NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Intelligence Study Links Low I.Q. To Prejudice, Racism, Conservatism...

2 posters

Go down

Intelligence Study Links Low I.Q. To Prejudice, Racism, Conservatism... Empty Intelligence Study Links Low I.Q. To Prejudice, Racism, Conservatism...

Post by Eilzel Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:43 pm

(sorry Ben I had to post it Smile)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/27/intelligence-study-links-prejudice_n_1237796.html

Are racists dumb? Do conservatives tend to be less intelligent than liberals? A provocative new study from Brock University in Ontario suggests the answer to both questions may be a qualified yes.

The study, published in Psychological Science, showed that people who score low on I.Q. tests in childhood are more likely to develop prejudiced beliefs and socially conservative politics in adulthood.

Dr. Gordon Hodson, a professor of psychology at the university and the study's lead author, said the finding represented evidence of a vicious cycle: People of low intelligence gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies, which stress resistance to change and, in turn, prejudice, he told LiveScience.

Dr. Brian Nosek, a University of Virginia psychologist, echoed those sentiments.

"Reality is complicated and messy," he told The Huffington Post in an email. "Ideologies get rid of the messiness and impose a simpler solution. So, it may not be surprising that people with less cognitive capacity will be attracted to simplifying ideologies."

Well there it is right? Haha, I know it is to over simplify things- but hey I didn't conduct the research! It does make sense though- simple minds reaching for simple conclusion- see here for instance: https://newsfix.niceboard.com/t2587-united-nations-documents-torture-prison-camps-of-north-korea#41669

Simple conclusions for simple minds- the way of the Right  lol!
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Intelligence Study Links Low I.Q. To Prejudice, Racism, Conservatism... Empty Re: Intelligence Study Links Low I.Q. To Prejudice, Racism, Conservatism...

Post by Guest Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:46 pm

Wasn't there another study done that showed exactly the same thing? Basically RWingers tend to like to be led by the nose, cap doffing all the way, whereas LWingers like to think for themselves.

Back to top Go down

Intelligence Study Links Low I.Q. To Prejudice, Racism, Conservatism... Empty Re: Intelligence Study Links Low I.Q. To Prejudice, Racism, Conservatism...

Post by Guest Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:46 pm

Eilzel wrote:(sorry Ben I had to post it Smile)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/27/intelligence-study-links-prejudice_n_1237796.html

Are racists dumb? Do conservatives tend to be less intelligent than liberals? A provocative new study from Brock University in Ontario suggests the answer to both questions may be a qualified yes.

The study, published in Psychological Science, showed that people who score low on I.Q. tests in childhood are more likely to develop prejudiced beliefs and socially conservative politics in adulthood.

Dr. Gordon Hodson, a professor of psychology at the university and the study's lead author, said the finding represented evidence of a vicious cycle: People of low intelligence gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies, which stress resistance to change and, in turn, prejudice, he told LiveScience.

Dr. Brian Nosek, a University of Virginia psychologist, echoed those sentiments.

"Reality is complicated and messy," he told The Huffington Post in an email. "Ideologies get rid of the messiness and impose a simpler solution. So, it may not be surprising that people with less cognitive capacity will be attracted to simplifying ideologies."

Well there it is right? Haha, I know it is to over simplify things- but hey I didn't conduct the research! It does make sense though- simple minds reaching for simple conclusion- see here for instance: https://newsfix.niceboard.com/t2587-united-nations-documents-torture-prison-camps-of-north-korea#41669

Simple conclusions for simple minds- the way of the Right  lol!

lol it is as bad as claiming blacks are criminally minded Eilzel, based upon poor manipulated methods.

I have used this myself to do as Ben has done though, but more on to racists to show the absurdity of when people use such claims on ethnic groups

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:53 pm

It also helps if you have read the study as its claims are based around education:

Earlier studies have found links between low levels of education and higher levels of prejudice, Hodson said, so studying intelligence seemed a logical next step. 

Also the questions are loaded:

Social conservatives were defined as people who agreed with a laundry list of statements such as "Family life suffers if mum is working full-time," and "Schools should teach children to obey authority." Attitudes toward other races were captured by measuring agreement with statements such as "I wouldn't mind working with people from other races." (These questions measured overt prejudiced attitudes, but most people, no matter how egalitarian, do hold unconscious racial biases; Hodson's work can't speak to this "underground" racism.)

As suspected, low intelligence in childhood corresponded with racism in adulthood.

Hodson was quick to note that the despite the link found between low intelligence and social conservatism, the researchers aren't implying that all liberals are brilliant and all conservatives stupid. The research is a study of averages over large groups, he said.

"There are multiple examples of very bright conservatives and not-so-bright liberals, and many examples of very principled conservatives and very intolerant liberals," Hodson said.

Nosek gave another example to illustrate the dangers of taking the findings too literally.

"We can say definitively men are taller than women on average," he said. "But you can't say if you take a random man and you take a random woman that the man is going to be taller. There's plenty of overlap."

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:59 pm

PhilDidge wrote:It also helps if you have read the study as its claims are based around education:

Earlier studies have found links between low levels of education and higher levels of prejudice, Hodson said, so studying intelligence seemed a logical next step. 

Social conservatives were defined as people who agreed with a laundry list of statements such as "Family life suffers if mum is working full-time," and "Schools should teach children to obey authority." Attitudes toward other races were captured by measuring agreement with statements such as "I wouldn't mind working with people from other races." (These questions measured overt prejudiced attitudes, but most people, no matter how egalitarian, do hold unconscious racial biases; Hodson's work can't speak to this "underground" racism.)

As suspected, low intelligence in childhood corresponded with racism in adulthood.

Hodson was quick to note that the despite the link found between low intelligence and social conservatism, the researchers aren't implying that all liberals are brilliant and all conservatives stupid. The research is a study of averages over large groups, he said.

"There are multiple examples of very bright conservatives and not-so-bright liberals, and many examples of very principled conservatives and very intolerant liberals," Hodson said.

Nosek gave another example to illustrate the dangers of taking the findings too literally.

"We can say definitively men are taller than women on average," he said. "But you can't say if you take a random man and you take a random woman that the man is going to be taller. There's plenty of overlap."

Of course it shouldn't equate to a generalization phil- I was being slightly funny in posting this- though many on the Right here would take such findings as you say to scream their views from the rooftops. In your defense you are hardly 'socially conservative' more economic  Smile 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:09 pm

Eilzel wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:It also helps if you have read the study as its claims are based around education:

Of course it shouldn't equate to  a generalization phil- I was being slightly funny in posting this- though many on the Right here would take such findings as you say to scream their views from the rooftops. In your defense you are hardly 'socially conservative' more economic  Smile 

I know buddy and do not blame you for posting this as I say I have used it also before to show when those of the far right used flawed logic in their claims..

:D 

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down