NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Criminals across the globe tricked into discussing murder plots, etc on FBI messaging app

4 posters

Go down

Criminals across the globe tricked into discussing murder plots, etc on FBI messaging app Empty Criminals across the globe tricked into discussing murder plots, etc on FBI messaging app

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:01 am

BBC:

BBC News
Skip to content
Sections
HomeUKWorldBusinessPoliticsTechScienceHealthFamily & EducationEntertainment & ArtsStories
ANOM: Hundreds arrested in massive global crime sting
8 June 2021, 04:59 BST
Updated 41 minutes ago
Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison (left) and Australian Federal Police commissioner Reece Kershaw
IMAGE SOURCE,REUTERS
Image caption,
Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison (left) revealed the nation's largest-ever police operation

Law enforcement agencies say they have arrested hundreds of criminals around the world in a three-year operation, using a secure messaging app run by the American FBI.

The operation, jointly conceived by Australia and the FBI, saw the app ANOM secretly distributed among criminals, allowing police to monitor their conversations without their knowledge.

It has led to arrests in 18 countries.

They include suspects linked to the mafia and organised criminal groups.

Drugs, weapons and cash have also been seized.

Australia said it had arrested 224 people as a result of the operation, and had acted on 20 "threats to kill", potentially saving the lives of a "significant number of innocent bystanders".

The country's prime minister called the sting a "watershed" operation that had hit criminal gangs globally.

"[It] has struck a heavy blow against organised crime - not just in this country, but one that will echo around organised crime around the world," Scott Morrison said in a press conference.

New Zealand, which detained 35 people, called the operation the "world's most sophisticated law enforcement action against organised crime to date".

The FBI and Europol will present more details later on Tuesday.

How did ANOM work?
New Zealand police said that after the FBI had dismantled two other encryption services, it began operating its own encrypted device company called ANOM.

Devices with the chat app were distributed in the criminal underworld.

Australian police said the devices were initially used by alleged senior crime figures, giving other criminals the confidence to use the platform.

A gun seized by the Australian police
IMAGE SOURCE,AUSTRALIAN FEDERAL POLICE
Image caption,
Weapons were seized as part of the operation

Fugitive Australian drug trafficker Hakan Ayik was key to the sting, having unwittingly recommended the app to criminal associates after being given a handset by undercover officers, they said.

"You had to know a criminal to get hold of one of these customised phones. The phones couldn't ring or email. You could only communicate with someone on the same platform," the police explained.

Officers were able to read millions of messages in "real time" describing murder plots, mass drug import plans and other schemes.

"All they talk about is drugs, violence, hits on each other, innocent people who are going to be murdered, a whole range of things," said Australian Federal Police commissioner Reece Kershaw.

Commissioner Kershaw said Ayik was a marked man and should turn himself in.

What did the authorities uncover?
Commissioner Kershaw said that in Australia, police had been able to intercept drug operations and prevent incidents such as mass shootings.

Qantas 'disturbed' by claims of gang infiltration
The more than 200 arrests in the country included members of outlaw motorcycle gangs, Australian mafia groups, Asian crime syndicates and serious and organised crime groups.

Australian police have also seized three tonnes of drugs and A$45m (£25m; $35m) in cash and assets.

A man is arrested in Australia as part of Operation Ironside
IMAGE SOURCE,AUSTRALIAN FEDERAL POLICE
Image caption,
More than 200 people were arrested in Australia

Authorities said their sting, which they called Operation Ironside, was the nation's largest police operation and involved 4,000 police officers.

Some 9,000 police officers were involved worldwide.

"Knocking out their communications has been a key part of us disrupting the organised crime," Commissioner Kershaw said.

He said the app access had given law enforcement "an edge that it had never had before", but added the platform was just one of many messaging apps favoured by organised crime gangs.

New Zealand police said they had laid more than 900 charges in relation to the 35 people arrested.

About NZ$3.7m (£1.9m, $2.7m) of assets were seized.

"We believe the termination of these operations will have a significant impact on New Zealand's organised crime scene," National Organised Crime Group Director Detective Superintendent Greg Williams said.

