NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British electrician is locked up in Dubai jail for 'public indecency' after brushing past a man in a bar... days after a Scottish father was jailed for unwittingly using a fake £20 note

+6
Miffs2
magica
eddie
nicko
Syl
HoratioTarr
10 posters

Go down

British electrician is locked up in Dubai jail for 'public indecency' after brushing past a man in a bar... days after a Scottish father was jailed for unwittingly using a fake £20 note Empty British electrician is locked up in Dubai jail for 'public indecency' after brushing past a man in a bar... days after a Scottish father was jailed for unwittingly using a fake £20 note

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:54 pm

A British electrician is facing up to three years in a Dubai jail after brushing an Arab man on the hip with his hand.
Jamie Harron, 27, made light contact with a Jordanian man to avoid spilling his drink while moving through the crowded Rock Bottom Bar on a night out.
He was arrested for public indecency and then sentenced to 30 days in jail after he missed his hearing due to a mix up over dates.
Now he faces being arrested and jailed for up to three years when he turns up to his rescheduled hearing on Sunday.
His solicitor working with NGO Detained in Dubai said Mr Harron was now 'under immense pressure and stress'.
It comes just days after Edinburgh plasterer Billy Barclay, 31, was released after being held for trying to swap a £20 note, which he did not know was forged, at a bureau de change in Dubai.
On the night of the incident Mr Harron, from Stirling, had been having a drink at the with friends at a popular venue for young people in the Tecom area of Dubai.
Mr Harron and friend had just bought their first drink when they noticed a Jordanian man who was looking over at them from the edge of the dance floor in a 'confrontational' manner.
They decided to move to avoid any aggravation, but Mr Harron had to walk past the man, and as he passed, he placed his hand on the right hand side of the top of the man's hip to ensure that when passing they didn't bump and spill drinks 'in a move familiar to most UK patrons of crowded pubs'.
He said there was no intention to upset the man in any way. The man said nothing and didn't show any reaction.
But once Mr Harron and his friend had sat at a new table, they looked over to see the man was now shouting and swinging his arms around, 'clearly agitated'. Mr Harron asked his friend if he thought the man might be shouting at them.

Unsure, but not wanting problems, the British pair moved to another table, even further away.
After the incident was seemingly over, Mr Harron and his friend relaxed for another 20-30 minutes chatting when suddenly police appeared outside.
The man went out to meet them, and he began animatedly talking with them, pointing at Mr Harron, who got up and went to see what the problem was.
The man, his friends and the police were all speaking in Arabic, the accuser occasionally shouting in English, 'He's been drinking, and he touched me improperly, I will get you deported, do you know who I am?'
The police asked Mr Harron to apologise which he 'gladly did'. But his accused was 'not mollified' and demanded police arrest him.
After days in Al Barsha prison, where he was not allowed to wash himself or brush his teeth, prosecutors told Mr Harron he was charged with drinking alcohol and 'public indecency.'

He was left in a foul smelling cell with another eight nationalities sleeping on the floor with one 'revolting' mattress between them.
When he was released to stay with friends his passport was seized by police.
He failed to turn up to his hearing after the court moved the date without telling him or his lawyer which means he is now facing a further 30 days' detention.
He has already spent over £30,000 in expenses and legal fees. His entire savings are gone, his company has sacked him, and when his case is eventually heard he faces further jail time and a hefty fine.
Detained in Dubai said Mr Harron had been to Dubai many times on holiday and 'knows and respects' the country's laws.
Detained in Dubai said: 'Jamie denies this latter charge vehemently, restating that his only intention was to avoid spilling a drink.
'Tourists who consume alcohol at licensed venues can still be arrested for having alcohol in their system. Most tourists are not aware of this fact. A number of British nationals have been caught out by this contradictory application of the law.
'When Jamie was in his prison cell the night of the arrest, his friend accompanied him to the police station. The accuser and his friends were also there.
The accuser's friends were telling him to just drop the matter, and that he had taken it too far. Jamie's friend was sitting next to them all and heard the whole discussion.
'Jamie's friend is acting as his witness, as is the sympathetic security worker of the pub where the incident happened. The bouncer saw the whole incident and confirms Jamie's version of events.'

