NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Men with beards carry more germs than DOGS with deadly bacteria in their facial hair, study reveals

+3
veya_victaous
nicko
HoratioTarr
7 posters

Go down

Men with beards carry more germs than DOGS with deadly bacteria in their facial hair, study reveals Empty Men with beards carry more germs than DOGS with deadly bacteria in their facial hair, study reveals

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:46 am

It's bad news for hipsters but men with beards harbour more germs in their whiskers than dogs carry in their fur, scientists say.

The alarming news follows a study that found every sampled beard was crawling with bacteria, and nearly half had bugs that were hazardous to human health.

By contrast, a number of the dogs tested proved to have lower levels of microbes. Now men have been left bristling with fury, with claims that the results stem from pogonophobia – the irrational fear of beards.

In the study, scientists wanted to discover whether there was a risk that humans might pick up a dog-borne disease from an MRI scanner that was also used for examinations by vets. Researchers took swabs from the beards of 18 men and the necks of 30 dogs, across a range of breeds, and compared the results.

Professor Andreas Gutzeit, of Switzerland's Hirslanden Clinic, said: 'The researchers found a significantly higher bacterial load in specimens taken from the men's beards compared with the dogs' fur.' The study found all of the bearded men, aged from 18 to 76, showed high microbial counts, but only 23 out of 30 dogs had high counts. The remainder had moderate levels.

Seven men were even found to harbour microbes that posed a threat to human health.

After the MRI exams of the dogs, the scanners were disinfected and showed a 'significantly' lower bacteria count compared with levels seen when used by humans.

'On the basis of these findings, dogs can be considered as clean compared with bearded men,' said Dr Gutzeit.

But Keith Flett, founder of the Beard Liberation Front, which opposes discrimination against the hirsute, cast doubt on the report.

'I think it's possible to find all sorts of unpleasant things if you took swabs from people's hair and hands and then tested them,' he said. 'I don't believe that beards in themselves are unhygienic.

'There seems to be a constant stream of negative stories about beards that suggest it's more about pogonophobia than anything else.'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6919551/Men-beards-carry-germs-DOGS-deadly-bacteria-facial-hair-study-reveals.html
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Men with beards carry more germs than DOGS with deadly bacteria in their facial hair, study reveals Empty Re: Men with beards carry more germs than DOGS with deadly bacteria in their facial hair, study reveals

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:47 am

Can't stand big bushy beards! Yuk
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Men with beards carry more germs than DOGS with deadly bacteria in their facial hair, study reveals Empty Re: Men with beards carry more germs than DOGS with deadly bacteria in their facial hair, study reveals

Post by nicko Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:53 am

Did he get paid to produce this bullshit ?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:59 am

nicko wrote:Did he get paid to produce this bullshit ?

God knows but I hate beards. Don't mind a short one, but those long ones...urgh. I imagine most men shower and wash every single day but if you don't then it is going to get full of bacteria, like any other part of your body you don't wash.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:25 pm

I have a short grey beard, my Cat keeps it clean, he licks it nearly every Day !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:04 am

nicko wrote:I have a short grey beard,  my Cat keeps it clean, he licks it nearly every Day !

LOL Razz Razz

I got a mid length, black going grey bread
I do try to keep it clean though Wink the dogs help of course  lol!
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:11 am

What about women with beards?
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:03 pm

Andy wrote:What about women with beards?

The cats won't discriminate.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:42 pm

I'm dubious about this, too. I thoroughly clean mine daily, wash my face, etc. Dogs tramp around in all kinds of disgusting stuff.

Besides, didn't another study find that smartphone screens are as dirty as toilet seats or something?

We're surrounded by germs, and being afraid of them is why we have a record number of kids with deadly nut allergies, etc.

Playing in the dirt and even eating stuff that's fallen on the floor is beneficial to kids' immune systems. So I'm thinking that beards don't pose any kind of deadly threat ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:11 pm

How is hair on your head or your pubes, any different? Rolling Eyes

Come to think of it, how about the thousands of hairs all over our bodies?

People sleep with dogs and cats, touch toilet door handles, sit on bus or train seats and they’re worried about beard hair? Jeez.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:46 pm

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:I'm dubious about this, too. I thoroughly clean mine daily, wash my face, etc. Dogs tramp around in all kinds of disgusting stuff.

Besides, didn't another study find that smartphone screens are as dirty as toilet seats or something?

We're surrounded by germs, and being afraid of them is why we have a record number of kids with deadly nut allergies, etc.

Playing in the dirt and even eating stuff that's fallen on the floor is beneficial to kids' immune systems. So I'm thinking that beards don't pose any kind of deadly threat ...

I don't doubt most men wash their faces every single day. But you can bet there's a good few who don't. I shouldn't think a beard is a threat.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down