NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fairytale of New York revealed as the nation's favourite festive song because it's a realistic representation of what Christmas is ACTUALLY like (so do YOU agree?)

+2
Raggamuffin
Syl
6 posters

Go down

Fairytale of New York revealed as the nation's favourite festive song because it's a realistic representation of what Christmas is ACTUALLY like (so do YOU agree?)   Empty Fairytale of New York revealed as the nation's favourite festive song because it's a realistic representation of what Christmas is ACTUALLY like (so do YOU agree?)

Post by Guest Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:53 pm

[*]The 1987 Christmas song is still a huge hit with families across the nation 
[*]Experts say it's because lyrics are an accurate reflection of a British Christmas 
[*]The drinking, swearing and bickering are strong themes of the festive season 
[*]Fairytale of New York was beaten to number one in 80s by The Pet Shop Boys

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5114259/Fairytail-New-York-UKs-favourite-Christmas-tune.html#ixzz4zSmEvgZw 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

If this version had been around, it would have been number one

Back to top Go down

Fairytale of New York revealed as the nation's favourite festive song because it's a realistic representation of what Christmas is ACTUALLY like (so do YOU agree?)   Empty Re: Fairytale of New York revealed as the nation's favourite festive song because it's a realistic representation of what Christmas is ACTUALLY like (so do YOU agree?)

Post by Syl Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:27 pm

I don't think anyone will ever make a better version than the original Didge.

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Fairytale of New York revealed as the nation's favourite festive song because it's a realistic representation of what Christmas is ACTUALLY like (so do YOU agree?)   Empty Re: Fairytale of New York revealed as the nation's favourite festive song because it's a realistic representation of what Christmas is ACTUALLY like (so do YOU agree?)

Post by Syl Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:49 pm

Blimey....that was easy. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:52 pm

Do I think Christmas is actually like that?? Thankfully not in my house.

I do think Christmas can bring all the years niggles to the fore though....spending time with in laws you dont get on with, being in each others company for too long, too much drink, overspending, catching your OH snogging under the mistletoe with someone you cant stand....all those little irks can build up I suppose. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:17 pm

I never understood that song anyway.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:23 pm

I love this Christmas song too...it makes me feel sad though, and even sadder now George Michael is no longer with us.

Its such a shame that  he wrote a couple of Christmas hits then died himself on Christmas day. Sad

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:22 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I never understood that song anyway.

Obviously from the perspective of two old druggie drunks. Fits Shane MacGowan to a tee.   McGowan was, incidentally, born on Christmas day.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:26 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I never understood that song anyway.

Obviously from the perspective of two old druggie drunks. Fits Shane MacGowan to a tee.   McGowan was, incidentally, born on Christmas day.

Well yes, but I still don't know what it's on about. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:40 pm

Rags its about a man who's drunk says how he wanted to give his wife everything, but booze got him. She was a druggie.

They sing about when they were young, and what they wanted in the future, but both got a future they didn't see when young. A druggie and a drunk.

I love this song one of my favourites with Drummer Boy and I believe in Father Christmas by Greg Lake.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:59 pm

Too much family time, too much booze, too much food, and bugger all on TV unless it’s a repeat of The Morecombe & Wise show, the Two Ronnie’s or Only Fools & Horses. Bound to be arguing Laughing

Should be renamed Fairytale of The UK.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:02 pm

Magica, you got it right !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:38 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Well yes, but I still don't know what it's on about. Laughing

Drunks and druggies rarely make sense.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:39 pm

Cass wrote:Too much family time, too much booze, too much food, and bugger all on TV unless it’s a repeat of The Morecombe & Wise show, the Two Ronnie’s or Only Fools & Horses. Bound to be arguing  Laughing

I've just subscribed to Netflix again for the Xmas period.   It'll keep us going for a while.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:40 pm

magica wrote:Rags its about a man who's drunk says how he wanted to give his wife everything, but booze got him.  She was a druggie.

They sing about when they were young, and what they wanted in the future,  but both got a future they didn't see when young.  A druggie and a drunk.

I love this song one of my favourites with Drummer Boy and I believe in Father Christmas by Greg Lake.

Oh right - thanks Mags. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:18 pm

Fairytale of New York revealed as the nation's favourite festive song because it's a realistic representation of what Christmas is ACTUALLY like (so do YOU agree?)   2385359624 Rags lol
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:37 pm

Syl wrote:Blimey....that was easy. Razz

Easy, its based on taste and subjctive. In other words, its not even a debate.

Laughing

Well its now a thread to post your fav Christmas songs

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:05 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Cass wrote:Too much family time, too much booze, too much food, and bugger all on TV unless it’s a repeat of The Morecombe & Wise show, the Two Ronnie’s or Only Fools & Horses. Bound to be arguing  Laughing

I've just subscribed to Netflix again for the Xmas period.   It'll keep us going for a while.

Lol. We love Netflix. Nice to binge watch or go back to some favorites.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down