Jamie said today: 'I am really stunned that it has gone this far. I have witnesses who are willing to present themselves in court, even the bouncer at the bar. I can not believe I am facing these allegations when I followed the laws in their entirety. Now it is possible that I will be arrested [on Sunday] for failing to appear at a court hearing that neither I, nor my lawyer, were advised of.'
She said: 'He was expecting to appear in court but the court moved the date without telling him or his lawyer. This led to a sentence of 30 days imprisonment for failing to present himself at the hearing.
'Jamie has been advised by his lawyer that he is at high risk of being jailed for a duration of up to three years. It is quite outrageous that he has been held in the country for so long already.
'This is another example of how vulnerable tourists are to arrest and detention in Dubai and at how drawn out and disorganised legal proceedings are.
'We have received a wave of new cases of British nationals detained in Dubai and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office need to increase travel warnings to citizens intending to visit or live in the country.
'If Jamie is sentenced to prison, he faces human rights violations and torture. The English High Court has ruled against extradition to the UAE based on the 'very real risk of unfair trials and torture' but the UK government has refused to increase warnings, largely due to their financial and diplomatic ties with the UAE.
'Both Jamie and his family are anxious for him to be back home in Stirling as soon as possible.'
His case follows that of Edinburgh plasterer Billy Barclay, 31, who was released this week after being held for trying to swap a £20 note, which he did not know was forged, at a bureau de change in Dubai.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4956176/British-electrician-jailed-Dubai-public-indecency.html
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

British electrician is locked up in Dubai jail for 'public indecency' after brushing past a man in a bar... days after a Scottish father was jailed for unwittingly using a fake £20 note Empty Re: British electrician is locked up in Dubai jail for 'public indecency' after brushing past a man in a bar... days after a Scottish father was jailed for unwittingly using a fake £20 note

Post by Syl Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:09 am

Blimey....remind me never to go to Dubai.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

British electrician is locked up in Dubai jail for 'public indecency' after brushing past a man in a bar... days after a Scottish father was jailed for unwittingly using a fake £20 note Empty Re: British electrician is locked up in Dubai jail for 'public indecency' after brushing past a man in a bar... days after a Scottish father was jailed for unwittingly using a fake £20 note

Post by nicko Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:13 am

These Arabs are right "up" themselves, too much money, think they own the World. Wait till the oil runs out, that'll be a shock.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:23 am

Syl wrote:Blimey....remind me never to go to Dubai.

We have a friend who lives there - I wont be visiting its not safe is it Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:27 pm

Vicar of Dibley (vod) wrote:

We have a friend who lives there - I wont be visiting its not safe is it Shocked

It doesn't sound it when stories like this emerge.
I know people who have holidayed there and have loved all the opulence, not for me though.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:47 pm

I have known many people to go to Dubai and not have a problem in the slightest.

Perhaps there's something more to this story.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:05 pm

The rules there are medieval. Why go there in the first place, I wouldn't.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:10 pm

A former colleague's daughter ended up in custody in Dubai, she has lived there for years and knows the rules. Long story short it was a malicious accusation but out there you have to prove your innocence, they don't have to prove your guilt.
As for the OP, something off here, sounds like a set up. What was the Jordanian doing in a drinking establishment?
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:16 pm

This baffles me....

"'Tourists who consume alcohol at licensed venues can still be arrested for having alcohol in their system. Most tourists are not aware of this fact. A number of British nationals have been caught out by this contradictory application of the law."

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:24 pm

Syl wrote:This baffles me....

