NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weight-loss fraudster apologetic as he goes to jail

5 posters

Go down

Weight-loss fraudster apologetic as he goes to jail Empty Weight-loss fraudster apologetic as he goes to jail

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:29 am

CHICAGO - Bestselling author Kevin Trudeau, whose name became synonymous with late-night TV pitches, was sentenced to 10 years in prison Monday for bilking consumers through ubiquitous infomercials for his book, "The Weight Loss Cure 'They' Don't Want You to Know About."

As he imposed the sentence prosecutors had requested, U.S. District Judge Ronald Guzman portrayed the 50-year-old Trudeau as a habitual fraudster going back to his early adulthood. So brazen was Trudeau, the judge said, he once even used his own mother's Social Security number in a scheme.

"Since his 20s, he has steadfastly attempted to cheat others for his own gain," Guzman said, adding that Trudeau is "deceitful to the very core."

Trudeau, whose trademark dyed black hair turned partially grey as he awaited sentencing in jail, showed little emotion as the stiff sentence was handed down at the hearing in Chicago.

Addressing the judge earlier in a 10-minute statement, Trudeau apologized and said he's become a changed man. He said he's meditated, prayed and read self-help books while locked up at Chicago's Metropolitan Correctional Center.

"I have truly had a significant reawakening," said Trudeau, who was dressed in orange jail clothes. "If I ever do an infomercial again ... I promise: No embellishments, no puffery, no lies."

http://www.calgaryherald.com/entertainment/pitchman+Kevin+Trudeau+sentenced+years+federal+prison/9635525/story.html
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Weight-loss fraudster apologetic as he goes to jail Empty Re: Weight-loss fraudster apologetic as he goes to jail

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:31 am

This is the type of person the alternative-medicine crowd puts on a pedestal, glad to see he's paying for all the pain he's caused.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Weight-loss fraudster apologetic as he goes to jail Empty Re: Weight-loss fraudster apologetic as he goes to jail

Post by eddie Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:26 am

Tbh I don't think any miracles cures or diets work.

I'm not even sure why those Adios pills can still be sold legally??
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:29 pm

eddie wrote:Tbh I don't think any miracles cures or diets work.

I think it's down to the fact that money talks, tbh. What's amazing about the Adios pills is that right there in their promotional literature they say the pills won't "work" unless you also adopt a calorie-controlled diet and increase your exercise ... well, when you do that you obviously have no need for a pill! Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:30 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:Tbh I don't think any miracles cures or diets work.

I think it's down to the fact that money talks, tbh. What's amazing about the Adios pills is that right there in their promotional literature they say the pills won't "work" unless you also adopt a calorie-controlled diet and increase your exercise ... well, when you do that you obviously have no need for a pill! Smile

Well quite!
But that adios pill also makes you poo out fat! I know a few people that tried it and all it does is stop your body digesting (ingesting?) fat.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:38 pm

All of his books talked in vague terms and then for the REAL answers to your questions you had to go to his Web site and pay another fee to get an even more vague answer. The man was a genius at fraud.
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:05 am

Lurker wrote:All of his books talked in vague terms and then for the REAL answers to your questions you had to go to his Web site and pay another fee to get an even more vague answer. The man was a genius at fraud.

Correct but isn't that the way for most self help gurus like the Secret or these religious leaders' courses? It's all a sham designed to prey on people's insecurities and make somebody else rich. Its like most of the "as seen on Tv "products - most of them are complete crap.

Apropos of topic - sort of - Mr. C. bought me a hot pink snuggie for Xmas one year....he was lucky that he survived....I will say the dryer snake thingummy did work though....
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down