NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oprah hits campaign trail in push for America’s first black female governor

5 posters

Go down

Oprah hits campaign trail in push for America’s first black female governor Empty Oprah hits campaign trail in push for America’s first black female governor

Post by veya_victaous Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:57 pm

OPRAH Winfrey has delivered an impassioned speech in her push to elect America’s first black female governor, as US Vice President Mike Pence took aim at the star for using her fame to influence politics.
Speaking before the Republican-leaning suburbs of Atlanta, Ms Winfrey urged voters to make history by backing Democratic candidate Stacey Abrams in next week’s midterm elections.
Ms Winfrey called Ms Abrams a “changemaker” who represented the values of all Georgians, where Atlanta is the capital city.
“I am here today because Stacey Abrams cares about the things that matter,” she said to a mostly female audience.
Ms Abrams, a Yale-educated lawyer who served a decade in the Georgia Legislature, would be the first black female governor in American history.
She’s sought the post as an unapologetic liberal trying to draw new voters to the polls and prove that Georgia’s growth and diversity make it a legitimate two-party battleground.
She touts her experience working with Republicans as a state legislative leader, but she doesn’t back down on her promises to expand Medicaid insurance, prioritise public education and push for tighter gun restrictions.
Ms Winfrey, who rarely makes political endorsements, drew cheers when she said she’s a registered independent who was not in Georgia at anyone’s request.
“I paid to come here myself, and I approved this message,” she said, explaining that she tracked down Ms Abrams’ phone number and called her to say she wanted to offer assistance in the final days of the campaign.
She also urged against any reboot of recent speculation that she might run for president in 2020. “I’m not here because I’m making some grandstand for myself. I don’t want to run. I’m not testing the waters,” she said.
Ms Winfrey blasted attacks on Ms Abrams that she says she saw in her hotel room — Republican ads casts Ms Abrams as “too extreme” and “radical” for Georgia — as “noise” that is “designed to confound you with fear.”
“Democracy is not just about our individual rights and concerns and our individual protections,” Ms Winfrey said, “but rather it lives and thrives in making sure that everybody is lifted by the community.”
After her speech she noted both women were “just two women from Mississippi.”
As a black woman, Ms Winfrey noted her kinship to two groups historically denied ballot access in the United States. She recalled generations of black Americans who faced “lynching … oppression … suppression,” and declared that “their blood has seeped into my DNA” and forced her to the polls.
She encouraged women of all races — “sisters … not just ‘sistahs,”’ she joked — to remember that they would have been “just a piece of property” with no ballot barely a century ago.
Oprah hits campaign trail in push for America’s first black female governor A9a7878fd358dfb0aeba2fcaf6807d68?width=650
Ms Winfrey’s speech came as Vice President Pence stood alongside Ms Abrams’ opponent, Brian Kemp, in nearby Dalton, and mocked the billionaire media icon as just another liberal outsider trying to impose on Republican-run Georgia.
“Stacey Abrams is being bankrolled by Hollywood liberals,” Mr Pence said.
Pence drew boos from the crowd when he mentioned that “Oprah is in town” and noted that actor Will Ferrell was recently in Georgia for Democrats. “I’d like to remind Stacey and Oprah and Will Ferrell, I’m kind of a big deal, too,” Mr Pence said, adding “a message for all Stacey Abrams’ liberal friends: This ain’t Hollywood. This is Georgia.”

full story 
https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/donald-trump-condemned-for-releasing-racist-ad-reminiscent-of-infamous-willie-horton-ad/news-story/cb2b8657f22a5fbd3748f770e8fb9d7c
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Oprah hits campaign trail in push for America’s first black female governor Empty Re: Oprah hits campaign trail in push for America’s first black female governor

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:06 am

Laughing

And, of course, the fascist and racist Pence himself happily ignores his own hypocritical bullshit...

Totally ignoring the fact that the Republican Party itself has had scores of actors, musicians, wrestlers, as well as business 'leaders' and decorated war heroes,  among their politicians and spruikers/boosters over the years..

With Ronnie Raygun and Big Arnie merely being the most obvious.

Clint Eastwood and Chuck Norris both came on board as strong public supporters of the Trump train, along with several second-rate country singers..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Oprah hits campaign trail in push for America’s first black female governor Empty Re: Oprah hits campaign trail in push for America’s first black female governor

Post by JulesV Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:17 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
US Vice President Mike Pence took aim at the star for using her fame to influence politics.

Wtf. Shocked   Him complaining about that, is like complaining bitterly that 'water is wet'.   
Using fame to influence is hardly a new thing. Been happening since the year dot. 
It's what the involvement of celebs in politics is all about, & the reason for amassing millions of followers on SM.

Is Pence really as dense as he comes across?  scratch

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:38 pm

Republicans have always been kings of duplicity.

Look how, for years, they took after Hilary for her independent Internet server--Lock her up, lock her up...--only to have Trump talking, unprotected, on his cell phone, with the Chinese government admitting it is listening in.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:15 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Laughing

And, of course, the fascist and racist Pence himself happily ignores his own hypocritical bullshit...

Totally ignoring the fact that the Republican Party itself has had scores of actors, musicians, wrestlers, as well as business 'leaders' and decorated war heroes,  among their politicians and spruikers/boosters over the years..

With Ronnie Raygun and Big Arnie merely being the most obvious.

And then went even worse, basically running Paris Hilton for president with the Trump campaign. Except I imagine Paris Hilton isn't a "nationalist," as Trump declared himself to be.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down