NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself

+7
nicko
Irn Bru
gerber
Ben Reilly
eddie
Raggamuffin
Eilzel
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself Empty I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:06 pm

3rd March 2014

It's true - when I was around 15 I began speaking differently - I was terrible - "I fink" "I aven't got anythin" etc etc

I just heard a conversation on Radio 2 about it.

Is there anything wrong with wanting to improve yourself to get somewhere or something in life?

Please discuss.

Back to top Go down

I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself Empty Re: I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:09 pm

That should probably be speak, not spoke.  ::D:: 

Nothing wrong with putting a little effort in to things is there now?

Back to top Go down

I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself Empty Re: I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself

Post by Eilzel Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:13 pm

I agree Andy. People speaking clearly is better all round; even if one has to make a concious effort to do so, with time ot would get easier.

It is particularly annoying when someone talks to a foreigner who has learned English well but then makes no effort to speak clearly- as if a foreigner is going to understand a broad northern accent...
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:17 pm

Eilzel wrote:I agree Andy. People speaking clearly is better all round; even if one has to make a concious effort to do so, with time ot would get easier.

It is particularly annoying when someone talks to a foreigner who has learned English well but then makes no effort to speak clearly- as if a foreigner is going to understand a broad northern accent...

I don't think people should go changing their accents Eli.

If you live in the North of England you'll have a Northern accent.

Move down South and your accent may change.

If a foreigner moves to Newcastle tough titties, he'll struggle for a while but in time he will understand people better .

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:29 pm

I think that strong accents can be offputting actually, and a clear voice gives a better impression all round.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:33 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I think that strong accents can be offputting actually, and a clear voice gives a better impression all round.

Offputting?

Really?

I only think that is the case when you hear one where you shouldn't - if I go to Newcastle I expect to hear North-East accents.

When I ring BT I expect to hear an Indian accent - I'd be mightily p1ssed off if I got a Brummie.

Laughing

Last edited by BigAndy9 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:39 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I think that strong accents can be offputting actually, and a clear voice gives a better impression all round.

Offputting?

Really?

I only think that is the case when you hear one where you shouldn't - if I go to Newcastle I expect to hear North-East accents.

When I ring BT I expect to hear an Indian accent - I'd be might p1ssed off if I got a Brummie.

Laughing 

Laughing 

I just mean very strong accents really where you can't understand what someone's going on about. I like a hint of an accent.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:52 pm

some accents are lovely to hear like geordies and welsh, the worst of all to me are the brummies...its painful to listen too..

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:16 pm

Well I have a London accent.
I used to speak nicely, turned 15, and went all 'ard and cockney, now I speak better.

I always pronounce my 'T's and never drop my 'H's - that's unforgivable!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:22 pm

once i stopped saying " yaar mannn" i must admit i got much better job offers.. Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:39 pm

Andy, I think it is a matter of where you are. If you are going for a job interview, making a public announcement, meeting someone for the first time- a strong accent or not speaking clear wont go down well. I'm not saying people should lose their accent completely; just tone it down when appropriate.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:41 pm

Eilzel wrote:Andy, I think it is a matter of where you are. If you are going for a job interview, making a public announcement, meeting someone for the first time- a strong accent or not speaking clear wont go down well. I'm not saying people should lose their accent completely; just tone it down when appropriate.

or a slightly high pitched voice with a slight lisp... Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:48 pm

heavenly father wrote:some accents are lovely to hear like geordies and welsh, the worst of all to me are the brummies...its painful to listen too..

Yes, but look what happened to Cheryl Cole. She was kicked out of the American X Factor because nobody could understand her accent.  Laughing

Last edited by Raggamuffin on Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:54 pm

eddie wrote:Well I have a London accent.
I used to speak nicely, turned 15, and went all 'ard and cockney, now I speak better.

I always pronounce my 'T's and never drop my 'H's - that's unforgivable!

Those are the things I did - my dad used to pick me up all the time.

It wasn't until I started working in the city that I realised how I needed to improve.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:12 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
heavenly father wrote:some accents are lovely to hear like geordies and welsh, the worst of all to me are the brummies...its painful to listen too..

