NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TEXAS..an exercise in the failure of conservatism

+2
Maddog
Original Quill
6 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

TEXAS..an exercise in the failure of conservatism Empty TEXAS..an exercise in the failure of conservatism

Post by Original Quill Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:58 pm

Texas = conservatism >> austerity >> deregulation >> inferior services >> no power >> leaving the public helpless and suffering.

TEXAS..an exercise in the failure of conservatism ?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.beam.usnews.com%2F33%2F32%2F0b847c5c43dd939abc2d481a1d36%2F210216newsweather-editorial

Now, see the sorry excuses:

Sound familiar? Trump-like? Lies? No productivity because inferior grid, because of deregulation, because of austerity, because of inferior governing:

Texas is the only state in the union that de-couples from the nationwide power grid, and goes it alone with the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT). The Republican government of Texas is solely responsible for the losses and unreliability of Texas power. ERCOT is a membership-based 501(c)(4) nonprofit corporation, governed by a board of directors and subject to oversight by the Public Utility Commission of Texas and the Texas Legislature.

No heat because of no fossil fuels. Delivery for natural gas frozen. No electricity because no power generators. No water because no pumps, and inferior distribution facility freezing. People dying because burning alternative fuels indoors: automobiles; charcoal; propane...etc. Suspension of all vaccine activity. Hospitals exporting patients to other states. All because of austerity >> deregulation >> inferior services >> huge failure for the people of Texas >> illness and death.

In the next decade Texas will become a blue state. Note the difference when that happens. Cool

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

TEXAS..an exercise in the failure of conservatism Empty Re: TEXAS..an exercise in the failure of conservatism

Post by Guest Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:33 pm

Meanwhile Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) flys to Cancun while millions of his residents are freezing amid mass power outages.

Back to top Go down

TEXAS..an exercise in the failure of conservatism Empty Re: TEXAS..an exercise in the failure of conservatism

Post by Maddog Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:46 am

Korben wrote:Meanwhile Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) flys to Cancun while millions of his residents are freezing amid mass power outages.

Definitely poor optics, but a legislator isn't going to be of much use now, unless he can fix pipes.

But he should know better.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:18 am

W/b MD. Hope you fared well during the Texas freeze. Tell us what it was like?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:14 am

Original Quill wrote:W/b MD.  Hope you fared well during the Texas freeze.  Tell us what it was like?

I was fine. Never lost power but I lost water. Pipes froze and broke in my building. Office got power 2 days ago and have been working.

Roads were terrible , but I have 4wd so I roll right though it.

Tomorrow all hell will break lose as the thaw starts. Frozen pipes will begin to leak and flood buildings.

The electric grid is going to have to be winterized to some degree. While these temps haven't happened in 40 years, we need to have a better response ready.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:58 pm

I saw that apartment building that burned to the ground, while fireman could only look on, because there was no water in the hydrants. It was on GMA this morning.

How frustrating.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:50 pm

TEXAS..an exercise in the failure of conservatism Fb_im155

North Texas is used to some cold weather. The Panhandle has weather like Kansas.

But this is Galveston and those are palm trees. It's not only affecting humans, but the flora and fauna is taking a huge hit in the gulf coast areas.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:17 pm

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/2/18/thousands-of-cold-stunned-sea-turtles-rescued-from-us-freeze

Even sea turtles are suffering.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:40 pm

Maddog wrote:https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/2/18/thousands-of-cold-stunned-sea-turtles-rescued-from-us-freeze

I saw this on the news last night. Poor things. Crying or Very sad

I'm glad you didn't suffer too much in the severe weather Maddog....hopefully the thaw wont cause you many problems.

We have had it mild in comparison to Texas....though it was -5 or 6 on a few nights last week. That was celsius though not fahrenheit.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:57 pm

Syl wrote:
Maddog wrote:https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/2/18/thousands-of-cold-stunned-sea-turtles-rescued-from-us-freeze

I saw this on the news last night. Poor things. Crying or Very sad

I'm glad you didn't suffer too much in the severe weather Maddog....hopefully the thaw wont cause you many problems.

