NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bill Gates Spends Entire First Day Back in Office Trying to Install Windows 8.1

4 posters

Go down

Bill Gates Spends Entire First Day Back in Office Trying to Install Windows 8.1 Empty Bill Gates Spends Entire First Day Back in Office Trying to Install Windows 8.1

Post by Lurker Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:52 am

REDMOND, WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Bill Gates’s first day at work in the newly created role of technology adviser got off to a rocky start yesterday as the Microsoft founder struggled for hours to install the Windows 8.1 upgrade.
The installation hit a snag early on, sources said, when Mr. Gates repeatedly received an error message informing him that his PC ran into a problem that it could not handle and needed to restart.
After failing to install the upgrade by lunchtime, Mr. Gates summoned the new Microsoft C.E.O. Satya Nadella, who attempted to help him with the installation, but with no success

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2014/02/gates-spends-entire-first-day-back-in-office-trying-to-install-windows-81.html
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Bill Gates Spends Entire First Day Back in Office Trying to Install Windows 8.1 Empty Re: Bill Gates Spends Entire First Day Back in Office Trying to Install Windows 8.1

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:54 am

Lurker wrote:
REDMOND, WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Bill Gates’s first day at work in the newly created role of technology adviser got off to a rocky start yesterday as the Microsoft founder struggled for hours to install the Windows 8.1 upgrade.
The installation hit a snag early on, sources said, when Mr. Gates repeatedly received an error message informing him that his PC ran into a problem that it could not handle and needed to restart.
After failing to install the upgrade by lunchtime, Mr. Gates summoned the new Microsoft C.E.O. Satya Nadella, who attempted to help him with the installation, but with no success

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2014/02/gates-spends-entire-first-day-back-in-office-trying-to-install-windows-81.html

Oh my God, that is classic. I expected the link to be The Onion or something.

://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Bill Gates Spends Entire First Day Back in Office Trying to Install Windows 8.1 Empty Re: Bill Gates Spends Entire First Day Back in Office Trying to Install Windows 8.1

Post by veya_victaous Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:43 am

Not a fan of either of the win8 or 8.1
too much like Apple not enough info or control given to the user I know this means that they can break it but it means that even if you know what your doing you cant.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:57 am

I bought a laptop not long after Windows 8 came out - installed Classic Shell immediately and now it's no different to Windows 7 - pretty good.

The 8.1 update went very smooth.

Can't grumble really.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:40 am

@andy
I was hoping for so much more with the touch interface  Sad  Sad  Sad  Sad 

I don't know why they didn't add a 'shift' key to the hardware that operated like a right click (hold the button down and where you press on screen is right click instead of left) seems so simple to me and then the whole touch interface would be backward compatible. Quite frankly if I only wanted one button (because I was brain damaged or something  Cool ) I'd buy an Apple.   Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad 

Apple will win the touch interface war just because all its stuff is backwards compatible because they have always used a one button mouse. 

I am talking more from a systems/apps designer perspective (I am fine with it at home but I would have loved to try some proper RTS games on touch screen  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad ), It will be ages until all the 3rd party programs work out how to make their stuff one click without cutting a lot of functionality.

We could have rolled out surfaces if they could run the educational software we wanted. But now we got teachers saying they want iPads which are a pain because Apple is as ass of a company to deal with and none of the stuff is that good (despite the advertising  Rolling Eyes ). But We cant offer anything better windows based.  Sad  Sad  Sad  Sad  as good but not better.  Neutral  Neutral  Neutral  (Microsoft suits the existing infrastructure better)
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:46 am

Ah, yeah ok.

I'm still very much a "compooter" type guy.

The rest of the family love their tablets but because i'm like greased-lightning over the keyboard, I like my keyboard and don't wanna let go.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:04 am

yeah don't get me wrong, I got a wireless and an old school clakky wired one on my work PC. (Logitech G510, i.e. top gaming keyboard on my gaming rig)

I actually don't own a touch screen device  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  But I have to use/play with them for work and am lucky enough to get to borrow them from vendors. I honestly haven't found one that I 'want/need' yet...
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:29 am

Lurker wrote:

Most people i know hate windows 8, I guess when touch screen is the norm it will be great but in the mean time its just not good.

Back to top Go down

Post by groomsy Fri May 16, 2014 2:09 am

The New Yorker is like The Onion really

8.1 wasnt hard at all to install here
groomsy
groomsy
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down