NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Moral Bankruptcy of Cameron

Go down

The Moral Bankruptcy of Cameron Empty The Moral Bankruptcy of Cameron

Post by Phoenix Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:12 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/10638241/Deceit-as-Cameron-ditches-pledge-to-give-voters-power-to-sack-MPs.html

If you are in any doubt about Cameron let this be a decider. When I read this I was astonished. Even though I dislike Cameron intensely surely this can't be I said.

The guys private education was wasted if he can't see how morally bankrupt this decision is. Has he got a political death wish?

Phoenix
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The Moral Bankruptcy of Cameron Empty Re: The Moral Bankruptcy of Cameron

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:13 pm

Either that or reason to fear being recalled by his own electorate. I cannot see any excuse for recall not being allowed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:17 pm

a political promise isn't worth a penny... :D 

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:23 pm

I always try to understand what is at the back of something he will be torn apart by his own back benchers. I wonder truly whether he has given up and is handing the election to the opposition as a way of punishing the back benchers there is no other explanation for this. Thank you very much.

Phoenix
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:34 pm

I can't stand Cameron - but from a practical point of view I don't think scrapping MPs mid-term is workable. All governments are unpopular halfway through their term in office. If this went ahead you'd be having by-elections all over the place. Sounds good in moral terms, but in reality? I don't think so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:39 pm

Tess. wrote:I can't stand Cameron - but from a practical point of view I don't think scrapping MPs mid-term is workable.  All governments are unpopular halfway through their term in office.  If this went ahead you'd be having by-elections all over the place.  Sounds good in moral terms, but in reality?  I don't think so.

But it was never about just being unpopular - it was in cases of criminal conviction or similar. As it stands an MP could be caught kiddy fiddling, and be on bail awaiting sentencing and still be representing his constituents - and there would be nothing they could do about it. If he was a member of a party they could kick him out of the party but he would simply become an independent.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:40 pm

Didn't he promise an election on leaving the eu if he got elected, that soon got buried...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:44 pm

heavenly father wrote:Didn't he promise an election on leaving the eu if he got elected, that soon got buried...
Both Labour and the Conservatives have at various times promised a referendum if elected - and both promptly forgot the promise as soon as they actually were elected. In fact in 2012 Cameron was stating an absolute NO to referendum before being forced to back track so far he U-turned into the 2017 promise (which he has admitted will not be binding even if it happens)

It is quite simple - if you believe we need to get out of the EU then there is only one single party who is going to keep their promise to do so - and that is UKIP.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:48 pm

sphinx wrote:
Tess. wrote:I can't stand Cameron - but from a practical point of view I don't think scrapping MPs mid-term is workable.  All governments are unpopular halfway through their term in office.  If this went ahead you'd be having by-elections all over the place.  Sounds good in moral terms, but in reality?  I don't think so.

But it was never about just being unpopular - it was in cases of criminal conviction or similar.  As it stands an MP could be caught kiddy fiddling, and be on bail awaiting sentencing and still be representing his constituents - and there would be nothing they could do about it.  If he was a member of a party they could kick him out of the party but he would simply become an independent.  
Then the rules should be changed so that any MP convicted of a criminal conviction is removed, both from his/her party and as the elected MP for his constituency. But not a general free-for-all to get rid of anyone just because they don't like him any more.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:50 pm

sphinx wrote:
heavenly father wrote:Didn't he promise an election on leaving the eu if he got elected, that soon got buried...
Both Labour and the Conservatives have at various times promised a referendum if elected - and both promptly forgot the promise as soon as they actually were elected.  In fact in 2012 Cameron was stating an absolute NO to referendum before being forced to back track so far he U-turned into the 2017 promise (which he has admitted will not be binding even if it happens)

It is quite simple - if you believe we need to get out of the EU then there is only one single party who is going to keep their promise to do so - and that is UKIP.

i know thats why i vote for them.. :D 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:53 pm

Tess. wrote:
sphinx wrote:

But it was never about just being unpopular - it was in cases of criminal conviction or similar.  As it stands an MP could be caught kiddy fiddling, and be on bail awaiting sentencing and still be representing his constituents - and there would be nothing they could do about it.  If he was a member of a party they could kick him out of the party but he would simply become an independent.  
Then the rules should be changed so that any MP convicted of a criminal conviction is removed, both from his/her party and as the elected MP for his constituency.  But not a general free-for-all to get rid of anyone just because they don't like him any more.  

The bit rejected by Cameron was to give constituents the right to recall in cases of criminal wrongdoing - it was to allow constituents the decision - they might not want to recall an MP who they feel was doing a good job for say false imprisonment of a burglar or something.

However Cameron has refused to grant this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:55 pm

Tess there is no good reason for this it is astonishing he is courting disaster for no good reason. I just can't figure it out.

Phoenix
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:59 pm

This is just a guess - and one without evidence - but it would not surprise me if there was an EU rule somewhere making recall of elected officials impossible within the term specified. I mean the EU is big on unelected commissioners so democracy and what the people want is not high on their agenda so making recall of elected officials against the rules sounds about right for them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:00 pm

Well I reckon he's a goner anyway, either at the next GE or if the Tories replace him before that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:33 pm

My how Ed Milliband must be thanking Cameron. He must be measuring up the rooms at No 10 for his furniture as we post.

Phoenix
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:54 pm

Phoenix wrote:My how Ed Milliband must be thanking Cameron. He must be measuring up the rooms at No 10 for his furniture as we post.

Not that he will be any better - just a different type of disaster. Especially with his new rules which mean the unions will hold more than 1/3rd of the votes for candidate selection.

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:08 pm

Yes but he will be working for the workers not the employers as a result.

Phoenix
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:52 pm

Phoenix wrote:Yes but he will be working for the workers not the employers as a result.

No he will be working for the union bosses who are far worse than the employers as they make their money on the dues they demand from working men and award themselves higher salaries than the employers they claim to be fighting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down