We have had it mild in comparison to Texas....though it was -5 or 6 on a few nights last week. That was celsius though not fahrenheit.

My brother went 4 days without power. Two of my my daughters lost power several times and bugged out to friends homes that still had it.

The human loss is mostly just inconvenience, but the property loss will be historic. Even our worst hurricanes have never affected so many people.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:07 pm

Climate change will continue to cause things like deep freezes hitting places where palm trees grow, and it will become more and more frequent.

Investing in disaster preparedness isn't something that can be achieved when you run the leanest version of government tolerable. Texas will either have to suffer again or move a bit to the left in its political philosophy.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Original Quill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:28 pm

I have a lemon tree in my garden full of lemons. How mad is that?
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:44 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Climate change will continue to cause things like deep freezes hitting places where palm trees grow, and it will become more and more frequent.

Investing in disaster preparedness isn't something that can be achieved when you run the leanest version of government tolerable. Texas will either have to suffer again or move a bit to the left in its political philosophy.

It's not so much as a move left as it is acknowledging that we will have to spend a little more money to protect against once every 30 year events. It's all about cost benefit analysis.

I doubt the UK is ready for 10 days in a row over 100°. Should they be? Who knows.

California is way to the left of Texas and they lose power in good weather.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:49 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Climate change will continue to cause things like deep freezes hitting places where palm trees grow, and it will become more and more frequent.

And while this is the second worst in my life time in terms of duration, it's well behind many of them from 75 and 100 years ago.  

I think global warming has lulled us to sleep and we weren't ready for something that was far more common 50-100 years ago.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:50 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:I have a lemon tree in my garden full of lemons.   How mad is that?

Do the freezes not kill it?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:20 am

It has been said on the news here that Texas relies heavily on wind turbines for their electricity power generation and the turbines don't work in low temperatures because the mechanism freezes up...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:45 am

About 56 percent of Texas' energy comes from natural gas, just under 24 percent comes from wind, 19 percent from coal, and almost 9 percent from nuclear energy.https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fact-check-renewable-energy-not-blame-texas-energy-crisis-n1258185

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:56 am

The bitingly cold temperatures have caused major problems across the energy sector in Texas.

Wind turbines froze, as well as vital equipment at gas wells and in the nuclear industry.

But because gas and other non-renewable energies contribute far more to the grid than wind power, particularly in winter, these shortages had a far greater impact on the system.

On Tuesday, the state's principal energy supplier, the Electricity Reliability Council of Texas (Ercot), said the freezing conditions had led to:

30GW being taken offline from gas, coal and nuclear sources

a 16GW loss in capacity in wind and other renewable energy supplies

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-56085733

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:17 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

The bitingly cold temperatures have caused major problems across the energy sector in Texas.

Wind turbines froze, as well as vital equipment at gas wells and in the nuclear industry.

But because gas and other non-renewable energies contribute far more to the grid than wind power, particularly in winter, these shortages had a far greater impact on the system.

On Tuesday, the state's principal energy supplier, the Electricity Reliability Council of Texas (Ercot), said the freezing conditions had led to:

a 16GW loss in capacity in wind and other renewable energy supplies

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-56085733

So Texas Does NOT rely heavily on wind turbines for their electricity power then ,in fact In its plan for an extreme winter weather event, Ercot says it expects only 7% to be provided by wind energy.

And to be Honest i have never seen your original point claimed on Uk news .......where did you see that ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:32 pm

It was just something I heard mentioned on the general news somewhere...

I hadn't checked the details, but just thought I'd mention it here as may have been relevant to this thread.

And it is true that the wind turbines have frozen and has contributed to a substantial part of the power loss.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:38 pm

As a Marine engineer What i can say is the lubricants used on the turbines and the other equipment that froze are unlikely to have been low temperature ones ie ones formulated especially to work in low temperature environments especially in Texas, where a lubricant that has good heat transfer property's would be more appropriate.

We had on occasions similar problems with equipment on board ships in arctic conditions

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:42 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

It was just something I heard mentioned on the general news somewhere...

