NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

plastic

+4
Miffs2
SEXY MAMA
Raggamuffin
nicko
8 posters

Go down

plastic Empty plastic

Post by nicko Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:52 am

Been watching a program about the amount of plastic in the sea, and what is washed up on shorelines. Is it not time a solution was found? Is it not possible to invent a plastic that is soluble after a certain time in Sea water?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

plastic Empty Re: plastic

Post by nicko Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:43 pm

I see no comments on my post, posters too interested in dissing Trump, calling each other names etc. Thought there might be a bit of interest on saving the Planet................oh well, get back to your childish insulting !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:47 pm

All plastic should be recyclable. Any that isn't should result in high taxes for the company using it, and any company found using unnecessary packaging should be fined. Anyone found not recycling their plastic when they have the means to do so should also be fined.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:58 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:All plastic should be recyclable. Any that isn't should result in high taxes for the company using it, and any company found using unnecessary packaging should be fined. Anyone found not recycling their plastic when they have the means to do so should also be fined.

Agree.

We should be doing more for our planet. I dread to think what will be left behind for our grandchildren!
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:01 pm

nicko wrote:Been watching a program about the amount of plastic in the sea,  and what is washed up on shorelines.   Is it not time a solution was found?    Is it not possible to invent a plastic that is soluble after a certain time in Sea water?

Sky have been doing a lot about this subject. The amount of plastic in the sea is terrifying. It kills marine and bird life and it's going into the food chain, small plastic pellets are being found in fish. The carrier bag charge is a start but we need to get much better at recycling .
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:02 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:All plastic should be recyclable. Any that isn't should result in high taxes for the company using it, and any company found using unnecessary packaging should be fined. Anyone found not recycling their plastic when they have the means to do so should also be fined.

Agree.

We should be doing more for our planet. I dread to think what will be left behind for our grandchildren!

It's the poor mammals and fish in the sea I'm thinking of. Why should they suffer because people can't be arsed to recycle?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:03 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:

Agree.

It's the poor mammals and fish in the sea I'm thinking of. Why should they suffer because people can't be arsed to recycle?

Exactly.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:03 pm

Miffs2 wrote:
nicko wrote:Been watching a program about the amount of plastic in the sea,  and what is washed up on shorelines.   Is it not time a solution was found?    Is it not possible to invent a plastic that is soluble after a certain time in Sea water?

Sky have been doing a lot about this subject. The amount of plastic in the sea is terrifying. It kills marine and bird life and it's going into the food chain, small plastic pellets are being found in fish. The carrier bag charge is a start but we need to get much better at recycling .

You can recycle carrier bags I think. I can't believe people moan about having to pay for them. Mind you, most people do take their own these days - about time too.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:04 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Miffs2 wrote:

You can recycle carrier bags I think. I can't believe people moan about having to pay for them. Mind you, most people do take their own these days - about time too.

Aldi bags are the best. I always have them in the boot
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:15 pm

Miffs2 wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I've never got one from Aldi - I usually take my own there. I'm quite proud of myself for remembering to do that. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:17 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Miffs2 wrote:

I've never got one from Aldi - I usually take my own there. I'm quite proud of myself for remembering to do that. Laughing

I'm better than I was at remembering to take them than I used to be at one time I had about 15 Aldi bags!
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:20 pm

What about all those coffee pods? Some of them can't be put in the recycling, and I bet loads of people just chuck them in the bin anyway. It's just another waste of packaging IMO.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:22 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:What about all those coffee pods? Some of them can't be put in the recycling, and I bet loads of people just chuck them in the bin anyway. It's just another waste of packaging IMO.

Best to used cloth bags imo

SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:40 pm

nicko wrote:
Been watching a program about the amount of plastic in the sea,  and what is washed up on shorelines.   Is it not time a solution was found?    Is it not possible to invent a plastic that is soluble after a certain time in Sea water?

Smile

I don't really like the idea of either "soluble" or decomposable plastics,  unless they were being broken right down into either some inert or base organic compounds...

Otherwise, all you would be doing is hiding the pollution --  plastic 'microparticles would still be there in the water'..

While plastics made from cellulose (or a step up, from fibres like hemp or cotton..), can be made to be totally 'bio-degradable', you then have the problems of having a plastic that is durable enough to lasr long enough to fulfil its original design purpose.

And, of course, the manufacturing process itself needs to relatively 'cleaner' -- no good having a more 'environmentally' friendly product if even more pollution is created during manufacture..

Probably the better route is to prevent plastics (and cigarette butts), from entering the water in the first place :

education
Anti-littering fines and campaigns
Deposits on plastic bottles
Phasing out "single use" plastic bags
Reducing the amount of unnecessary packaging
More recycling facilities.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:30 pm

Agreed Wolfie, deposits on bottles would help a bit, but only if it was an excessive amount. I remember when Glass pop bottles had a 2p return on them but they still got thrown away. I used to make a few bob finding them under bushes, in peoples front gardens ect. I still hope the scientists can find a way to make all plastic degradable without causing harm to wildlife !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:32 pm

Republicans don't believe in protecting the environment. They believe that companies should be free to do anything they want. The planet be damned.
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:38 pm

We recycle here as much as possible but our city doesn’t accept all types of plastics or all types of cardboard so we save them till we can get to a bigger recycling center. A lot of rural communities here do not have even a trash service so they burn everything which isn’t good either for a lot of reasons but these folks can’t afford to take it to the waste center and pay a charge. So it’s either burned or left lying around.

Last year for a family wedding we attended, both the juniors bought suits that had been made from recycled plastics. Still wearing them. Good value and recycling at its best.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:46 pm

Great idea, OP.
But the product would no longer be plastic in its true sense, it would be a different chemical structure .... and the process of manufacturing it might take as great a toll on the environment as plastic disposal does. 

And the energy used up in producing it might be far more than that used in producing plastic.

hills / roundabouts ...  plastic 2190311264

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down