NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Overdressed' mum barred from pool

5 posters

Go down

'Overdressed' mum barred from pool  Empty 'Overdressed' mum barred from pool

Post by veya_victaous Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:41 am

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/2030403/overdressed-mum-barred-from-pool/

A Dapto mum who was not allowed to swim at Port Kembla Olympic Pool because she was wearing too much clothing for the lifeguard's liking has lodged a complaint with Wollongong council, citing discrimination.

Body-conscious Katherine Pulo wore a rash vest and a stretchy, lightweight dress as she approached the pool with her two sons about 11.45am Jan. 17.

She told the Mercury she was stopped by a council lifeguard who told her: "I can only let Muslims in the pool in dresses."

Ms Pulo, 39, who has worn the dress previously without incident, asked "How do you know I'm not Muslim?" The guard replied: "You're not Muslim."

Ms Pulo's boys, Lucas and Mitchell, aged 8 and 5, called out to her to join them in the water, but Ms Pulo remained poolside in the early afternoon heat, telling the boys, "I can't."

Ms Pulo said the incident left her embarrassed and demoralised. She has been swimming at Port Kembla since she was four years old.

Years ago she would wear a two-piece bathing suit, but she switched to more modest swimwear after the birth of Lucas, and took to the dress after she had Mitchell.

"I'm overweight ... and self-conscious," Ms Pulo said.

"Instead of staying home and feeling that, I say to myself: get out there, cover yourself up and don't let it stop you having fun.

"I feel discriminated against. Just because I'm not bound by a religion shouldn't mean I can't dress modestly. It's my choice. Why should I miss out on going for a swim because I'm conscious about my body?"

A friend, Fiona Garcia, whose daughter Aprelle was swimming with Ms Pulo's children, said she approached the lifeguard over the incident, telling him "This is discrimination."

Told he would be the subject of a complaint, she said the guard replied: "Put in two [complaints]".

Wollongong City Council's manager of property and recreation, Peter Coyte, said swimmers at the city's public pools were required to wear "swimming attire" in the water.

"Council works within guidelines set out by NSW Health, and therefore doesn't permit the wearing of inappropriate clothing, or 'street' clothing, due to potential health risks," Mr Coyte said.

Signs were posted at all council-run pools, advising swimmers that appropriate swimming attire must be worn in the water, and lifeguards were required to enforce the rule, a council spokeswoman said.

Despite this, council apologised and would investigate Ms Pulo's complaint.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

'Overdressed' mum barred from pool  Empty Re: 'Overdressed' mum barred from pool

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:47 am

If she only used the dress for swimming, that's OK isn't it?

I must say that she should stop worrying about being fat and what others think of her.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

'Overdressed' mum barred from pool  Empty Re: 'Overdressed' mum barred from pool

Post by Guest Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:27 pm

surely its discrimination if muslims are allowed to swim in dresses...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:36 pm

Lose weight fatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:43 pm

heavenly father wrote:surely its discrimination if muslims are allowed to swim in dresses...

Seems to me that way, if they're the only ones ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:38 pm

Almost all swimming pools in France ban swimming shorts and even women's swimming costumes with built in skirts. Speedo's are the norm although sparkly ones aren't compulsory  Shocked 

It's all to do with hygiene and I suspect it's the same in this instance.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:56 pm

Shouldn't allow one set of people to wear certain clothes due to religion and not others.

I also agree with Ragga, she probably shouldn't worry what people think but it's obviously not that easy.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:12 am

feelthelove wrote:Almost all swimming pools in France ban swimming shorts and even women's swimming costumes with built in skirts. Speedo's are the norm although sparkly ones aren't compulsory Shocked

Doubt it, Muslims can swim fully clothed. the dress is actually sold to Muslim Women for swimming.

Plus those same pools are used for the "swim survive" classes for kids, part of which is swimming in street clothes including shoes (and taking them off in the water) been a long time since I done it but as a kid I could swim 200m in full tracksuit (one of the tests) which is epically harder than swimming in board shorts. I can swim kilometres in board shorts  Wink  but not unsual for Aussies as we learn to swim at the same time as learning to walk. Pools and the beach are a big part of our culture  sunny sunny sunny 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:17 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
feelthelove wrote:Almost all swimming pools in France ban swimming shorts and even women's swimming costumes with built in skirts. Speedo's are the norm although sparkly ones aren't compulsory  Shocked

Doubt it, Muslims can swim fully clothed.  the dress is actually sold to Muslim Women for swimming.

Plus those same pools are used for the "swim survive" classes for kids, part of which is swimming in street clothes including shoes (and taking them off in the water) been a long time since I done it but as a kid I could swim 200m in full tracksuit (one of the tests) which is epically harder than swimming in board shorts. I can swim kilometres in board shorts   Wink  but not unsual for Aussies as we learn to swim at the same time as learning to walk. Pools and the beach are a big part of our culture  sunny sunny sunny 

'Overdressed' mum barred from pool  Snorkl11 I'm jealous Veya, I love the beach and the sun.  Fortunately I'm lucky to be able to sneak off a couple of times a year to enjoy what you have every single day.  Not Australia though but I would like to someday. Love the Caribbean 'Overdressed' mum barred from pool  Sunbat18x

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:03 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
feelthelove wrote:Almost all swimming pools in France ban swimming shorts and even women's swimming costumes with built in skirts. Speedo's are the norm although sparkly ones aren't compulsory Shocked

Doubt it, Muslims can swim fully clothed. the dress is actually sold to Muslim Women for swimming.

Plus those same pools are used for the "swim survive" classes for kids, part of which is swimming in street clothes including shoes (and taking them off in the water) been a long time since I done it but as a kid I could swim 200m in full tracksuit (one of the tests) which is epically harder than swimming in board shorts. I can swim kilometres in board shorts  Wink  but not unsual for Aussies as we learn to swim at the same time as learning to walk. Pools and the beach are a big part of our culture  sunny sunny sunny 

That's interesting.... Is it typical for children to be trained in survival swimming in Oz Veya?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:16 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:If she only used the dress for swimming, that's OK isn't it?

I must say that she should stop worrying about being fat and what others think of her.

she isn't fat from what i can see .
My son works at a countryclub gym and he said muslim women swim in thier burkini's so why can't this woman ?

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:39 pm

lovedust wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:

Doubt it, Muslims can swim fully clothed.  the dress is actually sold to Muslim Women for swimming.

Plus those same pools are used for the "swim survive" classes for kids, part of which is swimming in street clothes including shoes (and taking them off in the water) been a long time since I done it but as a kid I could swim 200m in full tracksuit (one of the tests) which is epically harder than swimming in board shorts. I can swim kilometres in board shorts   Wink  but not unsual for Aussies as we learn to swim at the same time as learning to walk. Pools and the beach are a big part of our culture  sunny sunny sunny 

That's interesting.... Is it typical for children to be trained in survival swimming in Oz Veya?

Yes, in recent years with the influx of immigrants (parents that can't swim well) it has even become part of the school curriculum. What Bee said about the rips is true, a tourist that is only used to swimming pools can swim out to were locals are swimming and get in trouble that's why if your here, Swim between the flags so the surf lifesavers can keep an eye on you and save you if needed.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:50 pm

It does sound like a really good idea - both to enhance swimming skills from early on and as a means of averting potential tragedy too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down