NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The old Christmas song 'Baby its cold outside' implies sexual harassment, even date rape,

+6
Raggamuffin
Fuzzy Zack
Original Quill
Syl
magica
eddie
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The old Christmas song 'Baby its cold outside' implies sexual harassment, even date rape, Empty The old Christmas song 'Baby its cold outside' implies sexual harassment, even date rape,

Post by Syl Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:40 pm

A woman chorister says she is not sure she can sing the old classic song penned in 1944 because of the lyrics.
She posted her dilemma on Mumsnet and asked for advice. Rolling Eyes

Has the world gone completely mad? Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The old Christmas song 'Baby its cold outside' implies sexual harassment, even date rape, Empty Re: The old Christmas song 'Baby its cold outside' implies sexual harassment, even date rape,

Post by Syl Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:46 pm

Anything if analysed enough can seem suspicious I suppose. Rolling Eyes

https://www.vox.com/identities/2016/12/19/13885552/baby-its-cold-outside-feminist-date-rape-romantic

"Frank Loesser’s 1944 “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” has been a beloved Christmas-song staple for decades, covered by legendary pairings from Johnny Mercer and Margaret Whiting in 1949 to Idina Menzel and Michael Bublé in 2014.
When you first hear it, the song seems like a cute, flirty call-and-response duet between a man and his lady friend who are debating whether she should stay the night. On the one hand, what would her parents or the neighbors think? On the other hand, it’s just so cold outside. The ending is ambiguous, but it’s implied that she decides to stay after all, keeping them both warm on a cold winter’s night.
But when you listen closer, the song’s lyrics also seem, well ... a little rapey. The guy ignores his date’s protests and badgers her to stay, which feels a lot like sexual coercion. At one point the woman asks, “Say, what’s in this drink?” — which is pretty alarming to a modern audience that understands how roofies work. The original score even lists the man’s part as “Wolf” and the woman’s part as “Mouse,” making the predator/prey dynamic creepily explicit."

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The old Christmas song 'Baby its cold outside' implies sexual harassment, even date rape, Empty Re: The old Christmas song 'Baby its cold outside' implies sexual harassment, even date rape,

Post by Syl Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:58 pm

What about the old favourite Christmas song "Santa baby"?? Shocked

A prostitute screwing an old man for his money...using sex as a bargaining tool in return for cars and diamonds...bloody disgusting. snobby

And does anyone not realise the many songs encouraging a strange man to enter the house unsupervised in the dead of night where children are asleep is asking for trouble. Evil or Very Mad
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:15 pm

I'm sick of these pc nutters who find something in everything. I've never thought for one second that song was anything more than a couple flirting and having fun.

I'm surprised Christmas isn't cancelled yet, someone will say it, pft Rolling Eyes
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:19 pm

magica wrote:I'm sick of these pc nutters who find something in everything.  I've never thought for one second that song was anything more than a couple flirting and having fun.

I'm surprised Christmas isn't cancelled yet, someone will say it, pft Rolling Eyes

Killjoys....and from what I have heard about Mumsnet no doubt she will get lots of support.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:21 pm

Stupid eh Syl
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:40 pm

Yep...off to decorate my fireplace. It takes ages. Sometimes I wish I had planned a small fireplace instead of a bloody 10 foot long one.
I wouldn't mind we cant even have a real fire there cos there is no chimney.

Laters. x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:42 pm

I honestly think they just go looking for things to find wrong . Made me laugh though that .

lol!

She needs to get a life lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:34 pm

Its pc gone mad....people see wrong in everything.
Sexual harassment is certainly not what it used to be...makes me long for the good old days. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:39 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m3JfmExzsQ

Its a great song

Ladies, if some people want to be ruled by idocy. Then why get annoyed.

Just blast out the song, to show how idiotic they are being

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:40 pm

Didge wrote:

Its a great song

Laughing

Quite right Didge....sod em. Cool
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:54 pm

Yeah they even tried to take the maggots word out of Fairy tale of New York. A word which no one thought about.

They must sit in their tiny offices looking for things to ban, change.

magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:57 pm

Wow. Some of these mum's on mumsnet really need a good old sesh with their vibrators in the middle of the day then a sausage and brown sauce sandwich this will sort them right out and let out some of that pent up angst.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:01 pm

magica wrote:Yeah they even tried to take the maggots word out of Fairy tale of New York.  A word which no one thought about.