I hadn't checked the details, but just thought I'd mention it here as may have been relevant to this thread.

And it is true that the wind turbines have frozen and has contributed to a substantial part of the power loss.

While it is true some froze to claim they contributed to a "substantial" loss is way over stating, 7% to 20% is not substantial by any measure

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:48 pm

Wind turbines in the Arctic that work fine because they are designed to work in those conditions(right type of lubricant perhaps)

TEXAS..an exercise in the failure of conservatism Index10

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:52 pm

Well... Firstly, the total power in US generated by wind is 105,583 megawatts (MW)... With Texas generating 28,843 MW of this, so it could well be said that they have a heavy reliance on wind power in comparison to the rest of the US as well as most other countries in the world.

And if you read the above BBC article I posted then you can see that the loss from wind power failure and other renewable sources was just over a third of the total power lost.

Last edited by Tommy Monk on Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:04 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

Well... Firstly, the total power in US generated by wind is 105,583 megawatts (MW)... With Texas generating  28,843 MW of this, it could well said that they have a heavy reliance on wind power in comparison to the rest of the US as well as most other countries in the world.

And if you read the above BBC article I posted then you can see that the loss from wind power failure and other renewable sources was just over a third of the total power lost.

I did and it doesn't Did you read all of it ?

gas and other non-renewable energies contribute far more to the grid than wind power, particularly in winter, these shortages had a far greater impact on the system.

when critics pointed to a loss of nearly half of Texas's wind-energy capacity as a result of frozen turbines, they failed to point out double that amount was being lost from gas and other non-renewable supplies such as coal and nuclear.

And on average, renewable energy sources - mostly wind - account for about 20% of its electricity supply.

In its plan for an extreme winter weather event, Ercot says it expects only 7% to be provided by wind energy.

Dan Woodfin said: "It appears that a lot of the generation that has gone offline today has been primarily due to issues on the natural gas system."

Oh and the picture of the  helicopter, using fossil fuels, spraying de-icer, made with fossil fuels, to de-ice a wind turbine, manufactured using fossil fuels, that is supposed to produce clean energy without using fossil fuels," TEXAS..an exercise in the failure of conservatism _1170410
But the picture actually shows ice being removed from a wind turbine in Sweden, using hot water.

it was your link

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:07 pm

It was a BBC article.

What's your point?
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:09 pm

16GW loss in capacity in wind and other renewable energy supplies

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:20 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

It was a BBC article.

What's your point?
My point ? FFS it was your link
and i am using the information in YOUR LINK

A link that disproves your first point multiple times

whats your point?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:49 pm

Well... you disputed that Texas was heavily reliant on wind power first of all... I showed that in comparison with other US states, as well as with vast majority of other countries in the world, Texas has a higher percentage of power generated by wind, in fact Texas accounts for over a quarter of the US wind power production, and creates more than 25 other US states combined!

So it could well be said that Texas has a heavy reliance on wind power... Something you were quick to jump on me to argue against...

Secondly... You said you had never heard anything on UK news about wind turbines freezing and failing in Texas because of the cold... So I posted up a recent BBC link that shows this is being reported in UK news.

If you have any problems with the rest of the content in the article... Then take it up with the BBC and the journalist who wrote the piece...

lol!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:19 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

Well... you disputed that Texas was heavily reliant on wind power first of all... I showed that in comparison with other US states, as well as with vast majority of other countries in the world, Texas has a higher percentage of power generated by wind, in fact Texas accounts for over a quarter of the US wind power production, and creates more than 25 other US states combined!

So it could well be said that Texas has a heavy reliance on wind power... Something you were quick to jump on me to argue against...

Secondly... You said you had never heard anything on UK news about wind turbines freezing and failing in Texas because of the cold... So I posted up a recent BBC link that shows this is being reported in UK news.

If you have any problems with the rest of the content in the article... Then take it up with the BBC and the journalist who wrote the piece...

lol!