"'Tourists who consume alcohol at licensed venues can still be arrested for having alcohol in their system. Most tourists are not aware of this fact. A number of British nationals have been caught out by this contradictory application of the law."

Exactly, as the saying goes ...I wouldn't go there for a bloody big clock!
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:28 pm

Miffs2 wrote:
Syl wrote:This baffles me....

I thought I read something else then...off to clean glasses. relieved
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:28 pm

Miffs2 wrote:A former colleague's daughter ended up in custody in Dubai, she has lived there for years and knows the rules. Long story short it was a malicious accusation but out there you have to prove your innocence, they don't have to prove your guilt.
As for the OP, something off here, sounds like a set up. What was the Jordanian doing in a drinking establishment?

Probably one of the many spies they have in Dubai, to catch out people, especially the tourists.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:30 pm

Syl wrote:
Miffs2 wrote:

British electrician is locked up in Dubai jail for 'public indecency' after brushing past a man in a bar... days after a Scottish father was jailed for unwittingly using a fake £20 note 1363015401
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:31 pm

magica wrote:
Miffs2 wrote:A former colleague's daughter ended up in custody in Dubai, she has lived there for years and knows the rules. Long story short it was a malicious accusation but out there you have to prove your innocence, they don't have to prove your guilt.

Probably one of the many spies they have in Dubai, to catch out people,  especially the tourists.

Didn't think of that. You are probably right.
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:13 pm

Miffs2 wrote:
Syl wrote:

British electrician is locked up in Dubai jail for 'public indecency' after brushing past a man in a bar... days after a Scottish father was jailed for unwittingly using a fake £20 note 1363015401

Hahaha me too, Laughing  Off to specsaver now Razz
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:50 pm

Wouldn't go there if someone paid me!

Arrogant bastards.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:03 pm

eddie wrote:I have known many people to go to Dubai and not have a problem in the slightest.

Perhaps there's something more to this story.

Where in the hell did you get that avatar?

Sorry to go off topic? Laughing
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:04 pm

Which avatar, Maddog? The "Whiskey Saloon" one? I only just changed it today.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:06 pm

eddie wrote:Which avatar, Maddog? The "Whiskey Saloon" one? I only just changed it today.

Yes that one. I live in Ft Worth Texas. Been to the Whiskey Girl numerous times.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:15 pm

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:Which avatar, Maddog? The "Whiskey Saloon" one? I only just changed it today.

Yes that one. I live in Ft Worth Texas. Been to the Whiskey Girl numerous times.

I recently went to Fort Worth to visit Ben, the guy who runs this forum. We went to the stockyards, I like whisky and he sent me this just now.

It's kinda cool, huh?

Fort Worth is lovely. I really liked the Texans actually, such a friendly bunch of people!
I'm going back in January.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:20 pm

eddie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

I recently went to Fort Worth to visit Ben, the guy who runs this forum. We went to the stockyards, I like whisky and he sent me this just now.

It's kinda cool, huh?

Fort Worth is lovely. I really liked the Texans actually, such a friendly bunch of people!

When I saw his reference to the Guadalupe on his avatar, I figured he was from south of Austin. Stockyards are fun. Funkytown/Cowtown/Ft Worth is a cool place to live. Everything you need in a big city, without the pretense of Dallas. Smile
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:36 pm

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

It's kinda cool, huh?

When I saw his reference to the Guadalupe on his avatar, I figured he was from south of Austin. Stockyards are fun. Funkytown/Cowtown/Ft Worth is a cool place to live. Everything you need in a big city, without the pretense of Dallas. Smile    

Hahaha yeah he isn't keen on Dallas.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:33 am

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

It's kinda cool, huh?

I completely agree!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:32 am

Jamie Harron didn't brush past the man, he placed his hand on his hip - that's probably what the problem was. It's a massive over-reaction though - completely absurd.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:18 pm

I think it was probably exaggeration on the man's part. They love to get tourist in trouble.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down