Presentational grey line
You might also be interested in:
In 2020 major crime figures were among over 800 Europe-wide arrests after messages on another encrypted app, EncroChat, were intercepted and decoded.

Video caption,
The BBC's Tom Symonds is shown how a customised Android phone with EncroChat installed works

Related content
A Qantas plane takes off from the Sydney International airport on May 6, 2021
Qantas 'disturbed' by claims of gang infiltration
7 June 2021
Packets of bank notes
Hundreds arrested as crime chat network cracked
2 July 2020
Top Stories
Scramble to return as Portugal joins amber list
3 hours ago
What's happening with foreign travel?
5 hours ago
Donate jabs now or risk wasting doses, says Unicef
5 hours ago
Features & Analysis
Suzie Vaughan and her daughters
1:32
Video,'I thought I would never see my mum again', Duration 1,32
5 hours ago
Jimi Olubunmi-Adewole
3:11
Video,Call for Thames hero to be honoured, Duration 3,11
5 hours ago
Accredited Social Health Activist (ASHA) worker Leelavati, 38, poses for a picture during an interview with AFP in Bahadarpur village in Meerut district.
6:46
Video,The 'missing' Covid deaths in rural India, Duration 6,46
6 hours ago
Collage of Khin Maung Latt (L) and Zaw Myat Lynn (R)
The mysterious deaths of Myanmar's opposition officials
6 hours ago
Woman in Myanmar carrying a sack of rice
Who stands to lose out from UK aid cuts?
7 June 2021
Bill Clinton
3:57
Video,Bill Clinton: Why fiction beats reality, Duration 3,57
6 hours ago
A Cricket player holding a baby
The players matching maternity with elite cricket
6 hours ago
The outsider who became a global televangelist star
6 hours ago
When and where can I ride an e-scooter legally?
7 June 2021
Why some fans say they boo England players taking the knee
7 June 2021
The models who appear to disappear
7 June 2021
Toppling Colston's statue: How do people feel now?
7 June 2021
No room for error in Robinson investigation - Agnew
7 June 2021
You jabbed me at hello
BBC News
Why you can trust the BBC
Terms of Use
About the BBC
Privacy Policy
Cookies
Accessibility Help
Contact the BBC
AdChoices / Do Not Sell My Info
© 2021 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read about our approach to external linking.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Criminals across the globe tricked into discussing murder plots, etc on FBI messaging app Empty Re: Criminals across the globe tricked into discussing murder plots, etc on FBI messaging app

Post by Maddog Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:19 pm

How did they distribute these phones to these people?

In any event, this is nothing new for US spooks to get around our privacy laws. Use foreign agencies to spy on their people, and relay the information back to us. Assuming we didn't have court orders to use this app on Americans.

It is pretty ingenious even if I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Criminals across the globe tricked into discussing murder plots, etc on FBI messaging app Empty Re: Criminals across the globe tricked into discussing murder plots, etc on FBI messaging app

Post by Original Quill Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:15 pm

Maddog wrote:...this is nothing new for US spooks to get around our privacy laws.

With an Alexa/Echo in every home, a wireless monitor in the nursery, and/or perhaps in your bathroom, and a wireless speaker/lock on your front door, you might as well be talking to the world anyway.

There is no expectation of privacy when we voluntarily and willingly give it away anyway.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:22 am

Maddog wrote:How did they distribute these phones to these people?  

In any event, this is nothing new for US spooks to get around our privacy laws.  Use foreign agencies to spy on their people, and relay the information back to us. Assuming we didn't have court orders to use this app on Americans.

Looks like this is the best info on that from the article:

"Fugitive Australian drug trafficker Hakan Ayik was key to the sting, having unwittingly recommended the app to criminal associates after being given a handset by undercover officers, they said."
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:29 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:...this is nothing new for US spooks to get around our privacy laws.

With an Alexa/Echo in every home, a wireless monitor in the nursery, and/or perhaps in your bathroom, and a wireless speaker/lock on your front door, you might as well be talking to the world anyway.

There is no expectation of privacy when we voluntarily and willingly give it away anyway.

