NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is there life floating in the clouds of Venus?

+3
Victorismyhero
Ben Reilly
eddie
7 posters

Go down

Is there life floating in the clouds of Venus? Empty Is there life floating in the clouds of Venus?

Post by eddie Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:25 pm

Is there life floating in the clouds of Venus? 2309ee10

It's an extraordinary possibility - the idea that living organisms are floating in the clouds of Planet Venus.

But this is what astronomers are now considering after detecting a gas in the atmosphere they can't explain.

That gas is phosphine - a molecule made up of one phosphorus atom and three hydrogen atoms.

On Earth, phosphine is associated with life, with microbes living in the guts of animals like penguins, or in oxygen-poor environments such as swamps.

For sure, you can make it industrially, but there are no factories on Venus; and there are certainly no penguins.

So why is this gas there, 50km up from the planet's surface? Prof Jane Greaves, from Cardiff University, UK and colleagues are asking just this question.

They've published a paper in the journal Nature Astronomy detailing their observations of phosphine at Venus, as well as the investigations they've made to try to show this molecule could have a natural, non-biological origin.

Given everything we know about Venus and the conditions that exist there, no-one has yet been able to describe an abiotic pathway to phosphine, not in the quantities that have been detected. This means a life source deserves consideration.

"Through my whole career I have been interested in the search for life elsewhere in the Universe, so I'm just blown away that this is even possible," Prof Greaves said. "But, yes, we are genuinely encouraging other people to tell us what we might have missed. Our paper and data are open access; this is how science works."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-54133538

I say....of course! cheers
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Is there life floating in the clouds of Venus? Empty Re: Is there life floating in the clouds of Venus?

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:34 pm

The one thing I can't get my head around is the theory that it's clouds of microbes floating in the atmosphere. On Earth, this gas is generated by microbes in swamps, so why do they have to float in the clouds on Venus?

Other than that, it's an intriguing idea and a possible explanation for how life got to Earth to evolve. Microbes can survive outer space, so anything that hit Venus hard enough to send chunks of her into the Earth could have done it.

Of course, it still doesn't explain how life originated in the first place ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Is there life floating in the clouds of Venus? Empty Re: Is there life floating in the clouds of Venus?

Post by eddie Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:36 pm

There’s other life out there. It’s just common sense.

Why would we be the only rock that hosts life?
It’s just common sense. Cool
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:43 pm

Of course -- the universe is infinite in size, and must have an infinite number of planets with life. It's just logic.

On top of that, it's logically full of planets that once supported life but don't any more, and it will give birth to more planets that will give rise to life in the future.

I just wish we could find and contact one that has intelligent life. Preferably in my lifetime Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:48 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Of course -- the universe is infinite in size, and must have an infinite number of planets with life. It's just logic.

On top of that, it's logically full of planets that once supported life but don't any more, and it will give birth to more planets that will give rise to life in the future.

I just wish we could find and contact one that has intelligent life. Preferably in my lifetime Smile

You must be joking....theres no proof of one yet (and i include ours in that)
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Ben Reilly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:30 pm

eddie wrote:There’s other life out there. It’s just common sense.

Why would we be the only rock that hosts life?  
It’s just common sense. Cool
Exactly that, and i wouldn't mind betting that plenty have intelligence we could only dream of.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:08 pm

It sounds to me like this gas shows that there WAS some kind of life on Venus. Might still be, but there doesn't seem to be any proof of that.

Maybe in a 100,000 years aliens will find out planet looking much like Venus today.

I need to watch my cholesterol so I live long enough to greet them.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:01 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:The one thing I can't get my head around is the theory that it's clouds of microbes floating in the atmosphere. On Earth, this gas is generated by microbes in swamps, so why do they have to float in the clouds on Venus?

Other than that, it's an intriguing idea and a possible explanation for how life got to Earth to evolve. Microbes can survive outer space, so anything that hit Venus hard enough to send chunks of her into the Earth could have done it.

Of course, it still doesn't explain how life originated in the first place ...

Because it is far, far too hot on the surface now for any sort of liquid water, including swamps, to exist.
In the upper atmosphere the temperature is a nice, friendly 68 degrees F (20C)
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:48 pm

Ben wrote:The one thing I can't get my head around is the theory that it's clouds of microbes floating in the atmosphere. On Earth, this gas is generated by microbes in swamps, so why do they have to float in the clouds on Venus?

So far, we have discovered four states of matter observable everyday: solid, liquid, gas and plasma.  I imagine a microbe can evolve to exist on or within any of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_matter

It's possible the phosphine gas is altered when interacting with electronically conductive plasma.  I was never good at chemistry; maybe Victor knows.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down