Yes, but look what happened to Cheryl Cole. She was kicked out of the American X Factor because nobody understand her accent.  Laughing 

well thats true but shes worth it..lol Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:21 pm

It's true - when I was around 15 I began speaking differently - I was terrible - "I fink" "I aven't got anythin" etc etc. Is there anything wrong with wanting to improve yourself to get somewhere or something in life?

No, nothing wrong at all apparently, unless you're doing it so that a "foreigner" will be able to converse more easily with you? Then it's:

If a foreigner moves to Newcastle tough titties, he'll struggle for a while but in time he will understand people better.

Better yet, why not stomp hard on the foreigner's exoskeleton until its guts squish out like the cockroach it is?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:32 pm

Manners are also of paramount importance.  Just speaking correctly it not enough.

But I do have a problem in Scotland even though those I have met have all been darlings................  I get fed up with saying " Pardon "  Love 'em to bits just ca't understand a word they say especially when they have been partaking of the Scottish water.......

::dedhrs::
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:17 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Eilzel wrote:Andy, I think it is a matter of where you are. If you are going for a job interview, making a public announcement, meeting someone for the first time- a strong accent or not speaking clear wont go down well. I'm not saying people should lose their accent completely; just tone it down when appropriate.

Is that how you imagine I talk?
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:19 pm

Eilzel wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

not at all... Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:24 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

not at all... Smile 

Good, because it isn't. And to think all gay people speak a certain way would be a pretty dumb assumption to make.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:23 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

not at all... Smile 

You're way off HF. And also being rude for no reason, a smiley smilie doesn't make it less so.  ::D:: 
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:44 pm

I  I love you accents, especially Northern and the Irish (oh, especially the Irish I Changed The Way I Spoke To Improve Myself Smile169)

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:31 pm

According to this Scots have the best accent around...

If you're a British financial-services customer contacting a call center, you're likely to be happier if the person answering the phone has a Scottish accent, rather than any other accent, according to Khalid Aziz, chairman of Hampshire, U.K.-based executive communications consultancy The Aziz Corporation. "Within Anglo-Saxon culture, Scottish accents are imbued with a certain brand value for things like probity and financial caution," says Aziz. "People are more inclined to feel their inquiry is being dealt with sensibly and responsibly - people trust that sort of accent."

That bias was demonstrated in a survey last fall sponsored by The Aziz Corporation that rated U.K. accents for their business appeal. Scottish accents scored highly across the board: 43 percent of respondents judged speakers of such accents as likely to be successful; 40 percent found them hardworking and reliable; and 31 percent found them the most trustworthy. By contrast, the Liverpool "scouse" accent scored worst: only 15 percent of the survey's participants believed scouse speakers were successful; just 9 percent said they were hardworking and reliable; and only 8 percent regarded them as honest and trustworthy. The London "cockney" accent showed mixed results: respondents associated it with both a degree of success and a tendency toward unscrupulous dealings. When it comes to call centers, the Scots have a rival in the extreme Northeast of England; the "geordie" accent, which is characteristic of Newcastle natives, is a "warmer, caring, wrap-your-arms-around-you sort of accent," Aziz asserts. For global financial-services firms considering setting up call centers outside the primary area of business, these perceptions are important to take into consideration.

http://www.wallstreetandtech.com/scots-accent-favored-for-call-centers/18402776
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:35 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

Yes, but look what happened to Cheryl Cole. She was kicked out of the American X Factor because nobody could understand her accent.  Laughing
To be fair, most of Tyneside havent got a clue what she is on about!

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:22 pm

nothing wrong with the brummie accent,how about the scouse one, worst of the lot.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:27 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
It's true - when I was around 15 I began speaking differently - I was terrible - "I fink" "I aven't got anythin" etc etc. Is there anything wrong with wanting to improve yourself to get somewhere or something in life?

No, nothing wrong at all apparently, unless you're doing it so that a "foreigner" will be able to converse more easily with you? Then it's:

If a foreigner moves to Newcastle tough titties, he'll struggle for a while but in time he will understand people better.

Better yet, why not stomp hard on the foreigner's exoskeleton until its guts squish out like the cockroach it is?

@ben
Have you heard a Newcastle accent? We had 2 backpackers from England and No one could understand the guy from Newcastle (the other was from London so easy enough) any way the guy from Newcastle was on the phone I forget exactly what it was about but My brother gave up and told the guys from London to talk to him.... The guy from London said why you giving me the phone I can’t understand a word he says either?

