NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American English - it's really a thing

+2
eddie
Ben Reilly
6 posters

Go down

American English - it's really a thing Empty American English - it's really a thing

Post by Ben Reilly Wed May 20, 2020 11:45 pm

... just like Mexican Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese and Canadian French.

Yet I find a lot of English people seem to bristle at the idea that there is an American English. (There's more to it than that, actually -- there's also Texan English, for one of many examples of subsets of American English.)

And I have to wonder, why do some English people get so bothered at the idea of American English? I mean, I don't see them get equally riled up by the fact that there's also Irish English, Australian English, Canadian English, New Zealand English, etc.

I don't buy one of the arguments I've heard -- that their smartphones and computers try to correct them when they spell, for example, favor with an extraneous U. Because my laptop is set to British English and it just tried to correct my spelling of "favor." Just did it again. There are settings on these gadgets, and when you first set them up, you do tell them what language you speak.

So why is it?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

American English - it's really a thing Empty Re: American English - it's really a thing

Post by eddie Thu May 21, 2020 12:04 am

Dude.
Let
It
Go

Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

American English - it's really a thing Empty Re: American English - it's really a thing

Post by Ben Reilly Thu May 21, 2020 12:05 am

eddie wrote:Dude.
Let
It
Go

Rolling Eyes

That's a very American way of expressing yourself Razz
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu May 21, 2020 12:13 am

It's just American. No need to even add English. American English - it's really a thing 1366281442

Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu May 21, 2020 12:15 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:Dude.
Let
It
Go

Rolling Eyes

That's a very American way of expressing yourself Razz

Fuck all y’all. Cool
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu May 21, 2020 12:16 am

Maddog wrote:It's just American. No need to even add English.  American English - it's really a thing 1366281442

Fuck all y’all American English - it's really a thing 1942856362
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu May 21, 2020 12:32 am

Come to think of it, it's not just the language. Brits get touchy over the type of football we play in America and hate the fact that we call association football "soccer" even though that name was coined at Oxford.

I'd actually like the English to let it go American English - it's really a thing 1335987845
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu May 21, 2020 12:41 am

Once, when I was enjoying pressed coffee, at my Chelsea hotel, on an English garden morning, I read in the London Times an article by some learned chap at Oxbridge who claimed that the American accent is most like how English was spoken at the time of George III.

My breast swelled with pride as I put away my fake Scot's accent and said to people around...yeah...howya doin...doncha jus love the day, the smell of the flouers an' all?

The waitress just put the tab down for me to sign.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu May 21, 2020 2:18 am

Just upgraded to the latest version of Ubuntu on my laptop, and because I did it here in the UK, I've got "favourites" and a "rubbish bin" instead of "favorites" and a "trash can."

Honestly, doesn't bother me. I don't want everyone to speak, act or think the same. I really, really enjoy the fact that we don't.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu May 21, 2020 4:15 am

I speak American, English and Scots. Laughing
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 22, 2020 12:29 am

Je parle un peu français.

Vorbesc puțin românește
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri May 22, 2020 12:39 am

eddie wrote:Je parle un peu français.

Vorbesc puțin românește

Putin isn't Roman, he's Russian, but nice try ...

No puedo entender por que hablas caca, en serio Cool
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 22, 2020 12:41 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:Je parle un peu français.

Vorbesc puțin românește

Putin isn't Roman, he's Russian, but nice try ...

No puedo entender por que hablas caca, en serio Cool

Oh, whatever. La dracu. Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Fri May 22, 2020 1:48 am

Does pig Latin count?
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 22, 2020 1:57 am

Lurker wrote:Does pig Latin count?

Is that the language one uses when one is married to a fat Latina?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Fri May 22, 2020 10:06 am

Maddog wrote:It's just American. No need to even add English.  American English - it's really a thing 1366281442

That's "muracun" to you, buddy. Smile
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down