So no need for court orders to record conversations anymore?

I missed that ruling.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:31 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Maddog wrote:How did they distribute these phones to these people?  

In any event, this is nothing new for US spooks to get around our privacy laws.  Use foreign agencies to spy on their people, and relay the information back to us. Assuming we didn't have court orders to use this app on Americans.

Looks like this is the best info on that from the article:

"Fugitive Australian drug trafficker Hakan Ayik was key to the sting, having unwittingly recommended the app to criminal associates after being given a handset by undercover officers, they said."

I read in another article that he's a Turk and the authorities strongly encourage him to turn himself in for his own safety, as there are folks not real happy with him right now.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:02 pm

I would definitely have had a problem with this app sting if it was sweeping up innocent people's conversations, NSA style. The fact that the app was designed and "marketed" to criminals, however, changes things a bit.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:14 am

Ben Reilly wrote:I would definitely have had a problem with this app sting if it was sweeping up innocent people's conversations, NSA style. The fact that the app was designed and "marketed" to criminals, however, changes things a bit.

Can't call them criminals until after they are convicted. I imagine they had court orders, or they just focused on people outside of the US..
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:43 pm

Maddog wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:I would definitely have had a problem with this app sting if it was sweeping up innocent people's conversations, NSA style. The fact that the app was designed and "marketed" to criminals, however, changes things a bit.

Can't call them criminals until after they are convicted.

That is a point that I keep trying to get across...all these stories about Muslims raping girls, or stabbings, etc., and no convictions. It didn't happen until the facts are judged.

But here, if a sting operation is going to work, you have to select a most likely candidate. I think that's the sense in which they mean "criminals". Perhaps "potential criminals" would work. But this goes to deceptive operations, which raise ethical and moral questions, as the victim, who is otherwise innocent, is lured into committing a crime through means which are themselves “culpable”. https://www.outlookindia.com/website/story/opinion-are-sting-operations-legal-and-moral/344130

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:38 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:

That is a point that I keep trying to get across...all these stories about Muslims raping girls, or stabbings, etc., and no convictions.  It didn't happen until the facts are judged.

Where are the stories of Muslims raping girls where no convictions follow?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:50 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

That is a point that I keep trying to get across...all these stories about Muslims raping girls, or stabbings, etc., and no convictions.  It didn't happen until the facts are judged.

She has a point.

The discussions I see around here refer to convictions, not allegations.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:16 pm

Over the last few years, hundreds of men, mostly Muslim from Pakistani origin, have been charged, convicted and jailed from all the places listed below.
This list is a few years old, since then other gangs in the  UK have been convicted of grooming, raping, and passing around young, mostly white and underprivileged  kids to their families and friends.

The police have said they have only scratched the surface, investigations are ongoing in other towns and cities across the UK.

SKIPTON
ROTHERHAM
SHEFFIELD
BLACKPOOL
OXFORD
HALIFAX
BRADFORD
IPSWICH
LONDON
TELFORD
PRESTON
DERBY
TORBAY
BRISTOL
BANBURY
CHESHAM
BARKING
BIRMINGHAM
BLACKBURN
ROCHDALE
LEEDS
STOCKPORT
AYLESBURY
YEOVIL
NEWCASTLE
BURTON
ACCRINGTON
ORMSKIRK
KEIGHLEY
MANCHESTER
OLDHAM
PETERBOROUGH
DEWSBURY
LITTLEHAMPTON
MIDDLESBOROUGH
SLOUGH.
CALDERDALE.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:20 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

That is a point that I keep trying to get across...all these stories about Muslims raping girls, or stabbings, etc., and no convictions. It didn't happen until the facts are judged.

It's not those convictions (or acquittal) never follow; it is that we are asked to pass judgment in a thread about it before a jury passes a verdict.

Basically (I repeat), it's the same issue raised by MD, with respect to target stings:

Maddog wrote:Can't call them criminals until after they are convicted.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:22 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

It's not those convictions (or acquittal) never follow; it is that we are asked to pass judgment in a thread about it before a jury passes a verdict.

