NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men Empty Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:54 am

A new scientific study has found that 30 to 40 percent of a man's homosexuality is a result of genetics, while the rest is due to ‘environmental factors.’
Genes are involved in determining sexual orientation, a new scientific study has found. Michael Bailey, a psychologist at Northwestern University in Illinois, and his colleagues discovered that at least two chromosomes have an effect on whether a man was gay or straight.

Bailey disclosed the results of tests of 409 gay brothers and their family members at the annual American Association for the Advancement of Science conference in Chicago. Genetic factors, the researchers claimed, account for between 30 and 40 percent of a person's homosexuality.

Bailey told The London Times, “Sexual orientation has nothing to do with choice. Our findings suggest there may be genes at play and we found evidence for two sets that affect whether a man is gay or straight.”

However, Bailey's research does not support the existence of a sole "gay gene." He said sexuality was also formed, to a significant degree, by environmental factors. "Don't confuse 'environmental' with 'socially acquired'," he said. "Environment means anything that is not in our DNA at birth, and that includes a lot of stuff that is not social."

Dr. Alan Sanders, associate professor of psychiatry at Northwestern University, who led the study, told The Telegraph, “We don’t think genetics is the whole story. It’s not. We have a gene that contributes to homosexuality, but you could say it is linked to heterosexuality. It is the variation.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/15/do-you-have-gay-dna.html
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men Empty Re: Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:44 am

lol...good news, so this means they can fix it, i bet gays everywhere are very excited... :D 

Back to top Go down

Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men Empty Re: Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men

Post by Eilzel Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:13 am

Do you read the OP? It says 30-40%, and the gene 'contributes' to homosexuality- it isn't a case of simply using genetic engineering to cure homosexuality. You need to actually understand things before commenting Wink
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:16 am

Yeah HF, I bet gays everywhere will be saying to their partners of several years, "Oh well, off I go to be cured! Then I won't have to stay in this happy loving relationship anymore!"
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:30 am

eddie wrote:Yeah HF, I bet gays everywhere will be saying to their partners of several years, "Oh well, off I go to be cured! Then I won't have to stay in this happy loving relationship anymore!"

I knew you would see sense eddie.. :D 

but the ones who always say how difficult life is, the pressure, people calling you , blah blah blah woe is me, they will love a way out surely... :D 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:09 pm

heavenly father wrote:
eddie wrote:Yeah HF, I bet gays everywhere will be saying to their partners of several years, "Oh well, off I go to be cured! Then I won't have to stay in this happy loving relationship anymore!"

but the ones who always say how difficult life is, the pressure, people calling you , blah blah blah woe is me, they will love a way out surely... :D 

There's a better "way out" ... can you guess what it is?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:26 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

i think the islamic way of hanging gays is not the answer..

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:29 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

Precisely -- the far better way out of the suffering homosexuals experience would be for others to stop inflicting suffering upon them -- to just take a live-and-let-live attitude.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:31 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

Precisely -- the far better way out of the suffering homosexuals experience would be for others to stop inflicting suffering upon them -- to just take a live-and-let-live attitude.

but if they can be cured they would not be suffering..

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:34 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

"Cured" implies there is some harmful thing to cure -- there isn't anything harmful about being gay. You might as well set out to "cure" red-heads, since there are far fewer gingers than there are gay people.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:36 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

"Cured" implies there is some harmful thing to cure -- there isn't anything harmful about being gay. You might as well set out to "cure" red-heads, since there are far fewer gingers than there are gay people.

it causes sad and bad lives, gays go on about it all the time, so the cure would save them from their bad , sad lives.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:46 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

it causes sad and bad lives, gays go on about it all the time, so the cure would save them from their bad , sad lives.

I can tell you my life is far from sad or bad; and in fact improved monumentally after I came out as gay.

The only problem for gays is homophobic morons (usually religious) like yourself- if the poison of religious was allowed to die things would be much better in places where religion currently retards parts of society, be it Iran or Alabama  Smile 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:56 pm

heavenly father wrote:

Give it up HF! After all this time, haven't you mellowed?  Rolling Eyes 
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:58 pm

eddie wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

yes i have mellowed, very much so bit i think sometimes the gays need to hear themselves, especially the militant ones.. :D 

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:01 pm

heavenly father wrote:
eddie wrote:

yes i have mellowed, very much so bit i think sometimes the gays need to hear themselves, especially the militant ones.. :D 

I am sure "the gays" can hear themselves HF  afro 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:49 pm

eddie wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

I am sure "the gays" can hear themselves HF  afro 

I often wonder if they can Eddie.. :D 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:58 pm

I notice HF had NOTHING to say about Eliezel's post ... very interesting.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:06 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:I notice HF had NOTHING to say about Eliezel's post ... very interesting.

He can't argue with things that don't hit his preconceived prejudiced view of the world  Wink 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:09 pm

Eilzel wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

I can tell you my life is far from sad or bad; and in fact improved monumentally after I came out as gay.

