NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

shot dead

+6
'Wolfie
magica
The Devil, You Know
Syl
Andy
nicko
10 posters

Go down

shot dead Empty shot dead

Post by nicko Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:48 pm

About a week ago a Lynx escaped from it's pen in a zoo, last evening it was shot dead under orders from a Police Superintendent. He said "it was getting close to an populated area and we can't take any chances". In my opinion his force had been looking for it for a week, and he decided we can't afford to waste any more time on it, just shoot it.

Why was it not darted? it was hit with a bullet, why not a dart? Callous bastard.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

shot dead Empty Re: shot dead

Post by Andy Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:51 pm

Darts are nowhere near as accurate as a bullet very low velocity.
. Unless the vet was within 30 yards and had an unimpeded shot, there was a high chance of missing.
Such a shame too, as it was a beautiful creature and living it's dream.
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:54 pm

I heard this on the news, its so sad, I think every effort should have been made to capture it alive, it hadn't hurt anyone. Sad
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:55 pm

yet there is talk of re releasing wolves into the scottish highlands.

personally I would like to see a few lions released as well. It would make rambling far more interesting and an extreme sport.
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:05 pm

I wish Zoos closed down. In todays day and age, all animals should be free, not imprisoned behind bars!
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:01 pm

cat

Why are those particular police such a bunch of 'snowflake' pansies ?

Scared of a little puddy tat ?

God help them if they ever had some rabid wild dogs in their neighbourhood..

Or some of these :        shot dead 3583224271       shot dead 3583224271       shot dead 3583224271

tongue
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:31 pm

The Devil, You Know wrote:yet there is talk of re releasing wolves into the scottish highlands.

personally I would like to see a few lions released as well. It would make rambling far more interesting and an extreme sport.

Were lions indigenous to Scotland? I know they are in the southwest...Arizona has tons of them. Our dogs would 'tree' them at our home in the Tucson Mountains. And lately, Jaguars have returned to the Santa Rita Mountains south of Tucson. Magnificent animals.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:44 pm

Original Quill wrote:
The Devil, You Know wrote:yet there is talk of re releasing wolves into the scottish highlands.

Were lions indigenous to Scotland?  I know they are in the southwest...Arizona has tons of them.  Our dogs would 'tree' them at our home in the Tucson Mountains.  And lately, Jaguars have returned to the Santa Rita Mountains south of Tucson.  Magnificent animals.
yes at one time lions were common throughout parts of europe. Bears also lived in britain
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:46 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:cat

Or some of these :        shot dead 3583224271       shot dead 3583224271       shot dead 3583224271

tongue
whilst not exactly a tiger, the lynx would be capable of badly mauling a person, even killing them. Whether it would or not would, I imagine depend on how hungry it was or if it was cornered.
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:50 pm

magica wrote:I wish Zoos closed down.  In todays day and age, all animals should be free, not imprisoned behind bars!
many endangered species exist today entirely because of zoo's. there are more tigers in private hands in america than in the wild. There is a species of snail that exists now only at bristol zoo where they have a breeding program. The lack of understanding of what most zoo's do is staggering.
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:51 pm

Syl wrote:I heard this on the news, its so sad, I think every effort should have been made to capture it alive, it hadn't hurt anyone. Sad
they had been trying to catch it since it escaped. there are pictures of it standing next to one of the traps set for it.
But the police are hard pressed these days and officers are needed to police hurty words on twitter.
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:34 pm

The Devil, You Know wrote:
Syl wrote:I heard this on the news, its so sad, I think every effort should have been made to capture it alive, it hadn't hurt anyone. Sad
they had been trying to catch it since it escaped. there are pictures of it standing next to one of the traps set for it.
But the police are hard pressed these days and officers are needed to police hurty words on twitter.

shot dead _98598669_lynx

Its tragic...there must have been some way to capture her, dropping a net over her, and sedating her could have worked.

