NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The British in India

2 posters

Go down

The British in India Empty The British in India

Post by Cass Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:43 pm

The British in India: A Social History of The Raj by David Gilmour (no, not Pink Floyd lol)

Just finished this. What a terrific book. He’s taken on a huge and contentious part of history and has done it in a sympathetic yet equal manner. His research is top notch. I have literally 2 pages of book titles that I want to read now.

I have ordered two of his other books, Curzon, and The Ruling Caste. Hope they are as good as this one was. A lot of fascinating history especially the way the EIC started.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

The British in India Empty Re: The British in India

Post by Guest Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:46 pm

Cass wrote:The British in India: A Social History of The Raj by David Gilmour (no, not Pink Floyd lol)

Just finished this. What a terrific book. He’s taken on a huge and contentious part of history and has done it in a sympathetic yet equal manner. His research is top notch. I have literally 2 pages of book titles that I want to read now.

I have ordered two of his other books, Curzon, and The Ruling Caste. Hope they are as good as this one was. A lot of fascinating history especially the way the EIC started.

Thanks for the heads Up Me lady. Will look to get

Finished recently "Victoria's Wars" by Saul David and am reading the "The Black Prince" by Michael Jones at the moment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:51 pm

phildidge wrote:
Cass wrote:The British in India: A Social History of The Raj by David Gilmour (no, not Pink Floyd lol)

Finished recently "Victoria's Wars" by Saul David and am reading the "The Black Prince" by Michael Jones at the moment.

Back at you. I heard from a friend who is also liking the Jones book. Cheers!
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:52 pm

Dyer led a small party of soldiers to Jallianwala Bagh, an open area of six or seven acres surrounded by high walls in the heart of Amritsar. There 15,000 to 20,000 had gathered, including women and children, some to discuss politics but most to celebrate Baisakhi, the great Sikh festival. Without any warning, and just 30 seconds after he entered the park, Dyer ordered his soldiers to fire. They fired for 10 minutes and stopped only because they had run out of ammunition. By then 337 men, 41 women and a baby of seven weeks had been killed, with another 1,500 injured (the Indians claimed more than 1,000 were killed.)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/apr/12/britain-amritsar-massacre-centenary-1919-india

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest … if we want to learn the use of arms, here is a golden opportunity."
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:54 pm

Maddog wrote:Dyer led a small party of soldiers to Jallianwala Bagh, an open area of six or seven acres surrounded by high walls in the heart of Amritsar. There 15,000 to 20,000 had gathered, including women and children, some to discuss politics but most to celebrate Baisakhi, the great Sikh festival. Without any warning, and just 30 seconds after he entered the park, Dyer ordered his soldiers to fire. They fired for 10 minutes and stopped only because they had run out of ammunition. By then 337 men, 41 women and a baby of seven weeks had been killed, with another 1,500 injured (the Indians claimed more than 1,000 were killed.)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/apr/12/britain-amritsar-massacre-centenary-1919-india

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest … if we want to learn the use of arms, here is a golden opportunity."

He doesn’t cover much about The Rebellion in this one as it’s such a huge section itself, but it was a terrible atrocity on both sides.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:55 pm

Cass wrote:
phildidge wrote:

Back at you. I heard from a friend who is also liking the Jones book. Cheers!

Really enjoying it. Quite a remarkable character Prince Edward. You would really enjoy this

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:55 pm

Cass wrote:
Maddog wrote:Dyer led a small party of soldiers to Jallianwala Bagh, an open area of six or seven acres surrounded by high walls in the heart of Amritsar. There 15,000 to 20,000 had gathered, including women and children, some to discuss politics but most to celebrate Baisakhi, the great Sikh festival. Without any warning, and just 30 seconds after he entered the park, Dyer ordered his soldiers to fire. They fired for 10 minutes and stopped only because they had run out of ammunition. By then 337 men, 41 women and a baby of seven weeks had been killed, with another 1,500 injured (the Indians claimed more than 1,000 were killed.)

He doesn’t cover much about The Rebellion in this one as it’s such a huge section itself, but it was a terrible atrocity on both sides.

Both sides?

This was shooting unarmed fish in a barrel.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:07 pm

Maddog wrote:
Cass wrote:

Both sides?  

This was shooting unarmed fish in a barrel.

I meant the Rebellion as a whole not just this one massacre. Look at stories of Lucknow and Meerut and Cawnpore.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down