On the first point, I also disagree it does make it easier for foreigners to understand if you speak with a consistent accent. I know Foreigners comment that they can understand people from Sydney or Melbourne (the most multicultural cities) but you can see the blank look on their face when they speak to someone from Adelaide or Hobart (least multicultural) and that goes for the locals understanding too. It wasn't till a Korean girl I was seeing pointed it out that I noticed (I meet her in Adelaide, it was easy because apparently I was one of the few people she could understand geek )

the Sydney/Melbourne accent is apprently most like the "non-discript" accent in American TV/film the one they use when your not mean to guess what state they are from.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:31 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:3rd March 2014

It's true - when I was around 15 I began speaking differently - I was terrible - "I fink" "I aven't got anythin" etc etc

Is there anything wrong with wanting to improve yourself to get somewhere or something in life?

Please discuss.

As long as you don't start speaking like David Cameron or George Osborne Andy...that's just a little too nice  Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:40 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:3rd March 2014

Please discuss.

As long as you don't start speaking like David Cameron or George Osborne Andy...that's just a little too nice  Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:44 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:

?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:17 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

?

Just pointing out how your hatred of "foreigners" makes you contradict your own positions, BA.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:43 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

?

Just pointing out how your hatred of "foreigners" makes you contradict your own positions, BA.

That's true, when I made my first reply I was actually agreeing with Andy as you say; amazingly how quickly he flipped his position when I referred to the problem people not speaking properly was for foreigners  Rolling Eyes 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:37 pm

changing the way you speak doesnt "improve you" at all, it merely changes perceptions of you, you become seen as something you are not, kinda false advertising. No matter how "posh" you may speak, it is a trueism that "you can take the scroat out of the slum, but you can NEVER take the slum out of the scroat.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:38 pm

I understand making effort to talk better, but it's not the end of the world and those who can't accept you and all that can just do one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:20 pm

As I lived in loads of places, by the time I went to boarding school at 11, everyone thought I was American, I had such a mixture of accents. My Dad was not amused and gradually the accents dropped while I stayed in one place. Then I did some acting and learnt voice projection etc. I think Les thought I was 'posh' when we met! I tend to relapse into accents if I know them, for example, going back to Norfolk and talking to people who have always lived there, out comes my Norfolk accent.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:26 pm

Sassy wrote:As I lived in loads of places, by the time I went to boarding school at 11, everyone thought I was American, I had such a mixture of accents.   My Dad was not amused and gradually the accents dropped while I stayed in one place.   Then I did some acting and learnt voice projection etc.   I think Les thought I was 'posh' when we met!   I tend to relapse into accents if I know them, for example, going back to Norfolk and talking to people who have always lived there, out comes my Norfolk accent.  

So you talk a bit of Bernard Matthews as a well then? 

As well as posh?..posh bird then eh? Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:31 pm

Joy Division wrote:
Sassy wrote:As I lived in loads of places, by the time I went to boarding school at 11, everyone thought I was American, I had such a mixture of accents.   My Dad was not amused and gradually the accents dropped while I stayed in one place.   Then I did some acting and learnt voice projection etc.   I think Les thought I was 'posh' when we met!   I tend to relapse into accents if I know them, for example, going back to Norfolk and talking to people who have always lived there, out comes my Norfolk accent.  

Not as Naaarfok as Bernard, I don't think Bernard was as Naaarfok as Bernard LOL, but heading there.   I have a Zummerzet accent as well when I'm down south, as I lived there for 16 years.   Most of the time though I'm what you would call 'well spoken', which is quite funny as my Nan was a char lady and my Grandad was a builder.   My Dad is a bit posher, though my Mum never forgot her roots and neither do I.   Most of my Mum's family come from round the Millwall football ground area!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:41 pm

Sassy wrote:
Joy Division wrote:

Not as Naaarfok as Bernard, I don't think Bernard was as Naaarfok as Bernard LOL, but heading there.   I have a Zummerzet accent as well when I'm down south, as I lived there for 16 years.   Most of the time though I'm what you would call 'well spoken', which is quite funny as my Nan was a char lady and my Grandad was a builder.   My Dad is a bit posher, though my Mum never forgot her roots and neither do I.   Most of my Mum's family come from round the Millwall football ground area!!!!

