NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The TPP has to be stopped

4 posters

Go down

The TPP has to be stopped Empty The TPP has to be stopped

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:43 pm

From SumOfUs, and I know sum of you are also members.

It's a corporate lobbyist's wildest dream -- a huge global trade deal that would let corporations like Monsanto sue our governments if they passed laws to protect the environment or keep life-saving medicine affordable.

The Trans-Pacific Partnership has to be stopped.

This month, tens of thousands of American SumOfUs members and friends have called Congress to demand it rejects a bill to give President Obama "fast track" authority to sign the TPP -- and support is starting to fall away. But it's not enough.

In the US, corporate lobbyists are pushing hard for Congress to approve. Elsewhere, governments are facing no scrutiny as they get ready to sign away our democratic rights to make laws that protect the public interest. Unless we do more, we may lose this fight.

That's why our community is stepping up. This week, we're getting ready to launch a major effort to stop the TPP in its tracks -- and with your support, we're not going to stop fighting until we've won.

If enough of us can chip in just $1, we can launch the first steps of our campaign and start working together to stop the TPP and save our democracy.

We can't talk about all our plans yet, but we're already looking to:

Target key countries that can stop the TPP -- like Australia and Canada -- and make sure that citizens hear about the TPP before it's too late
Call out consumer companies who have access to the negotiations and are helping write the deal -- rights our elected representatives don't even have -- and demand they come clean on what they know
Organize constituents to contact their representatives -- to make sure the TPP is something that governments have to answer for
Work with lawyers to submit Freedom of Information requests for governments to come clean on the deal
Offer rewards for officials who are willing to do the right thing and let the public know what's in the TPP
Take out advertisements in key national media highlighting the threats the TPP poses to our democracies

The corporations behind the TPP know the public won't like what's in the deal. That's why the full contents are still secret -- only high-level government negotiators and the 600 corporate lobbyists have access.

But we know enough to know that the TPP has to be stopped -- and enough to know how we can stop it with your help.

The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) is called a trade deal, but it is really a corporate wish-list aimed at attacking everything from environmental protections to affordable medicines to internet freedoms. Worst, it gives corporations impunity from governments or citizens that want to reign in their power.

In fact, it is probably the most important international treaty you’ve never heard of. The TPP is being negotiated between the United States, Canada, Australia, Japan and other Pacific countries -- making it nearly global in scope.

There's lots wrong with the TPP, but the unaccountable systems it would set up to allow corporations to sue governments are one of the most frightening. If it is signed, future laws designed to protect consumers, our health, and our environment could be overturned in secret courts by corporations that claim the laws harm their profits -- and there is nothing we or our elected governments could do to stop them.

If you would like to help, and I think this is SO important, the link is

http://act.sumofus.org/go/3561?t=2&akid=3848.1305818.Y5DkeG

Back to top Go down

The TPP has to be stopped Empty Re: The TPP has to be stopped

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:47 pm

Similar things being done by the EU.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:51 pm

No similar, the same, it's world wide, that's why they are trying to fight it at source.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:55 pm

Sassy wrote:No similar, the same, it's world wide, that's why they are trying to fight it at source.  

I suggest people in the UK spend at least some of their energy on fighting it at EU level.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:02 pm

sphinx wrote:
Sassy wrote:No similar, the same, it's world wide, that's why they are trying to fight it at source.  

I suggest people in the UK spend at least some of their energy on fighting it at EU level.

Already being done, but where do you take a sucker of a plant off, at the top, or at the base. If they are cut off in the US, the EU part cannot continue.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:55 am

This really does have to be stopped in it's tracks, or even the tiny bit of democracy that we have left will take to the hills, never to be seen again.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:20 am

TPP is evil, worse than EU.

Who gets ALL 100% of the benifit from the EU? the TPP is only good for USA lobbyists and corporations.

it is bad for everyone else and it is being forced on us, I wish we didn't have such a cuntsack for a PM at the moment. I think Julia would have fought it.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:15 am

I think it's quite scarey Veya, all that influence and power and people might not even have know about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:21 am

Yeah, and shame on Obama for trying to fast-track this bullshit. I'm glad some of our Congress members are fighting it, though.

Interesting reading:

Congress is debating whether to give the president the authority to fast-track a massive free trade agreement -- the Trans-Pacific Partnership -- between the U.S., Canada, and 10 nations from the Asia-Pacific region. The nations involved in the talks account for nearly 40 percent of the world's GDP and 26 percent of the world's trade, but weekday evening television news broadcasts have largely ignored the topic.

http://mediamatters.org/research/2014/02/05/study-media-leave-viewers-in-the-dark-about-tra/197932
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:26 am

veya_victaous wrote:TPP is evil, worse than EU.

Who gets ALL 100% of the benifit from the EU? the TPP is only good for USA lobbyists and corporations.

it is bad for everyone else and it is being forced on us, I wish we didn't have such a cuntsack for a PM at the moment. I think Julia would have fought it.

Seeing as it is only one string the EU is busy trying to inflict on citizens I will continue to battle the EU.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:44 pm

what's the point of fighting it, if they want to do it they will do it..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:01 pm

heavenly father wrote:what's the point of fighting it, if they want to do it they will do it..

What was the point of fighting Hitler?

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:37 pm

we have no rights now it's all an illusion we are led like sheep to accept the scraps from the fat cats table.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:50 pm

heavenly father wrote:we have no rights now it's all an illusion we are led like sheep to accept the scraps from the fat cats table.

And you feel that's a good thing?? Why?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:49 pm

I agree it needs to be stopped, but how does a country where its people are divided go about stopping a Government that has been given a free reign to do as they please?

we have no rights now it's all an illusion we are led like sheep to accept the scraps from the fat cats table.

I understand what you are saying. But I don't give up hope that the people of this country will wake up to the fact neither side gives a damn about them, unite and take back those rights. But as it stands atm we as a people are so divided we do not have a prayer.  Rolling Eyes Seems we have forgotten what we were taught in school.. United we stand Divided we fall.. I am amazed at how simple the division was to master.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:18 am

Hotwired wrote:I agree it needs to be stopped, but how does a country where its people are divided go about stopping a Government that has been given a free reign to do as they please?

I understand what you are saying. But I don't give up hope that the people of this country will wake up to the fact neither side gives a damn about them, unite and take back those rights. But as it stands atm we as a people are so divided we do not have a prayer.  Rolling Eyes Seems we have forgotten what we were taught in school.. United we stand Divided we fall.. I am amazed at how simple the division was to master.

People are just too easy to manipulate. How many people think Obamacare includes death panels? How many people think Bush ordered the 9/11 attacks?

Most people would rather stagger through life guided by a handful of prejudices and rules of thumb than use their brains for anything besides their most immediate situations.

Then again, I may be unduly cynical.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:23 am

People are just too easy to manipulate.

I don't know if it is manipulation or they are so hell bent on their side being correct they are blind to what is going on around them. But then on the other hand, many people are easy to manipulate. Either way H Father is correct we are loosing our rights so fast we don't even realize they are gone. They are disguised as something good and needed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:14 am

Hotwired wrote:

People are just too easy to manipulate.

I don't know if it is manipulation or they are so hell bent on their side being correct they are blind to what is going on around them.  But then on the other hand, many people are easy to manipulate. Either way H Father is correct we are loosing our rights so fast we don't even realize they are gone. They are disguised as something good and needed.

Good point -- way too many people are so caught up in defending their side or their opinions that it becomes a matter of saving face when their side or their opinions are challenged. Bummer.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down