NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Colds, flu and other nasty lurgies...have you had any yet?

+5
Vintage
Fred Moletrousers
HoratioTarr
nicko
Syl
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Colds, flu and other nasty lurgies...have you had any yet? Empty Colds, flu and other nasty lurgies...have you had any yet?

Post by Syl Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:17 pm

I ask because I woke up yesterday feeling like s**t. What a Face

I blame sitting in the Dr's waiting room (and it wasnt even me who needed to see him) I swear Dr's waitings rooms and planes are the two best places to catch something horrendous.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Colds, flu and other nasty lurgies...have you had any yet? Empty Re: Colds, flu and other nasty lurgies...have you had any yet?

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:44 pm

No I won't have a flu jab , my mother won't have one either , every year she has had a flu jab she has been really ill, so the past 2 years she refused and never got sick .

Back to top Go down

Colds, flu and other nasty lurgies...have you had any yet? Empty Re: Colds, flu and other nasty lurgies...have you had any yet?

Post by Syl Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:52 pm

Vicar of Dibley (vod) wrote:No I won't have a flu jab , my mother won't have one either , every year she has had a flu jab she has been really ill, so the past 2 years she refused and never got sick .

I hear a lot of people say the same, but medics insist the flu jab cant give you flu, it can make you feel unwell though.
I had the jab over a week ago, tbh I dont think it's that that has made me ill....I sat in the Dr's waiting room with someone a couple of days ago and I think I caught something then.

Throat feels like I have swallowed barbed wire, earache and stuffed up nose, plus for some reason my left leg wont work....but thats probably unconnected....I just thought I would mention it now I am on a roll. Colds, flu and other nasty lurgies...have you had any yet? 2989356612
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:56 pm

Not had flu in near 5 years now.

I put this down to the yearly flu jabs that I have for over a decade.

I get the odd sniffle cold, but not headache, shivering, feeling weak etc.

Just a runny nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:01 pm

Didge wrote:Not had flu in near 5 years now.

Just a runny nose
I think I have only had the flu three times in my life.
It amuses me when people say they have the flu yet they are going about their daily business.
Flu stops you in your tracks, you literally feel like you are dying and feel so bad you dont even care. pale
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:01 pm

Just a runny nose
It amuses me when people say they have the flu yet they are going about their daily business.
Flu stops you in your tracks, you literally feel like you are dying and feel so bad you dont even care. pale
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:05 pm

We had the flu in January it was a bad one we both got bronchitis , took weeks to get over it , but we think it was because we had a very serious traumatic family tragedy , the stress of that was terrible.
I've just got over a really horrible cold virus .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:08 pm

Syl wrote:

Just a runny nose

They generally just have a cold and not the flu. Its easy to see why people confused them. As they are both respiratory illnesses, but have different causes. Flus are loads worse than colds. So those saying they can handle flu are talking bollocks, as like you say. "liar, liar, pants on fire"

This is why when people have the opportunity to have a flu jab they should do so each year. As flu viruses mutate and having yearly jabs, helps build up ressistance to them. People bemoan having them, as they have a minute dose of the actual virus in them. Its the very purpose to do so, so the body learns to adpat to help deal with said viruses.

If anyone is over 40, or has lung conditions, its a must they should have them Syl

Like I say, its help keep flu at bay for me, for some time now

Happy days

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:22 pm

Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:

They generally just have a cold and not the flu. Its easy to see why people confused them. As they are both respiratory illnesses, but have different causes. Flus are loads worse than colds. So those saying they can handle flu are talking bollocks, as like you say. "liar, liar, pants on fire"

This is why when people have the opportunity to have a flu jab they should do so each year. As flu viruses mutate and having yearly jabs, helps build up ressistance to them. People bemoan having them, as they have a minute dose of the actual virus in them. Its the very purpose to do so, so the body learns to adpat to help deal with said viruses.

If anyone is over 40, or has lung conditions, its a must they should have them Syl

Happy days
I agree and hope you stay well Didge.