FFs Its Not  Texas is NOT heavily reliant on wind power your links says that and i pointed that out i did Not "Jump" on you i posted a link to a fact checking site that says you are wrong
And the link you posted to the BBC does NOT say that ether

Also do not Put words in my mouth i did not say i had had never heard anything on UK news about wind turbines freezing and failing in Texas because of the cold.
That is a lie

in fact i gave a reason for why they may have frozen

its you that has a problem with the content in the article Not me ,it was your article, your link,pity you did not read it first

I knew it was a mistake to point out you where wrong Because all you do is look for a reason to cause conflict and start a argument do you get some perverse pleasure from it  ?

This is why people leave the forum you cant accept you made a mistake ,read the information wrong ,drew the wrong conclusions, then start a argument over the very facts you your self posted

20% is not a third of anything
nether is 7%
My math isn't great but that i know that

Its pathological with you

Grow the fuck up dude

Last edited by Korben on Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:31 pm

Also you claim  you showed that in comparison with other US states, as well as with vast majority of other countries in the world, Texas has a higher percentage of power generated by wind, in fact Texas accounts for over a quarter of the US wind power production, and creates more than 25 other US states combined!??

Not on this thread you haven't please point to that post

TEXAS..an exercise in the failure of conservatism 220px-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:37 pm

You posted a link to ABC news... I didn't see you post any link to any fact checking site that said I was wrong, as you just claimed above...

I've shown that Texas has a higher percentage of power produced by wind than most other countries in the world and produces over a quarter of the total US production of wind power... So it could well be said that Texas is heavily reliant on wind power...

I also showed that a third of the power production lost in Texas because of the cold was from wind and renewables.

And I showed that the freezing of wind turbines has been reported on UK news.

And you did say this...

"And to be Honest i have never seen your original point claimed on Uk news .......where did you see that ?"

So don't lie...

lol!

Last edited by Tommy Monk on Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:45 pm

As of January 2020, the total installed wind power nameplate generating capacity in the United States was 105,583 megawatts (MW).

Texas, with 28,843 MW of capacity, about 16.8% of the state's electricity usage, had the most installed wind power capacity of any U.S. state at the end of 2019.[6] Texas also had more under construction than any other state currently has installed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_the_United_States

"...The state of Texas alone produces a quarter of the US’s wind power with 24.9GW, providing more wind power than 25 other US states combined..."

https://www.power-technology.com/features/wind-energy-by-country/

lol!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:55 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

The above is from the BBC article I posted earlier.

Therefore, a third of power generation lost because of the cold was from wind and renewables...

lol!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:06 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

You posted a link to ABC news...

I've shown that Texas has a higher percentage of power produced by wind than most other countries in the world and produces over a quarter of the total US production of wind power... So it could well be said that Texas is heavily reliant on wind power...

I also showed that a third of the power production lost in Texas because of the cold was from wind and renewables.

And I showed that the freezing of wind turbines has been reported on UK news.

And you did say this...

"And to be Honest i have never seen your original point claimed on Uk news .......where did you see that ?"

So don't lie...

lol!

I did post a link to NBC not ABC (do you have reading problems )

you have not shown that Texas has a higher percentage of power produced by wind than most other countries in the world and produces over a quarter of the total US production of wind power.and nothing like it

Quote your original point that started this

i t has been said on the news here that Texas relies heavily on wind turbines for their electricity power generation and the turbines don't work in low temperatures because the mechanism freezes up...

That is the part that has not been on Any news and you know that's exactly what i was referring to
i have never said they did not freeze in fact as i said pointed to a reason they might have ,i also pointed out that Fucking windturbines work fine in the arctic and a reason that might be the case

i am already sick of your contact bullshit lies and misrepresenting of what i have pointed out
Alll you do is look for a argument and cause conflict and chase people away from this forum

Thats all you are good for that's all you will ever be good at

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:07 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

The above is from the BBC article I posted earlier.

Therefore, a third of power generation lost because of the cold was from wind and renewables...

lol!

God you are a imbecile that's not how it works it says in that piece 7% to 20 % is provided by wind that's not a third

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:27 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

As of January 2020, the total installed wind power nameplate generating capacity in the United States was 105,583 megawatts (MW).

