NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

After a Debacle, How California Became a Role Model on Measles

2 posters

Go down

After a Debacle, How California Became a Role Model on Measles Empty After a Debacle, How California Became a Role Model on Measles

Post by Guest Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:45 am

In December 2014 something unusual happened at Disneyland. People came to visit Mickey Mouse, and some of them left with measles. At least 159 people contracted the disease during an outbreak lasting several months. This is more than the typical number in a whole year in the United States.
The leading theory is that measles was introduced in Disneyland by a foreign tourist. That could happen anywhere. Medical experts generally agree that the fact that it took off was probably a result of California’s low vaccination rates, which in turn was a result of an inability to persuade a significant share of Californians that vaccines were important.

The episode made national news, but in the next few years, another development was striking but attracted less national attention: Because of a policy change, California was able to turn it around. Data from a county-by county analysis shows that in many schools with the lowest vaccination rates, there was an increase of 20 to 30 percentage points in the share of kindergartners vaccinated between 2014 and 2016. One law changed the behavior of impassioned resisters more effectively than a thousand public service announcements might have.

Continue reading by clicking the name of the source below.

SOURCE NEW YORK TIMES

Back to top Go down

After a Debacle, How California Became a Role Model on Measles Empty Re: After a Debacle, How California Became a Role Model on Measles

Post by Maddog Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:06 pm

Funny thing about Cali is that many of the areas with the lowest vaccination rates are also the most "educated". It's not just immigrants that caused the problem but the anti vaxers that should know better.  

The vaccination of children is a tough one for me.  All of my grown kids had them, but I'm not sure I can support using force to make anyone else get their kids vaccinated.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

After a Debacle, How California Became a Role Model on Measles Empty Re: After a Debacle, How California Became a Role Model on Measles

Post by JulesV Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:36 am

The pros & cons of vaccinating - a minefield!!

But one thing you can say for sure is that if you vaccinate your child, the possibility of ANYONE catching the disease from him/her is NIL. You can have a clear conscience about that, at least.

Unvaccinated kids are the ones who spread the virus.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:06 am

Maddog wrote:Funny thing about Cali is that many of the areas with the lowest vaccination rates are also the most "educated". It's not just immigrants that caused the problem but the anti vaxers that should know better.  

The vaccination of children is a tough one for me.  All of my grown kids had them, but I'm not sure I can support using force to make anyone else get their kids vaccinated.

Interesing that you say that and agree its the idiot anti-vaxers that cause this

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/anti-vaccine-activists-spark-a-states-worst-measles-outbreak-in-decades/2017/05/04/a1fac952-2f39-11e7-9dec-764dc781686f_story.html?utm_term=.0f5d2b863680

The reality is, parents are completely irresponsible, when they do not get their kid vaccinated.

The probolem I think is that these parents have never seen the reality of the mass number of deaths caused by the illnesses, we can now vaccinate against. If they did, they would not hesitate in having their children vaccinated. Its a no brainer anyway and as seen those irresponsble end up casuing outbreaks of the deseases.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:36 pm

Didge wrote:
Maddog wrote:Funny thing about Cali is that many of the areas with the lowest vaccination rates are also the most "educated". It's not just immigrants that caused the problem but the anti vaxers that should know better.  

Interesing that you say that and agree its the idiot anti-vaxers that cause this

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/anti-vaccine-activists-spark-a-states-worst-measles-outbreak-in-decades/2017/05/04/a1fac952-2f39-11e7-9dec-764dc781686f_story.html?utm_term=.0f5d2b863680

The reality is, parents are completely irresponsible, when they do not get their kid vaccinated.

The probolem I think is that these parents have never seen the reality of the mass number of deaths caused by the illnesses, we can now vaccinate against. If they did, they would not hesitate in having their children vaccinated. Its a no brainer anyway and as seen those irresponsble end up casuing outbreaks of the deseases.

And they would counter that you haven't seen the mass increases in autism that they think is attributed to vaccines. I think they are wrong, but all I'm going to do is tell that I think they are wrong, and let their conscience be their guide.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:17 am

Maddog wrote:
Didge wrote:

And they would counter that you haven't seen the mass increases in autism that they think is attributed to vaccines. I think they are wrong, but all I'm going to do is tell that I think they are wrong, and let their conscience be their guide.

And i would counter them again discrediting their claims easily and again stating they are placing many children at risk through their irresponsibility and ignorance.

This is the problem, too many people are gulible and easily led

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2017/01/10/the-facts-about-vaccines-autism-and-robert-f-kennedy-jr-s-conspiracy-theory/?tid=a_mcntx&utm_term=.a5b8b4dc14d1

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:32 am

Didge wrote:
Maddog wrote:

And i would counter them again discrediting their claims easily and again stating they are placing many children at risk through their irresponsibility and ignorance.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2017/01/10/the-facts-about-vaccines-autism-and-robert-f-kennedy-jr-s-conspiracy-theory/?tid=a_mcntx&utm_term=.a5b8b4dc14d1

I know they are wrong, or at least I'm sure as a non scientist can be. That's not the point. I'm not sure I want to be the one that shows up with a gun at their house and forces them to let me vaccinate their kid.

If I won't do it, I don't know if it's fair for me to expect someone else to do it.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:48 am

Maddog wrote:
Didge wrote:

I know they are wrong, or at least I'm sure as a non scientist can be. That's not the point. I'm not sure I want to be the one that shows up with a gun at their house and forces them to let me vaccinate their kid.

If I won't do it, I don't know if it's fair for me to expect someone else to do it.  

I know you are not defending them Maddog

The point is here though, why should they have the decision on vaccination, when it can and does effect many children?

We are talking about how people based on ignorance are placing other children and their own at risk.

So in this instance, I have no issue that the state takes control to ensure, less children end up illl or could die. If parents cannot be responsible, then the state should ensure that all children are protected from illnesses.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down