NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What were you doing 40 years ago today?

+4
Raggamuffin
Original Quill
Cass
Syl
8 posters

Go down

What were you doing 40 years ago today? Empty What were you doing 40 years ago today?

Post by Syl Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:28 pm

Elvis died....and so many people can remember where they were and how they heard the news.
Like when other iconic figures die....it stays in the memory..

I was in my 20's...I had grown up watching his films and listening to his music.
I was shocked when I heard Reginald Bosanquet announce it on the news. At first he said he hoped it wasn't true because the news was just breaking, then he clarified it and said indeed the King was dead. Crying or Very sad
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

What were you doing 40 years ago today? Empty Re: What were you doing 40 years ago today?

Post by Cass Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:39 pm

I was in my dad's car and he was taking me to summer day camp, and it was on the radio. I was 9. I clearly remember having a banana and ham and Swiss cheese sandwich in my lunchbox.

I was upset as I knew who Elvis was and loved his songs and shows (of course that was before I knew he was a crackpot). Still love his music.

One time I may tell the story of my cousin throwing up next to his grave after we got drunk at 15 at another cousin's wedding. True story.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

What were you doing 40 years ago today? Empty Re: What were you doing 40 years ago today?

Post by Syl Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:53 pm

Cass wrote:I was in my dad's car and he was taking me to summer day camp, and it was on the radio. I was 9. I clearly remember having a banana and ham and Swiss cheese sandwich in my lunchbox.

I was upset as I knew who Elvis was and loved his songs and shows (of course that was before I knew he was a crackpot). Still love his music.

One time I may tell the story of my cousin throwing up next to his grave after we got drunk at 15 at another cousin's wedding. True story.

It sounds a lot more interesting than ironing, which is what I was doing at the time Cass.
Odd how we remember though...even if it was doing something mundane.

I don't think Brits really knew how bad his health was at the time of his death. I remember his music and the early films he made...which were surprisingly good.
Sadly his career and his health had declined a lot in the 70's....but his legacy lives on even now.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:05 pm

It's weird. I was on a school trip and on the bus when I heard about Pope John Paul II and Ronald Reagan being shot.

Also I was due to babysit for some neighbors when John Lennon was killed. I went but they were too upset to go out so I sat with them watching the tv about it all.

Like I said, very weird. I think it coorealates with that other thread we were talking on about our brains being programmed to remember negative rather than positive experiences.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:05 pm

Teaching at the University of Arizona, in Tucson. At the end of class someone broke the news as everyone was milling about.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:31 pm

At my friend's house I think. I might have heard about it at home, but we discussed it at her house.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:33 pm

Damned if I can remember exactly where I was or what I was doing when Elvis fell off the perch.

I do remember the breaking news of Kennedy's assassination though...I was a very humble young reporter covering a local Chamber of Commerce dinner and a minion went up to the top table and handed the president a note.

I still recall his shocked reaction: A very loud "Good God!" that stopped the babble of conversation throughout the room.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:44 pm

Cass wrote:It's weird. I was on a school trip and on the bus when I heard about Pope John Paul II and Ronald Reagan being shot.

Also I was due to babysit for some neighbors when John Lennon was killed. I went but they were too upset to go out so I sat with them watching the tv about it all.

Like I said, very weird. I think it coorealates with that other thread we were talking on about our brains being programmed to remember negative rather than positive experiences.

Bad news does seem to have a bigger, longer lasting impact on the memory than good news ever does.
Even when someone telephones with bad news....those conversations stay, word for word......much more thaan a call relaying good new.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:50 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:Damned if I can remember exactly where I was or what I was doing when Elvis fell off the perch.

I do remember the breaking news of Kennedy's assassination though...I was a very humble young reporter covering a local Chamber of Commerce dinner and a minion went up to the top table and handed the president a note.

I still recall his shocked reaction: A very loud "Good God!" that stopped the babble of conversation throughout the room.

I remember coming home from school and watching it all on a little black and white tv.
They showed over and over the crowd panicking and screaming, one woman in particular diving on the floor.
JFK's assassination pobably had the biggest impact worlwide of any event in history.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:11 am

40 yrs ago? I can't remember what I had for dinner yesterday !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:45 am

I wasn't even a concept tbh lol
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:00 pm

nicko wrote: 40 yrs ago?   I can't remember what I had for dinner yesterday !

+1

me neither

What were you doing 40 years ago today? 2190311264 Laughing
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:21 pm

Well they do say the short term memory goes a lot sooner than the long term memory does. Twisted Evil
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down