Basically (I repeat), it's the same issue raised by MD, with respect to target stings:

Maddog wrote:Can't call them criminals until after they are convicted.

The list I posted was where gangs have been tried, judged and convicted.
I dont recall anyone passing judgment on any paedophile gangs before they have been convicted.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:32 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

The list I posted was where gangs  have been tried, judged and convicted.
I dont recall anyone passing judgment on any paedophile gangs before they have been convicted.

I'll point it out to you, next time it happens.

Last edited by Original Quill on Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:36 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

The list I posted was where gangs  have been tried, judged and convicted.

OK.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Maddog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:33 am

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

OK.

That's pretty rich coming from the one poster who has no qualms about speculation on topics he can't possibly know.

Now he requires proof?

Remind him the next time he engages in speculation and conjecture.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:56 am

I have found a thread started about Muslm gangs in Calderdale, charged but not yet convicted.....maybe Quill was thinking of that.
The men listed below are all charged with offences against ONE young girl who was just 13 years old when she was groomed.
The vast majority of the young victims have not had their day in court... and never will.

29 Men Charged in Connection with Child Sexual Exploitation in Calderdale

Asad Ali, 37, of Brighouse, is charged with two counts of rape.
Ajmal Aziz, 39 of Halifax, is charged with three counts of rape and attempted rape.
Mohammed Jangier, 44, of Halifax, is charged with rape.
Mohammed Asif, 36, of Halifax, is charged with two counts of rape.
Harris Ahmed Butt, 37, of Halifax, is charged with two counts of rape and two counts of indecent assault.
Taukeer Butt, 36, of Halifax, is charged with three counts of rape.
Muitasim Khan, 40, of Halifax, is charged with rape.
Mohammed Hamza, 47, of Halifax, is charged with rape.
Mohsin Mir, 40, of Halifax, is charged with three counts of rape.
Javid Mir, 38, of Halifax, is charged with rape.
Haroon Saddique, 37, of Bradford, is charged with two counts of rape.
Zahir Iqbal, 41, of Halifax, is charged with two counts of rape.
Sarfraz Rabnawaz, 35, of Bradford, is charged with two counts of rape.
Wajid Addalat, 43, of Halifax, is charged with rape.
Sajid Addalat, 45, of Halifax, is charged with two counts of rape.
Nazim Hussain, 43, of Bradford, is charged with conspiracy to rape.
Nadeem Saddiqque, 43, of Sheffield, is charged with rape.
Saquab Hussain, 43, of Halifax, is charged with two counts of rape.
Sadakat Ali, 48, of Bradford, is charged with rape.
Ziarab Mohammed, 48, of Halifax, is charged with two counts of rape.
Imran Raja Yasin, 41, of Halifax, is charged with two counts of rape.
Zulfiqar Ali, 40, of Bradford, is charged with two counts of rape.
Malik Abid Qadeer, 64, of Halifax, is charged with five counts of rape.
Kamran Amin, 45, of Halifax, is charged with two counts of rape.
Mohammed Akhtar, 51, of Halifax, is charged with two counts of rape.
Ali Zulfiqar, 38, of Halifax, is charged with two counts of rape.
Shafiq Ali Rafiq, 40, of Dewsbury, is charged with two counts of rape.
Amir Shaban, 45, of Halifax, is charged with rape.
Sakeb Nazir, 36, of Halifax, is charged with two counts of rape.

For years Calderdale has been an ongoing hotbed where these gangs have operated, been charged, convicted and jailed. It's also where the police have said the surface has only been scratched.
It's very likely that some of these men recently charged were jailed previously for grooming and raping young kids. The sentences some of them receive are so light they are back on the same streets before the girls they groomed have even left their teens.
The men listed above are charged with this abuse from years back.
God knows why it takes so long to bring some of these gangs to justice...apathy, fear of being called racist, corruption, or just disinterest because the victims are mostly from  lower working class homes, often in care, vulnerable and open to be abused😢

https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/news-appeals/29-men-charged-connection-child-sexual-exploitation-calderdale
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:13 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:

The trial of the men listed above starts next month. IF there are no convictions I will be sure to update the thread Quill.

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Maddog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down