The only problem for gays is homophobic morons (usually religious) like yourself- if the poison of religious was allowed to die things would be much better in places where religion currently retards parts of society, be it Iran or Alabama  Smile 

well you are one of the few, i thought you was bitching the other day on one of the topics on why would anyone chose to be gay when they have to go through so much........ :D 

maybe it was a less content gay...still proves a cure would be nice. :D 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:27 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Eilzel wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

well you are one of the few, i thought you was bitching the other day on one of the topics on why would anyone chose to be gay when they have to go through so much........ :D 

You need to read better, man.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:29 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

There is a difference between being a happy man who is gay and actively choosing to be gay at some random point when we are young. There is no reason to choose to be gay; a nobody does, we just are.

Now how about the other part that Ben just highlighted for you?
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:42 pm

Eilzel wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

There is a difference between being a happy man who is gay and actively choosing to be gay at some random point when we are young. There is no reason to choose to be gay; a nobody does, we just are.

Now how about the other part that Ben just highlighted for you?

well if it's built in it could be mended so that's good news, then you can be like the majority of people.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:02 pm

I'll just point out there has been a cure for Ignorance for a long time but there are plenty of people that CHOOSE to Stay Ignorant.

Why do you Avoid the Cure HF? You could be Cured and become a normal person.  tongue tongue tongue tongue 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:24 pm

veya_victaous wrote:I'll just point out there has been a cure for Ignorance for a long time but there are plenty of people that CHOOSE to Stay Ignorant.

Why do you Avoid the Cure HF? You could be Cured and become a normal person.  tongue tongue tongue tongue 

really...perhaps you should consider both cures... :D 

though being normal might fwighten you..lol

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:56 pm

@HF
No I'm fine..... :D

Just your opinions are NOT normal. MOST people disagree with you that why your upset, most people agree to give gay people the rights that you would deny them. Wink

IT is still a hypothesis (like the OP article) but your 'sickness/disease' is also probably genetic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_gene

But your logic is wrong if something is genetic it is almost impossible to cure. If something is environmental it is far easier to cure. You see Your 'sickness' is Probably genetic that’s why I am having such a hard time curing you Cool Cool Cool Cool
 Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:04 am

lol! lol! lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:29 am

Haha veya, I think more abd more people are becoming immune to thr religion sickness (a side effect of modern civilization and good universal education I'm sure) Smile

HF, my life is great, I love my BF more than I can describe, why on Earth would I want a mythical 'cure'?
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:02 am

veya_victaous wrote:@HF
No I'm fine.....  :D

Just your opinions are NOT normal. MOST people disagree with you that why your upset, most people agree to give gay people the rights that you would deny them.  Wink

IT is still a hypothesis (like the OP article) but your 'sickness/disease' is also probably genetic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_gene

But your logic is wrong if something is genetic it is almost impossible to cure. If something is environmental it is far easier to cure.  You see Your 'sickness' is Probably genetic that’s why I am having such a hard time curing you  Cool 8)8)Cool
 Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz 

correction most people on here disagree but if more Christians were to join and express their views then you would be wrong with your suggestion that our logic is wrong  :D 

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:41 am

Yes, millions of People in the developing world and Bible belt Americans ans increasingly few in the western world would agree with your logic Maine.

However the most intelligent people in the world, scientists for the most part, would not- along with increasingly large numbers in the Americas, Europe, China and the far east and Australasia.

To use of my favourites sentences, you are on the wrong side of history, just as worshippers of Thor, Osiris and Zeus once were Wink
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:47 am

veya_victaous wrote:I'll just point out there has been a cure for Ignorance for a long time but there are plenty of people that CHOOSE to Stay Ignorant.

define NORMAL.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:42 pm

Eilzel wrote:Haha veya, I think more abd more people are becoming immune to thr religion sickness (a side effect of modern civilization and good universal education I'm sure) Smile

HF, my life is great, I love my BF more than I can describe, why on Earth would I want a mythical 'cure'?

I would like to live as long as possible, see my kids, grand kids grow up, even great grand kids, perhaps you would like to do the same.. :D 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:40 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Eilzel wrote:Haha veya, I think more abd more people are becoming immune to thr religion sickness (a side effect of modern civilization and good universal education I'm sure) Smile

I would like to live as long as possible, see my kids, grand kids grow up, even great grand kids, perhaps you would like to do the same.. :D 

Homosexuality doesn't lead to lower life expectancy, no matter what the anti-gay organizations say. Being infected with HIV can lower your life expectancy (though people with HIV live much longer lives today than they did during the AIDS epidemic of the 1980s), but anyone can contract HIV, whether gay or straight.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:42 pm

heavenly father wrote:

Kids are a possibility, not so interested myself but my BF seems determined. In which case yes I'd like to live to see them all grow up- though it isn't something I give much thought too as until I met my BF it wasn't something I intended on.

Not that has anything whatsoever to do with what I posted- perhaps you'd care to elaborate (that means explain why).
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:45 pm

Eilzel wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

Kids are a possibility, not so interested myself but my BF seems determined. In which case yes I'd like to live to see them all grow up- though it isn't something I give much thought too as until I met my BF it wasn't something I intended on.