Texas, with 28,843 MW of capacity, about 16.8% of the state's electricity usage, had the most installed wind power capacity of any U.S. state at the end of 2019.[6] Texas also had more under construction than any other state currently has installed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_the_United_States

"...The state of Texas alone produces a quarter of the US’s wind power with 24.9GW, providing more wind power than 25 other US states combined..."

https://www.power-technology.com/features/wind-energy-by-country/

lol!

Try reading the above... And on the second link it explains the production of some of the other biggest producers of wind power.

And so it was nbc not abc news... I don't have my glasses on so easy to misread the two... But both are American news channels, neither is a fact checking site that proves me wrong on anything, as you claimed you posted a link to...

And your maths is very poor... I'll explain in simpleton terms for you... If the total power generation lost was 46GW, and 30 of that was fossil fuel and nuclear source, and 16 was from wind and renewals, then that is a third of the power generating capacity lost was from wind and renewals...

And I'm only responding to your posts to me... I'm not chasing anyone anywhere... And I'm sure I've told you before, if you want to try to get clever with me, you have to back it up with intelligence...!

You're just making yourself look stupid!

lol!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:38 pm

TEXAS..an exercise in the failure of conservatism 242021023% 23% 23% is NOT a third

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:45 pm

Not talking about overall production you idiot... I was talking about the power generation that was lost due to the cold...

30GW was taken offline from gas, coal and nuclear sources

So... A third of the power lost was from wind and renewables!!!

lol!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:58 pm

Basically every form of energy failed to some degree. We have fairly significant wind power production. Most numbers I see are around 20%.

There is a problem with the subsidies given to energy companies that build more turbines. It motivates them to build more of them than to spend money on existing plants.

We could build turbines like they do in Sweden, but that's never really been necessary before.

It is a bit crazy that we set on thousands of capped gas wells and we literally ran out of gas to make energy.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:20 pm

Maddog wrote:Basically every form of energy failed to some degree. We have fairly significant wind power production.  Most  numbers I see are around 20%.  

There is a problem with the subsidies given to energy companies that build more turbines.  It motivates them to build more of them than to spend money on existing plants.

We could build turbines like they do in Sweden, but that's never really been necessary before.  

It is a bit crazy that we set on thousands of capped gas wells and we literally ran out of gas to make energy.  
Wind generated two thirds of all renewable electricity output in Scotland that is what i would consider significant 20% not so much

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:23 pm

And I bet half of that was powered by hot air from you korben...!

lol!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:37 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

Not talking about overall production you idiot... I was talking about the power generation that was lost due to the cold...

30GW was taken offline from gas, coal and nuclear sources

So... A third of the power lost was from wind and renewables!!!

lol!

Agrue with the graphic you idiot wind provides 23% of power in texas that's the fact no matter how much you want to dispute it ,you first comment was ...and i quote "Texas relies heavily on wind turbines for their electricity power generation" It simple doesn't 23% is not relying heavily No matter how much you want to dress it up and twist

i think it would be best if you just Accept your original premise was wrong and move on because you are boring me to tears with this constant attempt to provoke me in to a full blow fight over facts (even in your own link you have misunderstood)
23% of supply is not a 3rd of total available supply that would be 33.33333333333333 recurring

Now i know you will be biting at the bit to reply please do so but as far as i am concerned it ends here and you will be ignored from now on because as the old adage says “Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:40 pm

finally found the ignore option ....my is that handy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:49 pm

Korben wrote:
Maddog wrote:Basically every form of energy failed to some degree. We have fairly significant wind power production.  Most  numbers I see are around 20%.  

There is a problem with the subsidies given to energy companies that build more turbines.  It motivates them to build more of them than to spend money on existing plants.

Wind generated two thirds of all renewable electricity output in Scotland that is what i would consider significant 20% not so much
i would suspect the lubricant was a major factor in them freezing and while that is easily rectified by replacing it with a lubricant better formulated to operate in low temperatures. in Texas i am not sure if that is an option as these ultra low temps are uncommon in Texas (at the moment) and doing so would mean you would have the opposite effect causing over heating

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:52 pm

Oh dear... You idiot!!!