I started having the flu jab 20 years ago when I cared for my mum....I have it now because I am entitled to it because of my great age.  Laughing 
I dont think it's ever made me ill....this thing I have now is not caused by the jab, it's just the time of year when lots of horrible germs are doing the rounds.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:25 pm

Vicar of Dibley (vod) wrote:We had the flu in January it was a bad one we both got bronchitis , took weeks to get over it , but we think it was because we had a very serious traumatic family tragedy , the stress of that was terrible.
I've just got over a really horrible cold virus .
Thats the thing that scares me most Vod, when it goes to your chest and turns into bronchitis, that happened to me once and I was off work for over a month, I truly felt like I was dying.

I'm sorry you had it so rough in January, stress can seriously weaken our bodies and make us susceptible to illness,  Good to hear you are feeling better now. x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:28 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:

Happy days
I agree and hope you stay well Didge.

I started having the flu jab 20 years ago when I cared for my mum....I have it now because I am entitled to it because of my great age.  Laughing 
I dont think it's ever made me ill....this thing I have now is not caused by the jab, it's just the time of year when lots of horrible germs are doing the rounds.

Maybe you have sadly contracted something near impossible for a woman to contract?

Man flu

lol!

Its a severe strain, that makes men, utter whimps and pathetic. With constant whinning and feeling like they are at deaths door... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:37 pm

Man flue is not permitted now, the correct term is,

Person Flue !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:41 pm

Sadly men cannot buy Mansize tissues anymore whether they have man flu or not......tissues now have to be gender neutral. Twisted Evil
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:42 pm

nicko wrote:Man flue is not permitted now,  the correct term is,

Person Flue !

lol, but in reality, there is some science to this mate

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/evidence-based-living/201801/is-man-flu-real-phenomenon

It seems, women tend to be tougher more on the inside than men

Which I put down to them through the ages having to raise children and being exposed more to these symptoms

It hardened them more and made them more resilient than men to illness. Where no doubt there is some evolutionary bases to this. As its more important that many women survive than men. You only need a few men, to help copulate with women, to help reproduce. The more women around, the more chances, that population will survive.

Pure conjecture, I admit, but there you go

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:42 pm

Anyway....Im going back to bed I feel so rough.
Have a good day all. x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:45 pm

Syl wrote:Sadly men cannot buy Mansize tissues anymore whether they have man flu or not......tissues now have to be gender neutral. Twisted Evil

To be honest that argument on man size is silly to me Syl

Most things come in sizes already, from small, medium, large and extra large

What is man size anywhere?

In height?
Width?

On average men are certainly taller and broader, and its a real biological difference between men and women, but and its a big but.

So what, that they have changed the name to make it more universal

Its not really a big deal and do not see this as PC

I mean, can you imagine women buying clothes that stated man size?

So all they are doing is making the sizes more in line with just about everything else that is sold in sizes

Unless you think we should change clothes sizes to add, man size for women?

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:54 pm

Vicar of Dibley (vod) wrote:No I won't have a flu jab , my mother won't have one either , every year she has had a flu jab she has been really ill, so the past 2 years she refused and never got sick .

I won't either. Last time I had one, I was really ill. Haven't had flu since.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:59 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:

I won't either.   Last time I had one, I was really ill.   Haven't had flu since.

Then you have either an amasing evolutionary immune system or like Dib story. Its highly unbelievable

Considering you actually had the jab, have you considered, it was because of this, that you have not had bad flu since?

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:04 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:

I won't either.   Last time I had one, I was really ill.   Haven't had flu since.

I've been having flu jabs for years, firstly because my late wife was asthmatic and later because I'm diabetic. They've never had the slightest bad effect, I'm glad to say.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:05 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

I've been having flu jabs for years, firstly because my late wife was asthmatic and later because I'm diabetic. They've never had the slightest bad effect, I'm glad to say.

I rest my case

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:09 pm

Didge wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Then you have either an amasing evolutionary immune system or like Dib story. Its highly unbelievable

Considering you actually had the jab, have you considered, it was because of this, that you have not had bad flu since?

The flu jab is only valuable  for the flu (or more than one flu) that the medics have judged to be the strains that are likely to hit that particular year, so I doubt HT's jab from years gone by  would still be protecting her. Different flu strains need different vacines.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:15 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:

The flu jab is only valuable  for the flu (or more than one flu) that the medics have judged to be the strains that are likely to hit that particular year, so I doubt HT's jab from years gone by  would still be protecting her. Different flu strains need different vacines.

