NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Neil deGrasse on the recent shootings

3 posters

Go down

Neil deGrasse on the recent shootings Empty Neil deGrasse on the recent shootings

Post by Guest Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:56 am

In the past 48hrs, the USA horrifically lost 34 people to mass shootings.

On average, across any 48hrs, we also lose…

500 to Medical errors
300 to the Flu
250 to Suicide
200 to Car Accidents
40 to Homicide via Handgun

Often our emotions respond more to spectacle than to data.

https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/1158074774297468928

Its been well received by many. With over 220,000 likes and yet others have been really angered

I think those angered are completely missing his point

He is not downplaying the shootings. He is showing how different people react to the different deaths of people emotionally.

What do others think?

Back to top Go down

Neil deGrasse on the recent shootings Empty Re: Neil deGrasse on the recent shootings

Post by Eilzel Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:57 am

phildidge wrote:In the past 48hrs, the USA horrifically lost 34 people to mass shootings.

500 to Medical errors
300 to the Flu
250 to Suicide
200 to Car Accidents

Its been well received by many. With over 220,000 likes and yet others have been really angered

He is not downplaying the shootings. He is showing how different people react to the different deaths of people emotionally.

What do others think?

I suppose the difference would be that those others are down to individual conditions or accidents.
In the case of a shooting the added horror is that another human could do that to someone else. Which may be why people are so much more emotionally struck by it.

I don't disagree with what NDT says, but his timing is very off.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Neil deGrasse on the recent shootings Empty Re: Neil deGrasse on the recent shootings

Post by Maddog Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:15 pm

Eilzel wrote:
phildidge wrote:In the past 48hrs, the USA horrifically lost 34 people to mass shootings.

500 to Medical errors
300 to the Flu
250 to Suicide
200 to Car Accidents

What do others think?

I suppose the difference would be that those others are down to individual conditions or accidents.
In the case of a shooting the added horror is that another human could do that to someone else. Which may be why people are so much more emotionally struck by it.

40 homicides by handgun?

The spectacle of 20 people being killed in one event, has a greater impact on people then 30 people being killed in 30 events, even if the death toll is higher in the 30 events.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:16 pm

500 to Medical errors
300 to the Flu
250 to Suicide
200 to Car Accidents

What do others think?

What this is trying to say is: killing by guns is alright because killing happens in so many other ways. This is a clear argument of tu quoque, or whataboutism. It is saying, what about these other deaths(?), not addressing the core question of how to prevent all deaths.

There is no equivalency between deaths during surgery, illness, suicide and automobile accidents. The firearm exists for intentional killing...physicians and automobiles do not.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:41 pm

Eilzel wrote:

500 to Medical errors
300 to the Flu
250 to Suicide
200 to Car Accidents

What do others think?

But this is the point mate. How people switch on and off to deaths and how that death happens.

Countless people die everyday and its how these emotions are formed through types of acts

A|gree with your last point

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:16 am

TweetStorm
NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON·MONDAY, AUGUST 5, 2019·READING TIME: 2 MINUTES
TweetStorm -  August 5, 2019

Yesterday, a Tweet I posted in reaction to the horrific mass shootings in America over the previous 48 hours, killing 34 people, spawned mixed and highly critical responses.

If you missed it, I offered a short list of  largely preventable causes of death, along with their average two-day death toll in the United States.  They significantly exceeded the death toll from the two days of mass shootings, including the number of people (40) who on average die from handgun homicides every two days.

I then noted that we tend to react emotionally to spectacular incidences of death, with the implication that more common causes of death trigger milder responses within us.

My intent was to offer objectively true information that might help shape conversations and reactions to preventable ways we die.  Where I miscalculated was that I genuinely believed the Tweet would be helpful to anyone trying to save lives in America.  What I learned from the range of reactions is that for many people, some information –-my Tweet in particular -- can be true but unhelpful, especially at a time when many people are either still in shock, or trying to heal – or both.

So if you are one of those people, I apologize for not knowing in advance what effect my Tweet could have on you. I am therefore thankful for the candor and depth of critical reactions shared in my Twitter feed. As an educator,  I personally value knowing with precision and accuracy what reaction anything that I say (or write) will instill in my audience, and I got this one wrong.

Respectfully Submitted
Neil deGrasse  Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:33 am

phildidge wrote:TweetStorm

Yesterday, a Tweet I posted in reaction to the horrific mass shootings in America over the previous 48 hours, killing 34 people, spawned mixed and highly critical responses.

If you missed it, I offered a short list of  largely preventable causes of death, along with their average two-day death toll in the United States.  They significantly exceeded the death toll from the two days of mass shootings, including the number of people (40) who on average die from handgun homicides every two days.

I then noted that we tend to react emotionally to spectacular incidences of death, with the implication that more common causes of death trigger milder responses within us.

My intent was to offer objectively true information that might help shape conversations and reactions to preventable ways we die.  Where I miscalculated was that I genuinely believed the Tweet would be helpful to anyone trying to save lives in America.  What I learned from the range of reactions is that for many people, some information –-my Tweet in particular -- can be true but unhelpful, especially at a time when many people are either still in shock, or trying to heal – or both.

So if you are one of those people, I apologize for not knowing in advance what effect my Tweet could have on you. I am therefore thankful for the candor and depth of critical reactions shared in my Twitter feed. As an educator,  I personally value knowing with precision and accuracy what reaction anything that I say (or write) will instill in my audience, and I got this one wrong.

Respectfully Submitted
Neil deGrasse  Tyson

Classy man Smile
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:03 am

Eilzel wrote:

Respectfully Submitted
Neil deGrasse  Tyson

Classy man Smile

My sentiments exactly  Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:13 pm

Respectfully Submitted
Neil deGrasse  Tyson

It was sort of like telling a widow, at her husbands funeral, that he probably wouldn't have croaked so soon, if he hadn't been a smoker.

Correct, factual and insensitive.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:18 pm

Maddog wrote:Correct, factual and insensitive.

My sentiments exactly.  Smile   Plus, unhelpful.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down