NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Racist NBA owner gets unprecedented lifetime ban from league

5 posters

NewsFix :: Sport :: Sport

Go down

Racist NBA owner gets unprecedented lifetime ban from league Empty Racist NBA owner gets unprecedented lifetime ban from league

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:35 am

Taking actions with little precedent in American professional sports history, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver on Tuesday banned Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling from the basketball league for life and said he would push hard to get other NBA owners to force Sterling to sell his franchise.

The sanctions for what the commissioner called Sterling's "deeply offensive and harmful" language about African Americans could mean the end of the Clippers' owner's tumultuous 33-year reign over one of big league sports' most inept teams just as it appears poised for championship-caliber play.

The lifetime ban, along with a $2.5-million fine, came less than four days after audio recordings released by two websites unleashed waves of anger and disdain for Sterling. The recordings captured the 80-year-old Clippers' owner telling a female friend he did not want to see her at Clippers games with black people. The NBA said its investigation confirmed that it was Sterling's voice on the recording before the league imposed its harshest penalty ever.

Too harsh?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-me-donald-sterling-nba-20140430,0,5339501.story
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Racist NBA owner gets unprecedented lifetime ban from league Empty Re: Racist NBA owner gets unprecedented lifetime ban from league

Post by harrymuffin Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:17 am

I feel like that although, his remarks were racist. They were made in his own home.

He shouldn't be punished for having what he thought, was a private conversation with his gold-digging girlfriend.

The same as confiding in your spouse or partner. You may say things to them that you'd not say to anyone else, because of the trust you've built with them. And not expect your conversation to be played for the world.

I think he's an arse. But, everyone has their own opinion on matters, even if those opinions offend the majority.
harrymuffin
harrymuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Racist NBA owner gets unprecedented lifetime ban from league Empty Re: Racist NBA owner gets unprecedented lifetime ban from league

Post by veya_victaous Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:17 am

harrymuffin wrote:I feel like that although,  his remarks were racist.  They were made in his own home.  

He shouldn't be punished for having what he thought,  was a private conversation with his gold-digging girlfriend.

The same as confiding in your spouse or partner.  You may say things to them that you'd not say to anyone else,  because of the trust you've built with them.   And not expect your conversation to be played for the world.

I think he's an arse.  But,  everyone has their own opinion on matters,  even if those opinions offend the majority.

yeah I agree

harsh considering it was not a statement he made publicly

Still Very much a Dickhead though
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by groomsy Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:00 am

he is able to say what he wants, but most of his own team is black, its not harsh at all hes been known as a racist douchebag
groomsy
groomsy
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:19 am

groomsy wrote:he is able to say what he wants, but most of his own team is black, its not harsh at all hes been known as a racist douchebag

But then surely he can be done for that and not a conversation with his Missus  confused
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:05 am

Oprah Winfrey: Racism Will End When All the Old White People Die

“There are still generations of people, older people, who were born and bred and marinated in it — in that prejudice and racism — and they just have to die!”

Back to top Go down

Post by harrymuffin Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:23 am

All the old white people? What about all of the old black people? All of the old red people? All of the old yellow people?

Nice one Oprah, that was a pretty racist statement in itself.
harrymuffin
harrymuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:46 am

Oprah is right though  :asboredas: 
Wait Andy is only 39  :asbluras:  Shit we might be waiting a while

::troll:: 
 ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: ::smthg:: 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by harrymuffin Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:49 am

The correct comment would have been, "When all of the old people of this generation die." Not to single out one race.
harrymuffin
harrymuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:01 pm

harrymuffin wrote:The correct comment would have been, "When all of the old people of this generation die."  Not to single out one race.

I would also think it is a US-centric view  Rolling Eyes 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:14 pm

First of all, Oprah never said the word "white," and she did mention that it's a problem all over the world.

Thanks for making me watch nearly five minutes of Oprah, guys ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:22 pm

Back on topic, I'm not supporting this guy's racism or anything, but I do think the lifetime NBA ban was harsh, or maybe more accurately I think it wasn't needed. I think a better way to handle it would have been to let the public deal with it -- a large boycott would show more convincingly how society condemn's Sterling's views.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by harrymuffin Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:26 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:First of all, Oprah never said the word "white," and she did mention that it's a problem all over the world.

I didn't watch, thank you for clarifying about the ''white'' bit.

My deepest sympathies to you, I'll send flowers Wink 
harrymuffin
harrymuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:27 pm

harrymuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:First of all, Oprah never said the word "white," and she did mention that it's a problem all over the world.

I didn't watch,  thank you for clarifying about the ''white'' bit.

My deepest sympathies to you,  I'll send flowers Wink 

Thanks HM, but could I request a bouquet of tequila instead?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:31 pm

Oh come on... you trying to tell us she was referring to black people?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:36 pm

Tesstacious wrote:

Black people acknowledge that racism works both ways in America, she talked about an entire generation of people from the Southern U.S. "marinating" in racism.