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:50 pm

Syl wrote:

shot dead _98598669_lynx

Its tragic...there must have been some way to capture her, dropping a net over her, and sedating her could have worked.

to do that you have to get close enough. it did not fall for the meat in the trap ploy, do you think it is going to let some blokes creep up and throw a net over it. They do have rather good senses and will run away whenever they can.
to dart it you need to be fairly close. they have been trying for some time to catch it, I am sure the darting option came up.

The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:30 pm

Syl wrote:

shot dead _98598669_lynx

to do that you have to get close enough. it did not fall for the meat in the trap ploy, do you think it is going to let some blokes creep up and throw a net over it. They do have rather good senses and will run away whenever they can.
to dart it you need to be fairly close. they have been trying for some time to catch it, I am sure the darting option came up.

So then they could have sedated the meat, left it in the open...then thrown the net when she was sedated enough.

They had enough time to think of ways to capture her and take her back unharmed.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:33 pm

magica wrote:I wish Zoos closed down.  In todays day and age, all animals should be free, not imprisoned behind bars!

Agree.

I don’t visit Zoos.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:10 pm

Zoo's are good for breeding endangered species,in my opinion that's all !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:49 pm

Basketball

There are zoos, and then there are "zoos"...

Many are well run, and involved in breeding, research and conservation projects --  without them,  many more species would already be extinct..

While it's all very well to dream of letting all animals "run free", that won't happen as long as humankind is overpopulating and mismanaging this planet --  there simply aren't enough "wild places" left to release caged animals into..

And then there are places like Denmark  --  some lazy-arsed societies simply shouldn't have zoos.

Even worse are those smalln and nasty, under-funded and understaffed "tourist trap" types, not unique or confined to any one country, basically set up to maximise returns to their 'owners' with no regard to the animals' welfare..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:06 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:cat

tongue
whilst not exactly a tiger, the lynx would be capable of badly mauling a person, even killing them. Whether it would or not would, I imagine depend on how hungry it was or if it was cornered.

AND?
whopptiy fuck such is life Snowflake tongue tongue tongue tongue
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:09 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Basketball

There are zoos, and then there are "zoos"...

Many are well run, and involved in breeding, research and conservation projects --  without them,  many more species would already be extinct..

While it's all very well to dream of letting all animals "run free", that won't happen as long as humankind is overpopulating and mismanaging this planet --  there simply aren't enough "wild places" left to release caged animals into..

And then there are places like Denmark  --  some lazy-arsed societies simply shouldn't have zoos.

Even worse are those smalln and nasty, under-funded and understaffed "tourist trap" types, not unique or confined to any one country, basically set up to maximise returns to their 'owners' with no regard to the animals' welfare..

yeah, Cage Zoos are terrible and should be banned but modern zoos don't keep animals in cages particularly and Open plain zoos are the last refuge for some species.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:44 am

nicko wrote:Zoo's are good for breeding endangered species,in  my opinion that's all !

We have a major internationally acclaimed zoo not too far from where I live and I know for certain that they do a tremendous amount of valuable and scientific research and conservation work that goes largely unannounced, and which would never be funded by national governments.

My late wife became heavily involved in aviculture after leaving farming and was an acknowledged expert on avian genetics and the breeding and hand-rearing of the larger species of parrots and parrot-like birds, some of which are classified as endangered and are at serious risk of extinction in the wild.

Zoo staff sought her advice and help on a number of occasions, all of which she gave voluntarily.

I know of one particular rare colour mutation of a small variety of parakeet that would probably exist nowhere in the world were it not for her help.

The problem is, Nicko, that the work of such responsible zoos can exist only by opening them to the public in order to fund research and breeding programmes that can last for years.

By all means shut down badly run zoos where the welfare of animals is neglected, but they should not all be tarred by the same brush.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:10 am

That will be Marwell. Know it well. Had a zoo season ticket which took me to Colchester, chester, Bristol, Marwell, Paignton , Edinburgh zoos and the Highland Wildlife park. All in one year!
My zoologist daughter loved it.
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:27 pm

You are correct Fred, what I hate to see is an Animal pacing up and down in a cage, witch is what happens in the smaller Zoo's. If Animals have to be held in captivity I suppose the big Animal Parks are a good step forward.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down