Not that has anything whatsoever to do with what I posted- perhaps you'd care to elaborate (that means explain why).

life expectancy.... :D 

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:47 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

And what do you imagine my life expectancy to be?
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:49 pm

Eilzel wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

on average 20 years less than a normal man. :D 

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:52 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

On average? You do talk shite HF. I'm sorry to break this to you but I'm as healthy as anyone I know; you may not like to believe it but most gay men do not have all manner of STD's. I am glad to say I have none (did you presume we all have HIV too?) and certainly don't imagine I'll be dying at the age of 60 or less in any case.

The life expectancy of a gay man is not actually 20 years less. Maybe a promiscuous gay man, or a drug abusing gay man; but then the same could be said of a promiscuous or drug abusing straight person.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:54 pm

Eilzel wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

On average? You do talk shite HF. I'm sorry to break this to you but I'm as healthy as anyone I know; you may not like to believe it but most gay men do not have all manner of STD's. I am glad to say I have none (did you presume we all have HIV too?) and certainly don't imagine I'll be dying at the age of 60 or less in any case.

The life expectancy of a gay man is not actually 20 years less. Maybe a promiscuous gay man, or a drug abusing gay man; but then the same could be said of a promiscuous or drug abusing straight person.

if you say so... :D 

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:57 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

It would be grand if you could actually learn to discuss things properly- instead of just playing for a reaction- we are all grown ups here  Wink 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:00 pm

Eilzel wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

It would be grand if you could actually learn to discuss things properly- instead of just playing for a reaction- we are all grown ups here  Wink 

lol, if you say so... :D  i don't think anyone imagines dying before sixty//

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:03 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

So how do you envision the average gay man, in a long term relationship in full heath, does???
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:19 pm

Eilzel wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

So how do you envision the average gay man, in a long term relationship in full heath, does???

i would assume everyone thinks they will to a ripe old age but alas many do not...

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:33 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

i would assume everyone thinks they will to a ripe old age but alas many do not...

That's not answering the question though is it. I'm asking how you think a gay man, in a long term relationship (or marriage), in full health, would be more likely to die aged 60 than a straight man?

If you can't answer I understand.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:36 pm

Eilzel wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

That's not answering the question though is it. I'm asking how you think a gay man, in a long term relationship (or marriage), in full health, would be more likely to die aged 60 than a straight man?

i would have to guess at a prolapsed bowel , std, hiv, falling of a gay pride float, choking... : among others..

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:39 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

i would have to guess at a prolapsed bowel , std, hiv, falling of a gay pride float, choking... : among others..

See now why do you assume all gay men will have STDs? Are you presuming all gay men are promiscuous? And why, as a Christian, did you post a smiley face when stating the life expectancy of gay men is lower (however much BS that is); does that idea please you?
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:41 pm

Eilzel wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

See now why do you assume all gay men will have STDs? Are you presuming all gay men are promiscuous? And why, as a Christian, did you post a smiley face when stating the life expectancy of gay men is lower (however much BS that is); does that idea please you?

i always thought it was generally accepted that gays will have many more sexual partners than normal men...

i like smiling, laughter is good medicine... :D 

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:48 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

i always thought it was generally accepted that gays will have many more sexual partners than normal men...

You think gay men dying young is something to smile about (however untrue)?

And no not all gay men have many sexual partners. Some do some don't. There is no 'rule'. So I ask again, how do you imagine a gay man, who is in a long term relationship, and in full health, is more likely to die before 60 than a straight man?
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:53 pm

Eilzel wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

And no not all gay men have many sexual partners. Some do some don't. There is no 'rule'. So I ask again, how do you imagine a gay man, who is in a long term relationship, and in full health, is more likely to die before 60 than a straight man?

many sources argue with you, they seem to say gay men are more likely to have more sexual partners than normal men...

i just told you that one prolapsed bowel, std, hiv, falling of a float at gay pride and choking are always far more likely to happen to gay men..

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:57 pm

heavenly father wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

many sources argue with you, they seem to say gay men are more likely to have more sexual partners than normal men...

i just told you that one prolapsed bowel, std, hiv, falling of a float at gay pride and choking are always far more likely to happen to gay men..

Yes, but sadly you are going of ignorance I'm going off being a gay man- who will know best? Now I have never been promiscuous, I am in a long term relationship with someone I do intend one day soon to marry and we may have kids. I have never heard of anyone suffering a prolapsed bowel; neither me nor my BF have any STDs or HIV; you pride float is just you being your usual idiot self, choking?; so how exactly am I, or any other of the millions of men like me, more likely to die before 60?
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:00 pm

Eilzel wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

Yes, but sadly you are going of ignorance I'm going off being a gay man- who will know best? Now I have never been promiscuous, I am in a long term relationship with someone I do intend one day soon to marry and we may have kids. I have never heard of anyone suffering a prolapsed bowel; neither me nor my BF have any STDs or HIV; you pride float is just you being your usual idiot self, choking?; so how exactly am I, or any other of the millions of men like me, more likely to die before 60?

while i believe what you say about being not being promiscuous, i'm afraid the percentages are against you there, perhaps your bf might be telling you pork pies about his past and even his present..

you asked ways that a gay could die and i listed the obvious ones... :D 

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next