NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where is the Webb now? The 'doomsday' space event happening this weekend

3 posters

Go down

Where is the Webb now? The 'doomsday' space event happening this weekend Empty Where is the Webb now? The 'doomsday' space event happening this weekend

Post by Caution Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:18 am

I'm hoping for a smooth shot up and over to Lagrange point L2, but if there's any problems that ruin it I'm going to call it a doomsday event. Losing this would be a huge setback.
Scientists must be throwing up from anxiety right now.
Caution
Caution
the Ghost who mods, Lord of the Shadow realms, *may contain peanuts

Back to top Go down

Where is the Webb now? The 'doomsday' space event happening this weekend Empty Re: Where is the Webb now? The 'doomsday' space event happening this weekend

Post by Tommy Monk Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:18 pm

Sorry to sound a bit thick... But I've absolutely no idea what you're talking about...

Could you elaborate a little...?

lol!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Where is the Webb now? The 'doomsday' space event happening this weekend Empty Re: Where is the Webb now? The 'doomsday' space event happening this weekend

Post by gelico Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:16 pm

Caution wrote:I'm hoping for a smooth shot up and over to Lagrange point L2, but if there's any problems that ruin it I'm going to call it a doomsday event. Losing this would be a huge setback.
Scientists must be throwing up from anxiety right now.

are you talking golf?

or firing missiles?

trying to make sense of this lol

gelico
Forum Detective

Back to top Go down

Post by Caution Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:09 pm

The Webb is the Hubble's "replacement" that's being shot up into the sky this weekend.
Caution
Caution

Back to top Go down

Post by Caution Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:21 pm

Look at all the stuff it has to do on the way to L2!

Where is the Webb now? The 'doomsday' space event happening this weekend 750x0

More info...
NASA's James Webb Space Telescope Will Never Live As Long As Hubble

Astronomers "Crying and Throwing Up Everywhere" Over the Upcoming Telescope Launch
Caution
Caution

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:30 pm

Ah... Ok... I see.

Thanks!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:05 pm

Yes I had heard a little bit about this new supertelescope being built and launched... And apparently the deployment up into the atmosphere was a success and it has opened up all its shields and solar panels etc too a couple of weeks ago...

Has there been any pictures/data from it yet though?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Caution Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:18 pm

No data yet, that wont be for a few more months. They need to do a lot of work calibrating the telescope. They might release some images from that.

It arrived at its orbital insertion point TODAY and NASA is going to do a press conference in 45 minutes about this.

So yeah, things are happening, all swimmingly!

Caution
Caution

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down