NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some vegans freak out when fake meat tastes too much like the real thing

4 posters

Go down

Some vegans freak out when fake meat tastes too much like the real thing Empty Some vegans freak out when fake meat tastes too much like the real thing

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:38 pm

I remember having this happen to me as a vegetarian ... I've tried Quorn products and a few of them are really good. I could be convinced that a Quorn nugget was chicken.

When 19-year-old Kaysha Clarius bit into KFC’s hugely successful vegan “Imposter burger” in late June, she was disturbed. A vegan for two years, the mother from Bristol felt the fake fried chicken tasted alarmingly real. “I used to eat KFC, and it was very similar to that,” she says. She stopped eating, took a picture of the fillet and posted it on a 46,000-strong Facebook group for British vegans.

The KFC vegan burger is made from Quorn, a British meat substitute made from a fermented fungus bound with potato protein. The chain is just one of a growing number of fast food outlets offering vegan options. Pizza Hut launched a vegan pizza in January 2018, and the McDonald’s vegan Happy Meal was in its restaurants a year later. Yet, while advancements in the fake meat market delight many vegans, others are concerned that they could, in fact, be eating meat.

“I always get paranoid when [fake meat] tastes so much like the real thing, that one day it’s all going to come out on the news that we have been tricked into eating real meat this whole time,” reads one comment on the Facebook group. In February, a commenter posted a picture of Greggs’ vegan sausage roll, seeking reassurance that it wasn’t real meat. “Had to stop eating,” they wrote. “Please tell me it’s safe.”

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2019/jul/02/im-paranoid-its-meat-the-rise-of-vegan-conspiracy-theories
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Some vegans freak out when fake meat tastes too much like the real thing Empty Re: Some vegans freak out when fake meat tastes too much like the real thing

Post by eddie Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:41 pm

I think the Guardian may be confusing Vegans and vegetarians because vegans won’t touch most Quorn products because they contain eggs and milk.

So not sure whether this article is entirely written or researched properly.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Some vegans freak out when fake meat tastes too much like the real thing Empty Re: Some vegans freak out when fake meat tastes too much like the real thing

Post by Vintage Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:45 pm

I don't understand why someone who doesn't eat meat for whatever reason chooses a lookalike, tastealike fake meat product. What's the point.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:32 pm

Vintage wrote:I don't understand why someone who doesn't eat meat for whatever reason chooses a lookalike, tastealike fake meat product. What's the point.

Well to be honest they don’t taste like meat. They’re not oily like meat or fibrous (which I hated) and they don’t have that “fatty” taste that I could never get past.

I don’t like all Quorn products anyway.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:46 pm

Vintage wrote:I don't understand why someone who doesn't eat meat for whatever reason chooses a lookalike, tastealike fake meat product. What's the point.

I think it's a culture thing. We who were raised eating meat learned to think of it as the main course, with veggies and carbs as side dishes. So having a fake meat product as the main course feels more normal than, say, deciding to have green beans for dinner, with sides of pasta and a carrot.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:20 am

Some vegans freak out when fake meat tastes too much like the real thing 3922118137

That woman in the O/P is an idiot...

And like eddie suggested, she's clearly not a genuine "vegan"  --  as I've pointed out several times, there are a lot of faux vegans out there, claiming to be something they're obviously not..

As for the 'KFC taste' :   is she really so stoopid that she doesn't realise that brand-name "tastes" come from additives and spices ?  I doubt that stupid faux-vegan even knows what genuine plain old chicken meat tastes like..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:08 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote: Some vegans freak out when fake meat tastes too much like the real thing 3922118137

That woman in the O/P is an idiot...

And like eddie suggested, she's clearly not a genuine "vegan"  --  as I've pointed out several times, there are a lot of faux vegans out there, claiming to be something they're obviously not..

As for the 'KFC taste' :   is she really so stoopid that she doesn't realise that brand-name "tastes" come from additives and spices ?  I doubt that stupid faux-vegan even knows what genuine plain old chicken meat tastes like..

I tend to agree with you. A lot of people are not very good at realising that a lot of the taste in food comes from the actual seasoning you use.

The vegans in this particular article appear to be a little stupid.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down