They already took 'faggot' out in other recordings.
I saw Ed Sheeran duet with someone singing this and they replaced the word faggot with blagger.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:05 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:

Its a great song

Laughing

Quite right Didge....sod em. Cool

Indeed Syl

The reailty is, that these people need attention

Dont fuel it, just instead properly piss them off, by playing the song, over and over again

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:07 pm

They will have palpitations if they see the Tom Jones/Cerys Mathews video. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:08 pm

Syl wrote:They will have palpitations if they see the Tom Jones/Cerys Mathews video. Razz

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:09 pm

There's some truth to it. Imagine Harvey Weinstein singing Baby it's Cold Outside.

OK, now he's just come out of the bathroom, naked under an untied bathrobe, with a huge erection...

The old Christmas song 'Baby its cold outside' implies sexual harassment, even date rape, Cd6752204f62f6292a76408acf616453

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:11 pm

Original Quill wrote:There's some truth to it.  Imagine Harvey Weinstein singing Baby it's Cold Outside.

OK, now he's just come out of the bathroom, naked under an untied bathrobe, with a huge erection...

The old Christmas song 'Baby its cold outside' implies sexual harassment, even date rape, Cd6752204f62f6292a76408acf616453

Well that is really warped Quill

So now, you are saying we should ditch any song, based on who sings it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:12 pm

Original Quill wrote:There's some truth to it.  Imagine Harvey Weinstein singing Baby it's Cold Outside.

You have a good imagination Quill. Wink

If a creep like Weinstein sang twinkle twinkle little star it would sound smutty....specially if he had an erection.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:19 pm

Syl wrote:

If a creep like Weinstein sang twinkle twinkle little star it would sound smutty....specially if he had an erection.

The old Christmas song 'Baby its cold outside' implies sexual harassment, even date rape, 1780941361
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:31 pm

magica wrote:
Syl wrote:

The old Christmas song 'Baby its cold outside' implies sexual harassment, even date rape, 1780941361

I'm simply trying to see what Quill is seeing ....its a bit too disturbing though so I'll stop right now.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:34 pm

Syl wrote:

Syl understands. Laughing  I'm just trying to put things into proper context, so as to see all sides.  I mean, it's not just pc...Harvey Weinstein cast a new a new pale on everything.

Last edited by Original Quill on Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:36 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

Syl understands.  I'm just trying to put things into proper context, so as to see all sides.  I mean, it's not just pc...Harvey Weinstein cast a new a new pale on everything.

To then make everyone hate every Christmas song?

The point still stands

Is how someone sings a song, now make it censured?

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:41 pm

Didge wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Syl understands.  I'm just trying to put things into proper context, so as to see all sides.  I mean, it's not just pc...Harvey Weinstein cast a new a new pale on everything.

The point still stands

Just be sure not to be walking out of a bathroom, naked, while singing it. Shocked

Razz

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:44 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Didge wrote:

The point still stands

Just be sure not to be walking out of a bathroom, naked, while singing it.  Shocked

Razz

So naturism, is also now a crime to you?

Based on your reasoning here.??

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:04 pm

Didge wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Just be sure not to be walking out of a bathroom, naked, while singing it.  Shocked

Razz

There's a time and a place for everything. But I do think it is narrowing, given the current wave of events.

How do you feel about it, didge?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:27 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Didge wrote:

There's a time and a place for everything.  But I do think it is narrowing, given the current wave of events.

How do you feel about it, didge?

Live and let live is my motto, as long as its not enforced.

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:10 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:We’re living in a sad society where men who even look at women as sexual objects is classified as “rape”

Usually by some dumb, feminazi who looks like a homeless dude.

Indeed its very wrong, but what is also wrong is how religions teach women as being subservant.

The Conservative forms of judaism, Christianity and Islam, are the worst for this

How about you champion the rights of women in the Islamic world, before you even make a point on this?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:41 pm

Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer is a dreadful song - the message in it is awful.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:51 pm

Like I said, the message is awful.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:52 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Like I said, the message is awful.

Maybe this will help?

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:01 am

cyclops

Those lonely mums getting all p/c and letting their imaginations run wild...

Reading the weirdest subliminal messages into even the most innocent songs and images..  

Maybe they need to grab their smartphones, start taking a few more selfies, and post them up
onto their lunatic blogsite, instead  ?
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:11 pm

I saw Mama kissing Santa Clause underneath the mistletoe last night.

Now who's to say it was her husband? It could have been her lover sneaking in whilst the husband was out grafting to put food on the table.

