NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eighty percent of Americans, 60 percent of Europeans can't see Milky Way

4 posters

Go down

Eighty percent of Americans, 60 percent of Europeans can't see Milky Way Empty Eighty percent of Americans, 60 percent of Europeans can't see Milky Way

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:11 pm

Which is a shame:

Eighty percent of Americans, 60 percent of Europeans can't see Milky Way 150918115148-milky-way-grand-canyon-irpt-2-exlarge-169

(CNN)If you look up at the evening sky, there's a good chance you will not be able to see what your grandmother saw when she was a little girl.

That's because we're enshrouded in an artificial haze of light that is blocking the night sky, a phenomenon scientists call light pollution.
Scientists believe one-third of humanity cannot view the Milky Way — this includes 80% of Americans and 60% of Europeans because city lights are creating fogs of light pollution, according to a new study that published Friday in the journal of Science Advances.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/11/health/light-pollution-atlas-milky-way-irpt/index.html
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Eighty percent of Americans, 60 percent of Europeans can't see Milky Way Empty Re: Eighty percent of Americans, 60 percent of Europeans can't see Milky Way

Post by eddie Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:39 pm

Eighty percent of Americans, 60 percent of Europeans can't see Milky Way Image13
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Eighty percent of Americans, 60 percent of Europeans can't see Milky Way Empty Re: Eighty percent of Americans, 60 percent of Europeans can't see Milky Way

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:16 pm

this is so true

i can see the 'clouds of stars' down in Tarago but not in Sydney. And I was actually thinking this when I was down there Saturday night

there are literally thousands of more stars visible to the naked eye when you get away from light and particle pollution
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:52 am

Eighty percent of Americans, 60 percent of Europeans can't see Milky Way 3758365944

I CAN'T see the 'Milky Way' from my yard here, either...

Only have to travel a couple of klicks west, though, and a lot more becomes visible..

Eighty percent of Americans, 60 percent of Europeans can't see Milky Way 2708656666
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:10 am

i need to get a better camera,
i tried taking some photos of birds and some red wallabies too
but they all turned out crap
Eighty percent of Americans, 60 percent of Europeans can't see Milky Way 2190311264
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:54 am

It is a sad thing that we don't do more outside activities with our children, sleeping under the stars on those hot nights when the house was just too hot to manage; we'd make up a bed roll and scatter out across the front lawn.  I don't remember many mosquito's back then either ...but laying out there listening to my parents tell us about the constellations and asking us to identify those unique ones we were able to point - the 'Milky Way' was huge and seemed to stretch on forever - big dipper always pours to the north and the little dipper always pours to the south.  

If more urban sprawl cities were as 'ANTI WASTED LIGHTENING' as Flagstaff, well the world would be far better off.  

It's been proven that highlighted area's just attract criminals at closing time --- you've left a lighted parking lot so they can see better how to be destructive to your building.  UGHHHH
Fans of starry skies take a dim view of disappearing dark
By John Ritter, USA TODAY  Updated 11/2/2007
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — Stores in a new mall here found a way to get around one of the USA's toughest lighting ordinances. That's how Chris Luginbuhl sees it anyway.
The stores hung big round globes inside their front doors that shine bright white light outside on the sidewalk and beyond. Retailers think lights attract customers like moths, Luginbuhl says, even though these "glare bombs" actually make it harder to see.
They also waste light — and energy — shining it into the night sky, he says. The lights of most urban areas in the USA erase the Milky Way and many stars from nighttime views.
"People have become estranged from the night," Luginbuhl says. "We're trying to remind people that darkness is a natural condition, not something pathological that needs fixing."
Part of Luginbuhl's job as an astronomer at the U.S. Naval Observatory here is to keep the night sky dark — or starry — and he has help. A movement to promote ways to keep the sky dark may still be small, but when a growing number of cities and towns study how to cut glaring lights and save energy costs, they look to this city of 58,000 south of the Grand Canyon as the model.

After Luginbuhl and John Grahame, co-founder of a local dark-sky coalition, complained about the mall lights, city officials got the developer to try getting the stores to change them.
"The vast majority of people grow up in a city and don't know what a dark sky looks like," says David Crawford, co-founder of the International Dark-Sky Association in Tucson. "I've never seen anybody who wasn't deeply impressed, their souls struck almost, by being out in a really dark place."
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/2007-11-02-darksky-inside_N.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down