NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Google's "Allo" messaging app will try to read your mind

2 posters

Go down

Google's "Allo" messaging app will try to read your mind Empty Google's "Allo" messaging app will try to read your mind

Post by Ben Reilly Thu May 19, 2016 10:22 pm

As you chat with friends and family, Allo will automatically analyze what you’re saying and suggest quick replies so you don’t have to type out a full response on your own. It will even analyze photos that arrive from friends and suggest replies based on what it “sees” in these images. If someone sends you a photo of a graduation ceremony, for instance, Allo will offer a “congratulations” or a “well done,” and you can chose to send—or not. But above all else, Allo is different because of the way it lets you interact with that centerpiece of Internet life: the Google search engine.

From inside Allo, Google says, you can chat with its search engine as you chat with everyone else. While wishing your sister a happy birthday, you can ask a Google bot to serve up an appropriately festive photo. As you discuss the works of the playwright Alan Bennett with a colleague, you can ask the bot for his bio. If you’re chatting with your old college buddies, trying to arrange a dinner, you can ask the bot for restaurant suggestions and even make a reservation. “Where this gets really powerful,” says Amit Fulay, the Google product manager who oversees Allo, “is when you can bring the assistant into group conversations.”

But Google’s big idea goes farther than that. As Google director of engineering Erik Kay describes it, the vision is to bring all sorts of online information and services directly into your online conversations. Rather than bring all your friends into one app and then another and then another, he says, you can bring the apps to them, all via a Google-supplied layer of artificial intelligence.

http://www.wired.com/2016/05/googles-new-allo-messaging-app-gets-edge-ai/
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Google's "Allo" messaging app will try to read your mind Empty Re: Google's "Allo" messaging app will try to read your mind

Post by Cass Fri May 20, 2016 12:19 am

My iphone already does that through imessage or through facebook messenger. It both freaks me out and pisses me off.

And it gets it totally wrong sometimes. I want Mr. C to stop and get a bottle of wine not a battle of wind - although to be fair if he eats certain foods it can get unpleasant.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down