 pm

Great film Irn and a fascinating time one I would have liked to have witnessed, one that has my interest. Though if I had to choose it would be as a rocker and was a bit of a rockabilly in my youth, though love both sets of music.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:33 pm

Didge wrote:Great film Irn and a fascinating time one I would have liked to have witnessed, one that has my interest. Though if I had to choose it would be as a rocker and was a bit of a rockabilly in my youth, though love both sets of music.

It was a great time to be a young 'un Didge and like you say it was a smashing film as well.

All us baby boomers Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:43 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
Didge wrote:Great film Irn and a fascinating time one I would have liked to have witnessed, one that has my interest. Though if I had to choose it would be as a rocker and was a bit of a rockabilly in my youth, though love both sets of music.

It was a great time to be a young 'un Didge and like you say it was a smashing film as well.

All us baby boomers Laughing

Yea, so much hope in the world and we all thought we could change it for the better. Pick a job, if you didn't like it, pick another. I wanted to work in Shell Centre in London, so I did, easy as that. Poor kids these days will never know that. Bought my first flat when I came back from Singapore in Teddington in Middlesex, it overlooked Queens Park that runs through to Hampton Court, no chance of anyone doing that these days.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down