NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Charlie Daniels Dies

5 posters

Go down

Charlie Daniels Dies Empty Charlie Daniels Dies

Post by Lurker Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:11 pm

Charlie Daniels Dies Charli10
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Charlie Daniels Dies Empty Re: Charlie Daniels Dies

Post by Syl Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:01 am

I have never heard of him.
RIP Charlie Daniels.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:48 am

He had the house band at Gilly's, a cowboy bar in Houston. He was featured in the film Urban Cowboy, with John Travolta and Debra Winger.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:56 am

Johnny.Lee had the house band.

Charlie Daniels no doubt played in Gilleys and had a song on the soundtrack.

Here is Charlie's most famous song. I would think even most Brits would have heard this one.

Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Syl likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:11 pm

Yep, I know that one, it's a good song.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:14 pm

Don't think I'd ever heard of him .
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:13 pm

nicko wrote: Don't think I'd ever heard of him .

It's really the Charlie Daniels Band, with him as lead, more that Charlie Daniels as an individual performer.  You would probably have to be into country & western music to have heard of him.

He's of the genre of "Texas Country" or "Texas two-step", as distinct from Ohio River Valley or Nashville music.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_country_music

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:39 pm

Charlie Daniels is not of the Texas country genre.

Quill go home. You don't know what you're talking about about once again.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:11 pm

Maddog wrote:Charlie Daniels is not of the Texas country genre.

Quill go home. You don't know what you're talking about about once again.

Settle down, Red.  You may know Texas, but you don't know country music.  You're obsessed with me, in a contrarian way: anything I say, you've got to disagree.  You are like Trump, ready to politicize anything, including facts.  But apart from your self-indulgence, here are the facts:

Charlie Daniels' music is bluegrass in instrumentation, as he was born and raised in North Carolina.  Typical bluegrass instruments include Guitar (including pedal-steel), bass, drums, 5-string banjo, fiddle or mandolin, and vocals.  Bluegrass is the root of 2/4 country dance (such as Devil), or Texas two-step beat.  Texas country (or outlaw country) is defined as:

Wiki wrote:Outlaw country is a subgenre of American country music, most popular during the 1970s and early 1980s, sometimes referred to as the outlaw movement or simply outlaw music. The music has its roots in earlier subgenres like honky tonk and rockabilly and is characterized by a blend of rock and folk rhythms, country instrumentation and introspective lyrics. The movement began as a reaction to the slick production and popular structures of the Nashville sound developed by record producers like Chet Atkins.

Feel free to toss in any facts you may have, Red.  Just try to speak to the message, and forget being obsessed with the messenger.

If you are really interested, start with the basics.  See, John and Alan Lomax, American Ballads and Folk Songs (1934).  This gives you a background on all ethnomusicology in North America, and it's European/African origins, including bluegrass and blues.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:29 am

I know people in the Texas/Red Dirt scene.

Even your Wiki link doesn't mention the CDB.

They are a Nashville band, and never were a house band at Gilleys either. Because they were based out of Nashville.

Charlie even recorded with Dylan when he was recording in Nashville.

I can assure you that I know more about country music than anyone on this forum, and have forgotten more than you will ever know.

I don't need Wiki either. I know the scene from first hand experience.

Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:30 am

This is why I have zero respect for Quill.

It's not his positions, but his need to make stuff up.

He's a fucking liar.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:30 am

Maddog wrote:I can assure you that I know more about country music than anyone on this forum, and have forgotten more than you will ever know.

I doubt that.  You spend most of your time praising yourself, or maligning others.  You talk about yourself, but you've never shown you know anything about a subject.

For example, you've just said "I know more about country music than anyone…", but you've shown nothing of what you know about country music.   Charlie Daniels Dies 2190311264   Oh, well, I guess we're supposed to take your word for it??

This is a thread In Memoriam, fgs, and you start trashing about.  How about a little less contempt, and a little more content?  You might even start discussing the topic and we might even be interested.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:40 am

How about you stop blabbering nonsense because you're bored and want to appear knowledgeable.