...love to near that Sassy, fewer people are like that now...not forgetting their roots, good for you.

Last edited by Joy Division on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:26 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

?

But I don't have a hatred of foreigners Ben.

I think you will find I love going to foreign lands and mixing with the locals.

Where have I said I hate foreigners?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:28 am

My eldest moved around a bit when he was young - he had such a nice accent - spoke very well - maybe moving does that to you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:46 am

The tone of voice is also important. I can't be doing with people who speak very loudly, even to someone about two feet away from them.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:46 am

BigAndy9 wrote:

Offputting?

Really?

When I ring BT I expect to hear an Indian accent - I'd be mightily p1ssed off if I got a Brummie.

Laughing

And when you take the underground, you're bound to hear a Pakistani accent over the PA. Sounds like, minnie, minnie, minnie... Go figure.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:26 am

Original Quill wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

Offputting?

Really?

Laughing

And when you take the underground, you're bound to hear a Pakistani accent over the PA.  Sounds like, minnie, minnie, minnie...  Go figure.

Perhaps you like to explain that, before people think you are a total hypocrite about racial prejudice. We wouldn't want them thinking that now, would we?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:08 am

Thing about Sassy is that while she may have a posh accent, she thinks like an ordinary "one of the boys" and does not look down at folk.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:41 am

Original Quill wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

Offputting?

Really?

Laughing

And when you take the underground, you're bound to hear a Pakistani accent over the PA.  Sounds like, minnie, minnie, minnie...  Go figure.

I can't hear anything they say in the Underground, but that's because of the sound system, not the accents.  Laughing 
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:34 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I can't hear anything they say in the Underground, but that's because of the sound system, not the accents.  Laughing 

Might be part of it, but It was a total shock...and I still have no idea what he was saying. I mean, I understand political correctness and affirmative action, but why put him on the sound system at all until his voice can be understood. Sort of self defeating, innit? I mean...what if he had to give safety instructions or something.

Andy wrote:

As far as I can see, that is a perfectly laudable goal. I mean, we are constantly building vocabularies and getting it right. What's wrong with that?

But I do think it is regrettable to lose sight of the regional accents. The aspirated consonant you hear from a London cockney is choice. And there's a bit of it in all Brit English. I studied a little bit of p-Celtic and q-Celtic and when I was interpreting some 15th and 16th-century manuscripts. It helped immensely in following old Scot and Welsh dialects. Read MQS' orginal script of the Casket letters, and you will see they even wrote in an accent: Quare are you goen' and queen ere ya goona be back?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:48 am

Sassy wrote:As I lived in loads of places, by the time I went to boarding school at 11, everyone thought I was American,

Must have been embarrassing for you, given how much you hate America.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:47 pm

So Quill, backtracked quick when you realised it made you look racist and thought of an excuse. What health and safety do announcers have anything to do with?

Hate America, nope, hate American policies that means America thinks it has the right to use the CIA to disrupt other governments because they don't like their policies, hate the fact they think they have the right to take over other countries and make life a misery for the inhabitants, can't stand the hypocrites who think they are non-racist by standing up for negroes but say foul things against Palestinians and Pakistanis. Hate the fact that America thinks it's ok to take people without trial, hold them for years and torture them, and then has the gall to complain about what other countries do.

Like most countries, a lot of it's citizens are lovely, a lot of the government stinks. Only when the American government stinks, it tends to do it all over the world.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dagenham Monologues Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:49 pm

Eilzel wrote:I agree Andy. People speaking clearly is better all round; even if one has to make a concious effort to do so, with time ot would get easier.

I see a northern accent should be eliminated to make it easier for new arrivals to understand us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dagenham Monologues
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:27 pm

kevins58 wrote:

I see a northern accent should be eliminated to make it easier for new arrivals to understand us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Northern accent shouldn't be eliminated, but you should be!  Razz 

Back to top Go down

Post by Dagenham Monologues Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:51 pm

Joy Division wrote:Thing about Sassy is that while she may have a posh accent, she thinks like an ordinary "one of the boys" and does not look down at folk.

And how do you know she has a posh accent?

Dagenham Monologues
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next