NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Science of Misheard Song Lyrics

2 posters

Go down

The Science of Misheard Song Lyrics Empty The Science of Misheard Song Lyrics

Post by Guest Sun May 25, 2014 10:36 am

There is an actual official term for when you hear "excuse me while I kiss the sky" in Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze" as "excuse me while I kiss this guy." Your meaningful misheard lyrics are called "mondegreens," and their study can have real psychological significance.
The Mondegreens
We've all had those awkward moments. A group of friends is singing in a car, and suddenly, someone says the wrong word. And everyone looks at each other, wondering how that person heard the wrong song lyrics, or whether they themselves are wrong.
These little misunderstandings are common, but most people don't know that there is an official title for them. It came from a popular essay by writer Sylvia Wright, where she recalled when her mother read a certain book of poems to her. One of the verses was as follows:
http://news.discovery.com/human/psychology/the-science-of-misheard-song-lyrics-140522.htm

Back to top Go down

The Science of Misheard Song Lyrics Empty Re: The Science of Misheard Song Lyrics

Post by eddie Sun May 25, 2014 8:10 pm

"My eyes adored you...."

When I was small, I used to think he said "my eyes are dodgy"

I always remember radio2 DJ Steve Wright used to say that Sting was not singing "So lonely" but "Sue Lawley" after the newsreader  lol! 
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

The Science of Misheard Song Lyrics Empty Re: The Science of Misheard Song Lyrics

Post by Ben Reilly Mon May 26, 2014 7:17 am

I wonder about psychological significance to mis-remembered songs or quotes, or even to misunderstanding what people say ...

There's a song called "The Green Fields of France" that has a line, "Well I hope you died quick and I hope you died clean" that a friend of mine always sang "I hope you died rich and I hope you died clean" -- and he was one of the more money-obsessed people I've known ...

The other day I was at our communal laundry mat when a woman who was trying to keep her several small children from acting up asked me if I could put her dollar in the dryer -- for a split second I thought she'd asked me to put her daughter in the dryer Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon May 26, 2014 6:07 pm

HAHAHAHAHA imagine of you'd grabbed her small child and thrown her in!

You'd have been posting from a prison cell right about now  Shocked 
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon May 26, 2014 6:08 pm

eddie wrote:HAHAHAHAHA imagine of you'd grabbed her small child and thrown her in!

You'd have been posting from a prison cell right about now  Shocked 

I was just thinking, 'I don't have kids. I don't know what it's like.' Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down