NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scientist's discovery of a "ghost black hole" hints at a universe that came before the one we live in

+3
eddie
veya_victaous
Ben Reilly
7 posters

Go down

Scientist's discovery of a "ghost black hole" hints at a universe that came before the one we live in Empty Scientist's discovery of a "ghost black hole" hints at a universe that came before the one we live in

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:08 am

It’s common knowledge that, because of the speed at which light travels, we can see things in space that aren’t even there anymore. If we peer at a distant galaxy we’re really only seeing what the objects within it looked like when the light itself was beaming in our direction. If the galaxy is a thousand light-years away, we’re seeing what the galaxy looked like a thousand years ago.

Now, researchers believe that they may be able to use a similar technique to search for black holes that don’t exist anymore. The only difference is that the black holes aren’t just from long ago, they’re from an entirely different version of the universe. Woah.

As Live Science reports, a research team comprised of scientists from Oxford University, the University of Warsaw, and the New York Maritime College, believe they have evidence that points to the leftovers of a black hole that existed in a universe that preceded the one we’re currently living in. However, rather than visible light, the black holes leave behind what is known as cosmic microwave background radiation, or (CMB).

The idea here is that even when a universe ends and a new one begins, the background radiation from decaying black holes of the previous universe remains. A theory such as this isn’t much good without some kind of concrete foundation of data to back it up, so the researchers began hunting for what they call “Hawking points.” Named for Stephen Hawking, Hawking points are areas where the researchers believe the leftover radiation from now-extinct black holes still exists.

https://bgr.com/2018/08/28/ghost-black-hole-hawking-points-cmb/

HOLY FUCKING SHIT
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Scientist's discovery of a "ghost black hole" hints at a universe that came before the one we live in Empty Re: Scientist's discovery of a "ghost black hole" hints at a universe that came before the one we live in

Post by veya_victaous Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:53 am

Scientist's discovery of a "ghost black hole" hints at a universe that came before the one we live in Ez6h4AZ
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Scientist's discovery of a "ghost black hole" hints at a universe that came before the one we live in Empty Re: Scientist's discovery of a "ghost black hole" hints at a universe that came before the one we live in

Post by eddie Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:06 pm

Space and the universe....messes with my head Scientist's discovery of a "ghost black hole" hints at a universe that came before the one we live in 1780941361
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:22 pm

Yes, it always ends up with no firmament, and inevitably something bigger...more infinite.

You end up saying: Oh fuck it, and roll over to go to sleep.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:38 pm

Smile

An alternative way of looking at those scientifikul-type things, rather then letting them do your head in   --  just tell yourself :

""There is no such thing as 'gravity' --

The Earth sucks  !!!
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:02 pm

eddie wrote:Space and the universe....messes with my head Scientist's discovery of a "ghost black hole" hints at a universe that came before the one we live in 1780941361

Me too....I used to tell my grandson there are more stars in the sky than grains of sand on earth (which is apparently true)....that used to give me brain ache trying to imagine it.
Even worse....concentrate on eternity, something going on for ever and ever...and ever, thats really brain numbing.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:07 pm

I'm sure there's an answer but how do we know under those circumstances that if we travel off to a planet we may have found that its still going to be there when we get there considering the distance and time.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:39 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:Space and the universe....messes with my head Scientist's discovery of a "ghost black hole" hints at a universe that came before the one we live in 1780941361

Me too....I used to tell my grandson there are more stars in the sky than grains of sand on earth (which is apparently true)....that used to give me brain ache trying to imagine it.
Even worse....concentrate on eternity, something going on for ever and ever...and ever, thats really brain numbing.

I have a thought exercise that helps me cope with eternity. So say you were in a spaceship, and you could travel as far as you wanted for as long as you wanted.

If you were to somehow find a wall reading "Universe Ends Here," you'd scoff, because you'd know there was something on the other side of that wall. Even if it was empty space.

When I think of it that way, it makes far less sense that there would be an end to space, and far more sense that it just keeps going.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:55 pm

Ben Cottonpickin' Reilly wrote:
Syl wrote:

I have a thought exercise that helps me cope with eternity. So say you were in a spaceship, and you could travel as far as you wanted for as long as you wanted.

If you were to somehow find a wall reading "Universe Ends Here," you'd scoff, because you'd know there was something on the other side of that wall. Even if it was empty space.

When I think of it that way, it makes far less sense that there would be an end to space, and far more sense that it just keeps going.

Unless, just the void ceased, and infinite solidity took over.  But that would be the same thing, abstractly speaking, by another name.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:03 pm

Like I said earlier....

Scientist's discovery of a "ghost black hole" hints at a universe that came before the one we live in 1780941361
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:25 am

Ben Cottonpickin' Reilly wrote:
Syl wrote:

what we call the universe is just as far as matter has spread, if you were going past the 'edge' you being matter would become the new 'edge'.  Wink

I don't know if it helps or not but I like to think of it as 'we do NOT live in the Universe, we are Part of the Universe'
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:35 am

Oh, how spiritual, Veya. I like it. Cool
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:51 am

eddie wrote:Oh, how spiritual, Veya. I like it. Cool

the sort of stuff in the OP (Quantum Physics) is the Basis of my Religion  Wink
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:38 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
eddie wrote:Oh, how spiritual, Veya. I like it. Cool

the sort of stuff in the OP (Quantum Physics) is the Basis of my Religion  Wink

Ah yes, I recall this now. Pretty interesting.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down