NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

India: Gay Sex Illegal

3 posters

Go down

India:  Gay Sex Illegal Empty India: Gay Sex Illegal

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:47 am

12th December 2013

NEW DELHI — The Indian Supreme Court reinstated on Wednesday a colonial-era law banning gay sex, ruling that it had been struck down improperly by a lower court.

The 1861 law, which imposes a 10-year sentence for “carnal intercourse against the order of nature with man, woman or animal,” was ruled unconstitutional in a 2009 decision. But the Supreme Court held that only Parliament had the power to change that law.

There is almost no chance that Parliament will act where the Supreme Court did not, advocates and opponents of the law agreed. With the Bharatiya Janata Party, a conservative Hindu nationalist group, appearing in ascendancy before national elections in the spring, the prospect of any legislative change in the next few years is highly unlikely, analysts said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/12/world/asia/court-restores-indias-ban-on-gay-sex.html?_r=2&

Back to top Go down

India:  Gay Sex Illegal Empty Re: India: Gay Sex Illegal

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:23 am

And your view on it Andy?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:27 pm

Sassy wrote:And your view on it Andy?

The silence speaks volumes doesn't it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:33 pm

Doesn't it just!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:45 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:47 pm

Not exactly an opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:52 pm

Says things better than I could.

Please stop being so confrontational when there is clearly no need to be.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:57 pm

Why is asking for your opinion on a topic that you started confrontational? Surely, as you started the topic you have an opinion? If so, why so shy about giving it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:08 pm

Being gay in India is deemed a very bad thing. I feel sorry for any gay people living there, they must be very frightened.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:11 pm

I agree Lovebug. The Australian decision can be overturned, this one is less likely to be and takes India backwards. As you say, very frightening for gay people who live there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:57 pm

It's an absolutely awful decision which has been taken by the Indian government and one which will hopefully be overturned in the near future.
One also hopes that the equally disturbing Australian decision will be overturned.

My husband agrees with my thoughts that the Indian ruling will remain in place for the foreseeable future,much to my annoyance I hasten to say while the Australian ruling will be overturned.

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:46 pm

The BJP are just like the BNP here in the UK. If they want their country to move forward this law will not be helping them.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:40 pm

Yep, every country has it's bigots.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:40 pm

Sassy wrote:Yep, every country has it's bigots.

Which can be comforting in an odd way, I guess. We certainly have a lot of prize bigots here in America, but the idea of banning homosexuality outright here has been a fringe view for some time, since well before the majority of Americans supported marriage equality.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:44 pm

Some people feel threatened by anything that is not part of their own lives and they don't understand.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:00 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Sassy wrote:Yep, every country has it's bigots.

Which can be comforting in an odd way, I guess. We certainly have a lot of prize bigots here in America, but the idea of banning homosexuality outright here has been a fringe view for some time, since well before the majority of Americans supported marriage equality.

What a quaint way of looking at marriage as my husband is perfectly equal to me,as long as the twit does as I say.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:04 pm

Wasn't Ben talking about marriage equality vis a vis men marrying men and woman marrying woman equal to men marrying women?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:08 pm

Sassy wrote:Wasn't Ben talking about marriage equality vis a vis men marrying men and woman marrying woman equal to men marrying women?

I positively will not be speaking to you until you apologise for attacking me elsewhere.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:10 pm

What? Where?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:16 pm

Sassy wrote:What?   Where?  

So sorry and do please forget what I said as I am new to this type of forum which is not soley business orientated.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:17 pm

No worries.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:21 pm

Sassy wrote:No worries.

Thanks and I'll try to adjust my temper as it's been a long week so far and at times I think I'm surrounded by cretins.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:23 pm

£BILLION£ wrote:

So sorry and do please forget what I said as I am new to this type of forum which is not soley business orientated.

How did you find out about this forum, did someone business orientated mention it to you  Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:12 pm

the aussie one is not quite so bad as the Indian one, they can still have sex just not get married (again Sad )
it is hard to get momentum for it here, because legally marraige doesn't mean a lot. de factos have all the same rights as married couple so a gay couple doesn't even need to a have a civil service to get the rights (besides the piece of paper that saya married) that a hetrosexual couple have. If you have a live together relationship for more than 6 months in the eyes of the law you become de factos and get to lay claim to each other stuff (plus taxation things and all the rest, but it is 'the half the stuff' thing that most straight guys worry about  tongue  )

But this is like the 3rd time and each time it gets a little closer to being not overturned. so hopefully soon
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:16 pm

That's interesting Veya, because here couples living together have no rights, even if they have lived together for years, as some women have found out to their cost.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:25 pm

yep thats why they made the law, to proctect women.

Plus we are so Multicultural now that tradional marriage laws weren't keeping up with all the variations, this at least gives everyone some cover.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:33 pm

Good idea.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:57 pm

Catman wrote:
£BILLION£ wrote:

How did you find out about this forum, did someone business orientated mention it to you  Smile 

Catty I do love your avatar as it's so quaint.Does it resemble you in any way? And no darling none of my business associates use silly forums like this as we tend to frequent business equivalents as a means of dealing in finance privately.But I don't suppose you would understand the meaning of that,silly me.

To make it simple for you darling I found it while trawling the net.

Back to top Go down