Bullshit

Do you know why?

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:51 pm

Oh, Why?
I've had a flu jab for the last three years and last year a pneumonia jab, last May I had flu, went to bed for a week and didn't care what else went on took a while to get my strength back. There were four strains of flu around last year, one of which wasn't in the jab or so I was told by the medics also the pneumonia jab isn't thought much of so many people had pneumonia this year as well (and sepsis for that matter).

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:53 pm

I had pneumonia recently, so I'm having a flu jab this year for the first time.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:55 pm

Vintage wrote:Oh, Why?
I've had a flu jab for the last three years and last year a pneumonia jab, last May I had flu, went to bed for a week and didn't care what else went on took a while to get my strength back. There were four strains of flu around last year, one of which wasn't in the jab or so I was told by the medics also the pneumonia jab isn't thought much of so many people had pneumonia this year as well (and sepsis for that matter).

I would disagree and would say you had mild pneumonia. Colds, flu and pneumonia are all very similar

They all effect the respiratory system and pneumonia is not contained by flu jabs. So who ever you talked to, is talking bullshit vintage and I simple do not believe what you are saying. Eiether they lied to you, or you are lying

There is no jab for pneumonia for a simple reason and do you know what that is?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:57 pm

Didge wrote:

I would disagree and would say you had mild pneumonia. Colds, flu and pneumonia are all very similar

They all effect the respiratory system and pneumonia is not contained by flu jabs. So who ever you talked to, is talking bullshit vintage and I simple do not believe what you are saying. Eiether they lied to you, or you are lying

There is a jab for viral pneumonia. However, a lot of pneumonia is caused by bacteria so a jab wouldn't work.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:01 pm

why not raggs....tetanus is caused by a bacteria....yet you can get an anti tetanus jab
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:02 pm

Lord Foul wrote:why not raggs....tetanus is caused by a bacteria....yet you can get an anti tetanus jab

Thank you for exaplining

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:03 pm

Lord Foul wrote:why not raggs....tetanus is caused by a bacteria....yet you can get an anti tetanus jab

Oooh, apparently you can get a jab for bacterial pneumonia.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:04 pm

Didge wrote:

Thank you for exaplining

You just said there is no jab for pneumonia, but there is.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:04 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

Oooh, apparently you can get a jab for bacterial pneumonia.

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:04 pm

and didge ther IS an anti pneumonia jab

Pneumococcal vaccine

The pneumococcal vaccine protects against serious and potentially fatal pneumococcal infections. It's also known as the "pneumo jab" or pneumonia vaccine.

Pneumococcal infections are caused by the bacterium Streptococcus pneumoniae and can lead to pneumonia, septicaemia (a kind of blood poisoning) and meningitis. At their worst, they can cause permanent brain damage, or even kill.
Who should have the pneumococcal vaccine?

A pneumococcal infection can affect anyone. However, some people are at higher risk of serious illness and can be given the pneumococcal vaccination on the NHS. These include:

babies
adults aged 65 or over
children and adults with certain long-term health conditions, such as a serious heart or kidney condition

FROM https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/pneumococcal-vaccination/
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:05 pm

Anyway, a jab against pneumonia only works if you get the type that the jab gives you immunity against. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:05 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Didge wrote:

Thank you for exaplining

You just said there is no jab for pneumonia, but there is.

Is there an effective preventive jab for pneumonia?

One word

Bullshit

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:06 pm

viral pneumonia is less deadly and somewhat rarer than pneumococcal pneumonia and is a syndrome rather than a specific disease (so is in fact a complication of having any one of a number of viruses...including flu)
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:06 pm

Lord Foul wrote:and didge ther IS an anti pneumonia jab

Pneumococcal vaccine

The pneumococcal vaccine protects against serious and potentially fatal pneumococcal infections. It's also known as the "pneumo jab" or pneumonia vaccine.

Pneumococcal infections are caused by the bacterium Streptococcus pneumoniae and can lead to pneumonia, septicaemia (a kind of blood poisoning) and meningitis. At their worst, they can cause permanent brain damage, or even kill.
Who should have the pneumococcal vaccine?