I said a third of lost supply was wind and renewables!!!

Not a third of total full working supply was wind and renewables, you complete mug!!!

How many times do I have to say this before you understand the difference!!!???

lol!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:04 pm

Well this makes a pleasant change from Maddog and Quill fighting like cat and dog. lol!
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Tommy Monk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:33 pm

Syl wrote:Well this makes a pleasant change from Maddog and Quill fighting like cat and dog. lol!

Obviously Quill is the cat.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:53 pm

Syl wrote:Well this makes a pleasant change from Maddog and Quill fighting like cat and dog. lol!
Yea i cant be doing with it Syl. even the link he supplied disputes his own premise 23% of all energy in MWH comes from wind in Texas even if you add in the 2% solar that's still not a 3rd that's a quarter.when i went to school a quarter is smaller than a third  
his link from the "BBC" a sight he claims to hate points out "on average, renewable energy sources - mostly wind - account for about 20% of its electricity supply." in fact the very company Ercot  says  it expects only 7% to be provided by wind energy in a extreme winter weather event.

his opening point was "Texas relies heavily on wind turbines for their electricity power generation and the turbines" And that is simply not true His own link makes that point the second graphic i posted confirms and illustrates that  Although renewable energy sources did partially fail, they only contributed to 13 percent of the power outages,One of the major causes for the energy shortage has been the impact on natural gas, coal, and nuclear facilities.extreme cold is and increasing energy demand at the same time the energy generation.
Maddog was absolutely correct every form of energy failed to some degree, although i disagree with him on 20% being significant

significant means to me at least, sufficiently great or important to be worthy of attention; noteworthy. noticeably or measurably large amount

obviously his only motive on this forum is to berate and abuse people especially the LW he disagrees with ,him and other like him are the reason people left this forum in the first place.
His very first post to me was an attack on my intelligence when i dared to point out an inaccurate statement and that has continued

Texas current emergency is a result of bad management by the republican government and as MD says under investment  coupled with the fact they decided to have  a stand-alone power grid that's deregulated this is why Texas is suffering Nothing to do with wind power Nothing at all

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:01 pm

Korben wrote:
Yea i cant be doing with it Syl. even the link he supplied disputes his own premise 23% that of all energy in MWH comes from wind in Texas even if you add in the 2% solar that's still not a 3rd that's a quarter.when i went to school a quarter is smaller than a third  
his link from the "BBC" a sight he claims to hate points out "on average, renewable energy sources - mostly wind - account for about 20% of its electricity supply." in fact the very company Ercot  says  it expects only 7% to be provided by wind energy in a extreme winter weather event.

his opening point was "Texas relies heavily on wind turbines for their electricity power generation and the turbines" And that is simply not true His own link makes that point the second graphic i posted confirms and illustrates that  Although renewable energy sources did partially fail, they only contributed to 13 percent of the power outages,One of the major causes for the energy shortage has been the impact on natural gas, coal, and nuclear facilities.extreme cold is and increasing energy demand at the same time the energy generation.
Maddog was absolutely correct every form of energy failed to some degree, although i disagree with him on 20% being significant

significant means to me at least, sufficiently great or important to be worthy of attention; noteworthy. noticeably or measurably large amount

obviously his only motive on this forum is to berate and abuse people especially the LW he disagrees with ,him and other like him are the reason people left this forum in the first place.
His very first post to me was an attack on my intelligence when i dared to point out an inaccurate statement and that has continued

Texas current emergency is a result of bad management by the republican government and as MD says under investment  coupled with the fact they decided to have  a stand-alone power grid that's deregulated  is why Texas is suffering Nothing to do with wind power Nothing at all

We've been stand alone almost 100 years. Until this week, it performed at least as good as other regions and better than many that have far less erratic weather.

We need to lower the threshold for temps about 10 degrees and make sure we have the ability to keep up with massive influxes of new residents. All of our infrastructure is being tested when utilities have to be provided to thousands of new residents daily.

Maybe we should ban folks from California for awhile. Cool
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next