The whole idea of men dressing up to trick children is a bit dodgy anyway....surely its' time it was stopped. santa

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:14 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer is a dreadful song - the message in it is awful.

True, it could encourage name calling and bullying to anyone who looks different or stands out for any reason.

BAN IT. Twisted Evil
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:17 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer is a dreadful song - the message in it is awful.

True, it could encourage name calling and bullying to anyone who looks different or stands out for any reason.

BAN IT. Twisted Evil

And then as soon as the victim becomes famous, they all want to know him. He should have told them to get lost!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:23 pm

Syl wrote:

BAN IT. Twisted Evil

I love your humour Syl....x

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:35 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

BAN IT. Twisted Evil

And then as soon as the victim becomes famous, they all want to know him. He should have told them to get lost!

I know...I hate sycophants...even if they are reindeers. rendeer
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:37 pm

Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:

BAN IT. Twisted Evil

Laughing

Laughing

Off out to frown at some more Christmas tunes which will probably be playing in every shop, café, shopping mall for the next few days.
Laters. x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:53 pm

Has any been playing Whamageddon?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/lifehacker.com/win-this-game-by-never-hearing-whams-last-christmas-1820983808/amp

I finally got caught yesterday in the grocery store. I didn’t even notice at first and started humming along. On the second verse I stopped mid-aisle and shouted “well bugger that’s me out”. Mr. C and a gentleman looked at me like I was bonkers, but another lady started giggling and said “you got this far? I was out December 1st” so we had a good giggle.

If it had been Band Aid, I would have been out on November 26th!
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:12 pm

I think I probably lost this game in September. That's when the Christmas songs started filtering through in garden centres and shopping mals.

The good news is if anyone is planning an early year holiday, lots of spring/summer clothes are now in the shops.fiesta

I expect to see Easter eggs on sale very soon.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:20 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:

Laughing

Laughing

Off out to frown at some more Christmas tunes which will probably be playing in every shop, café, shopping mall for the next few days.
Laters. x

Hope you had a good day and got into the festive mood when out Syl

Just for you

x

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Thaks Didge....I love that song, I had quite a girl crush on Ronnie Ronette when I was about 12....I strived to get my hair as high as hers was. Laughing

The old Christmas song 'Baby its cold outside' implies sexual harassment, even date rape, F32e29b429919725b6af4d4b466d2065--ronnie-spector-the-ronettes

We had a lovely day. Grandson is home from uni so we shopped then went to Java to eat and share a bottle of Prosecco.
Odd to share a bottle of wine with grandson, but he is 20 so its OK. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:43 pm

Glad you had a lovely day with the family Syl  x  

That must have been fun having a drink together.

Passing on your wisdom. As drink can allow for far more interesting and personal conversations. People are then more open. No doubt, you warned him off many women... Laughing

I love "The Ronettes"

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:53 pm

Syl wrote:I think I probably lost this game in September. That's when the Christmas songs started filtering through in garden centres and shopping mals.

The good news is if anyone is planning an early year holiday, lots of spring/summer clothes are now in the shops.fiesta

I expect to see Easter eggs on sale very soon.  

Lol.

Since Halloween and Thanksgiving/Black Friday are such big holidays here it’s usually Black Friday that the chaos of Christmas and Hanukkah start. One minute your putting on your comfy trousers after eating your third turkey/stuffing/mash potato/gravy sandwich and then boom, candy canes and miniature chocolates everywhere!
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:49 pm

Syl wrote:A woman chorister says she is not sure she can sing the old classic song penned in 1944 because of the lyrics.

Not entirely mad. It's just that madness has gone from being tolerated to celebrated.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:10 am

Syl wrote:
magica wrote:Yeah they even tried to take the maggots word out of Fairy tale of New York.  A word which no one thought about.

They already took 'faggot' out in other recordings.
I saw Ed Sheeran duet with someone singing this and they replaced the word faggot with blagger.

While I agree the woman in the OP is ridiculous, and censoring Fairytale of New York is also too extreme, I think Sheeran and others changing that word to something else is totally reasonable- these days it really might not feel to nice to say that word for some people so why not alter it.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:06 pm

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:A woman chorister says she is not sure she can sing the old classic song penned in 1944 because of the lyrics.

Not entirely mad. It's just that madness has gone from being tolerated to celebrated.  

Yep...encouraged and celebrated...it's pc madness.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next