A pneumococcal infection can affect anyone. However, some people are at higher risk of serious illness and can be given the pneumococcal vaccination on the NHS. These include:

babies
   adults aged 65 or over
   children and adults with certain long-term health conditions, such as a serious heart or kidney condition

FROM https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/pneumococcal-vaccination/

Again I say, an effective jab for pneumonia

How effecrive is the above?

I suggest you and Rags, actually see how effective the above is?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:08 pm

Didge wrote:

Do you want to retract that last sentence now?

Colds, flu, and pneunomia aren't really similar. They share some symptoms but they're caused by different viruses, and in the case of pneumonia, it's often a bacterial infection. Don't forget the parainfluenza virus either - that can give someone pneumonia and also cold-like symptoms.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:08 pm

the pneumo jab will protect you aginst strep pneumonia, but not against viral pneumonia...for that you would need to vaccinate against the specific viral agent...

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:10 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Didge wrote:

Colds, flu, and pneunomia aren't really similar. They share some symptoms but they're caused by different viruses, and in the case of pneumonia, it's often a bacterial infection. Don't forget the parainfluenza virus either - that can give someone pneumonia and also cold-like symptoms.

No I do not want to detract, as they are all very similar

So if they share different symptoms, they are similar are they not?

Even the above is so bad trying to gogglre and understand something you have no idea on, now I am going to rip the shit out of you

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:11 pm

Lord Foul wrote:the pneumo jab will protect you aginst strep pneumonia, but not against viral pneumonia...for that you would need to vaccinate against the specific viral agent...

Exactly and why Rags has no idea what she is talking about

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:11 pm

from the same NHS web site

More than 90 different strains of the pneumococcal bacterium have been identified, although only 8 to 10 of them cause the most serious infections.

The childhood vaccine (PCV) protects against 13 strains of the pneumococcal bacterium, while the adult vaccine (PPV) protects against 23 strains.

The pneumococcal vaccine is thought to be around 50-70% effective at preventing pneumococcal disease.

Both the PPV and the PCV are inactivated or "killed" vaccines and don't contain any live organisms. They can't cause the disease against which they protect.

For someone in the "at risk" group I'd say thats better than nowt at all.........

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:13 pm

Didge...just because things share similar symptoms dont mean they ARE similar

I mean I could chop you leg off with an axe

or it could be chopped off in a motor accident....

the symptoms would be similar but they aint the same........
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:13 pm

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Even the above is so bad trying to gogglre and understand something you have no idea on, now I am going to rip the shit out of you

One doesn't normally end up in hospital with a cold though does one? The flu and pneumonia are more serious than a cold. Do you understand that different illnesses are caused by different viruses and/or bacteria?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:14 pm

Lord Foul wrote:Didge...just because things share similar symptoms dont mean they ARE similar

Exactly. It's like saying that all arthritis is the same.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:14 pm

Its some defense, but only protections of 13-20 between kids and adults out of 90?

Its why we should hold our hats off to those biological scientists mate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:15 pm

Lord Foul wrote:Didge...just because things share similar symptoms dont mean they ARE similar

Are you seriousl making that similarity on viruses?

based on colds and flu?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:17 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Didge wrote:

One doesn't normally end up in hospital with a cold though does one? The flu and pneumonia are more serious than a cold. Do you understand that different illnesses are caused by different viruses and/or bacteria?

Do you actually know the figures of people that dies each year of colds?

You seriously have no idea on this, but its good, you are actually learning from me and Victor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:17 pm

Having a cold or flu can make you more vulnerable to getting an secondary bacterial infection. This is why people should stay at home when they have a viral infection - and also to prevent them passing it to others.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:18 pm

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Do you actually know the figures of people that dies each year of colds?

You seriously have no idea on this, but its good, you are actually learning from me and Victor

They don't generally die of colds, they generally die of secondary infections or sepsis.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:19 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Having a cold or flu can make you more vulnerable to getting an secondary bacterial infection. This is why people should stay at home when they have a viral infection - and also to prevent them passing it to others.

That is the same with many viral infections, especially towards people that have weakned immune systems. Like peopel that are under going chemo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next