I have listened to almost nothing but country for 40 years and nothing but Texas or Red Dirt for the past 15.

I know my stuff Mr Wiki.

Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:43 am

Again. The CDB was never the house band at Gilleys and is not part of the Texas Country scene. Only a dumb fuck would make those claims. Charlie lived in Tennesee. Be long ass commute to Houston.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:51 am

Maddog wrote:How about you stop blabbering nonsense because you're bored and want to appear knowledgeable.

I have listened to almost nothing but country for 40 years and nothing but Texas or Red Dirt for the past 15.  

I know my stuff Mr Wiki.

Then show it. What is Texas Country, or Red Dirt, and how is it different than Ohio Valley or Nashville music? Argue your point. Say something interesting.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:42 am

Would Glen Campbell's "Rhinestone Cowboy" be classed as Country Music ? Or John Denver's "Country Roads" ?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:11 pm

nicko wrote: Would Glen Campbell's "Rhinestone Cowboy" be classed as Country Music ?  Or John Denver's "Country Roads" ?

Definitely, and both were great artists. Both had sad endings too.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:20 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:How about you stop blabbering nonsense because you're bored and want to appear knowledgeable.

I know my stuff Mr Wiki.

Then show it.  What is Texas Country, or Red Dirt, and how is it different than Ohio Valley or Nashville music?  Argue your point.  Say something interesting.

Your link, that excluded the CDB, from the list of people performing Texas or Red Dirt explained it.

In the parlance of folks around here, Nashville country is called Bro country or pop country.

Or crap country.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:25 pm

nicko wrote: Would Glen Campbell's "Rhinestone Cowboy" be classed as Country Music ?  Or John Denver's "Country Roads" ?

They both crossed over into pop music.

Glen never really considered himself a country singer. He was an outstanding instrumentalist that could play guitar and banjo very well.

He played on Beach Boy albums and even filled in for Brian Wilson on tour when he had a breakdown.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:30 pm

This is the "country" music coming out of Nashville now.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:47 pm

Maddog wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Then show it.  What is Texas Country, or Red Dirt, and how is it different than Ohio Valley or Nashville music?  Argue your point.  Say something interesting.

Your link, that excluded the CDB, from the list of people performing Texas or Red Dirt explained it.

In the parlance of folks around here, Nashville country is called Bro country or pop country.

Or crap country.

Well, then debate that point. Bring forward the points on Red Dirt, etc. Don't sit around pissing and moaning. If you know better than me, I'll give the microphone to you. Tell us about Texas Country...it would be interesting to all of us.

Insulting me earns you no points, and is uninteresting to others.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:04 pm

Glen Campbell was an outstanding studio guitarist, well known and highly respected around Los Angeles and Musician's Local No. 7.  He was Roy Orbison's guitarist on many recordings.

After turning solo, he collaborated with songwriter Jimmy Webb and hit it big with By the Time I Get to Phoenix (1967), following up with other Jim Webb songs like Wichita Lineman (1968) and Galveston (1969).  It was Webb who gave Campbell the country flavor.

John Denver was also not country, but a folk singer.  He started with the Chad Mitchell Trio, but soon returned to solo work.  He, too, was defined by songwriters.  He wrote Leaving on a Jet Plane (1969), but only the version by Peter, Paul and Mary became famous.  He made it with a hit song titled, Take Me Home, Country Roads (1971), written by Bill Danoff and Taffy Nivert, who also sing it with Denver.

Taffy Nivert's 5th-under harmony part, and her solid alto voice, is what makes the Country Roads recording.  Listen to it...she comes in on the second verse.

At the end of the cut--listen carefully--Taffy has taken over the lead voice and Denver only provides the accent.  The recording is really a duet, Nivert and Denver, and Denver should have given her the credit she deserves.  She gives the song it's haunting depth and fullness.

This may be harsh, but Denver's solo songs sound like a constipated owl.  Rocky mountain hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-eeee...

affraid

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down