Here's a link to a quote from a hit song by Eminem's rap group from about 10 years ago. He's the only white member of the group:

http://rapgenius.com/D12-aint-nuttin-but-music-lyrics#note-199971

Alot of rappers are living in la la land
That's why I let my dogs out on the Baha men
As bad as a life I had, I'm not mad
I don't need to be a Jackass to beat up my dad
My whole family's country, my grandmother's old fashioned
And she keeps asking me why I rap wit a honky

But granny I'm a flunky I could be a junkie
I could be hanging with the hoochies out at the club scene
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:48 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Tesstacious wrote:

Black people acknowledge that racism works both ways in America, she talked about an entire generation of people from the Southern U.S. "marinating" in racism.

Here's a link to a quote from a hit song by Eminem's rap group from about 10 years ago. He's the only white member of the group:

"Oprah Winfrey is a well-known racist liar... she makes a lot of money from race-baiting..." and mentioning her allegation of racism against her from the Swiss shop assistant when she wanted to buy a handbag...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRa4mdQRv60

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:56 pm

The comments made by by Oprah were poor in that they are the product of racist oppression, because she has grown up with racist oppression, not that this excuses her statement, but to her no doubt many of the older generation were racist to her and others. Again I clearly condemn her point but you also have to look at how such a comment originated from in the first place, where even today there is still so much a problem with racism in the US
So yes her views were very poor but to compare this to the story is not only absurd but again not looking at the whole context of how such a perception would have come about, even though as stated her view point was very wrong as also many of the older white generations stood for civil rights also.

Back to top Go down

Post by harrymuffin Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:03 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
harrymuffin wrote:

I didn't watch,  thank you for clarifying about the ''white'' bit.

My deepest sympathies to you,  I'll send flowers Wink 

Thanks HM, but could I request a bouquet of tequila instead?

You can request it, doesn't mean you'll get it pirat 
harrymuffin
harrymuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:11 pm

Tesstacious wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Tesstacious wrote:

"Oprah Winfrey is a well-known racist liar... she makes a lot of money from race-baiting..."  and mentioning her allegation of racism against her from the Swiss shop assistant when she wanted to buy a handbag...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRa4mdQRv60

James Manning is a far-right, fundamentalist Christian nutjob. His credibility is about that of fellow pinwheel-eyed loonies like Rush Limbaugh.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:56 pm

Meh...this was ultimately an economic decision.  Basketball as a business is saved and will go on.

In his house?  Up his girlfriends ass?  Doesn't matter.  The guy's a racist pig and a racist pig went down. Consider it a sacrifice to the god of poetic justice.

"The universe tends to unfold as it should."  -Harold
Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by groomsy Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:24 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Back on topic, I'm not supporting this guy's racism or anything, but I do think the lifetime NBA ban was harsh, or maybe more accurately I think it wasn't needed. I think a better way to handle it would have been to let the public deal with it -- a large boycott would show more convincingly how society condemn's Sterling's views.

but if he does keep the team and attend games most likely noone will want to play for the clippers, its best for the NBA to ban him
groomsy
groomsy
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu May 01, 2014 1:34 am

groomsy wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:Back on topic, I'm not supporting this guy's racism or anything, but I do think the lifetime NBA ban was harsh, or maybe more accurately I think it wasn't needed. I think a better way to handle it would have been to let the public deal with it -- a large boycott would show more convincingly how society condemn's Sterling's views.

but if he does keep the team and attend games most likely noone will want to play for the clippers, its best for the NBA to ban him

But Ben, that would have been a disaster for the NBA.  No way they would let a public display happen.  That's the very reason for the quick response.

Harsh?  How harsh is it when you sentence someone to life in prison under a  three-strikes law?  How harsh is it when a soldier with three kids is killed in Iraq?  How harsh is it when a baby in a stroller is run down in a crosswalk because the driver was texting?  Put it into perspective.  Sterling was a sacrificial lamb.  At least he was an apt candidate, eh? Good...let's move on.

One thing we ought to consider is the loss of privacy in the 21st-century.  I'm not calling for weeping and moaning, but we better consider that it is a fact.  From Nixon's White House voice-activated tapes, to the revelations on the NSA, it's a fact.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 01, 2014 7:15 am

In what context did Sterling make the remarks? Was he aware he was being recorded?

As abhorrent as I find his views on race, it sounds like someone wants to get their hands on his NBA team or am I being too cynical?

Back to top Go down

Post by groomsy Thu May 01, 2014 8:12 am

lovedust wrote:
In what context did Sterling make the remarks? Was he aware he was being recorded?

As abhorrent as I find his views on race, it sounds like someone wants to get their hands on his NBA team or am I being too cynical?

noone knows who recorded it, wasnt the girlfriend but could of been the wife
groomsy
groomsy
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu May 01, 2014 7:32 pm

groomsy wrote:
lovedust wrote:

noone knows who recorded it, wasnt the girlfriend but could of been the wife

I think it's pretty clear that the girlfriend recorded it. She's heard on the tape goading and asking Sterling leading questions, knowing it would bring out his litany of racial epithets. The girl is being sued by the Sterling family for the value of gifts she received, etc. So, it looks like it was payback.

The problem for her is, it is illegal to record anything (phone call or other) in California without the consent of both (or, all) parties. This happens a lot in whistleblower and wrongful termination cases, and the defendant typically comes back asking for exclusion of the recording on the basis that it was illegally obtained.

If this girl wants to use this tape at all in a court, she now has to deny any involvement in its release.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down