NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Student: Notre Dame Expelled Me Because I’m Male

3 posters

Go down

Student: Notre Dame Expelled Me Because I’m Male Empty Student: Notre Dame Expelled Me Because I’m Male

Post by Guest Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:06 pm

An undergraduate student is suing the University of Notre Dame in federal court, alleging the Indiana school launched a discriminatory investigation that found him guilty of stalking, dating violence, and harassment of an ex-girlfriend, then expelled him just three weeks before he was set to graduate.

Filing his suit under the pseudonym “John Doe,” the former student is asking for undisclosed damages, but first his lawyers say he just wants to be let back in.

John’s case joins dozens of other pending lawsuits nationwide alleging colleges and universities have over-corrected in recent years when it comes to the investigation of sexual assault and harassment on campus. Parroting several other suits currently making their way through the courts, the complaint alleges that in recent years Notre Dame has “created an atmosphere of institutional hostility toward accused male students.”

The investigation against John began in 2016, according to the complaint. During a year-long “intimate but tumultuous” relationship with his girlfriend, named under the alias “Jane Roe,” John says he developed depression and started having suicidal thoughts after the suicide of a colleague during a summer internship. When the couple broke up in November 2016, the suit says, Jane filed a complaint with the University, alleging John was harassing her and inundating her with texts threatening suicide.

“Rather than recognize the needs of a suicidally depressed student, the University placed her complaint in the category of its ‘Sexual Assault, Sexual Misconduct, Dating Violence, Domestic Violence, Stalking, and/or Hostile Environment Policies,’” John’s complaint alleges.

From here, John’s complaint describes a supposedly flawed, discriminatory investigation process that was “motivated on the basis of sex.” In the filing, John alleges the university ignored video evidence of the “vindictive” motives of his ex-girlfriend. (John’s complaint alleges an acquaintance filmed Jane saying, “I want to fuck up [John’s] reputation; I want to make sure he never has a girlfriend… here or anywhere…and I want him never to be able to have a social life.”) Further, John says the university allowed Jane to “cherry pick” text messages used as evidence, failed to contact witnesses supplied by John, and refused to consider the expert opinion of his therapist who, he claims, would have reported progress in John’s mental health and a complete severing of ties between him and his ex-girlfriend.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/04/25/student-notre-dame-expelled-me-because-i-m-male.html

More to read on the link.

Back to top Go down

Student: Notre Dame Expelled Me Because I’m Male Empty Re: Student: Notre Dame Expelled Me Because I’m Male

Post by eddie Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:53 pm

I haven't read the full link but just by going on the information in the OP, alone, it seems the university were not very sympathetic to this guy's mental state.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Student: Notre Dame Expelled Me Because I’m Male Empty Re: Student: Notre Dame Expelled Me Because I’m Male

Post by Original Quill Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:27 pm

There's two sides to every story.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:32 pm

Original Quill wrote:There's two sides to every story.

Erm yes. What's yours? Suspect
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:35 pm

Well what should be considered here, is whether the girl was under some sort of threat here?
Clearly as no police were involved there was no case for any threat towards her.

Clearly the mental health of the patient was not taken into consideration and his threats of suicide were seen more a nuisance to the girl, than actually trying to help the man in question

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:38 pm

Pretty much how I read it TBH.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:53 pm

eddie wrote:

Are you talking about the post subject?  How can I possibly have a "story" about it? I wasn't there.

Each case is fact-driven. Depends upon the evidence. For example, perhaps he was a passive-aggressive, and was nagging her by threatening suicide. Juries are good at sorting out what is valid and what is phony.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:07 pm

That said, there is a feminine-bias to Title IX cases, given that the original impetus was to give females a better break.  That loaded the investigations and investigative staff with norms and people who had tunnel-vision (toward females) in their approach to investigations.

I wouldn't be surprised at a backlash of cases going the other way. That happened in Title VII cases. Santa Fe Trail Transportation Co. v. McDonald (1976).

Last edited by Original Quill on Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:08 pm

Original Quill wrote:
eddie wrote:

Are you talking about the post subject?  How can I possibly have a "story" about it?  I wasn't there.

Each case is fact-driven.  Depends upon the evidence.  For example, perhaps he was a passive-aggressive, and was nagging her by threatening suicide.  Juries are good at sorting out what is valid and what is phony.

Quill we all have a "story" on every topic and we were "not there".
I don't understand that at all but don't worry because I don't need to.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:09 pm

Original Quill wrote:That said, there is a feminine-bias to Title IX cases, given that the original impetus was to give females a better break.  That loaded the investigations and investigative staff with norms and people who had tunnel-vision (toward females) in their approach to investigations.

This is about denying a person their education near their exam time where there were clearly other options here

Its plain discrimination

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:11 pm

Original Quill wrote:
eddie wrote:

Are you talking about the post subject?  How can I possibly have a "story" about it?  I wasn't there.

Each case is fact-driven.  Depends upon the evidence.  For example, perhaps he was a passive-aggressive, and was nagging her by threatening suicide.  Juries are good at sorting out what is valid and what is phony.

So she could not handle nagging? 

My heart bleeds for her.

She should have just asked for this to be handled far better, which she made him feel worse than he already did

This could have been handled better, which cost him his place there, when there was no need for such action

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:13 pm

Thorin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:That said, there is a feminine-bias to Title IX cases, given that the original impetus was to give females a better break.  That loaded the investigations and investigative staff with norms and people who had tunnel-vision (toward females) in their approach to investigations.

This is about denying a person their education near their exam time where there were clearly other options here

That's what Title IX is all about.

Thorin wrote:Its plain discrimination

You've made that judgment based upon a newspaper article. That's fine. It's a little premature for me, but our opinions don't matter anyway.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:13 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Thorin wrote:Its plain discrimination

You've made that judgment based upon a newspaper article.  That's fine.  It's a little premature for me, but our opinions don't matter anyway.

Is that why the judge is ruling this week on allowing him back entry?

You may want to read the article first before making an arse of yourself as per usual

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:25 pm

Thorin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

My heart bleeds for her.

She should have just asked for this to be handled far better, which she made him feel worse than he already did

This could have been handled better, which cost him his place there, when there was no need for such action

When the whole discrimination thing happened with Brown v. Bd. of Educ. (1954) it was with a clear understanding of who the victims were. They were the ones with a clear history of discrimination, right-wrong, good-bad, This is why I persistently say there can't be real discrimination without a history of disenfranchisement.

When the gender discrimination movement came along, it was more about role adjustment. Sure, you can restate it as disenfranchisement, but in the case of gender, for every instance of wrong to the female, there is a counter-instance of wrong to the male.

This is just another case, playing that out. The original approach to these cases (Title IX) was with the template of racial discrimination, and (as I've stated above) the original approach was female-biased. But as we progress we see that we have used the wrong paradigm, and hence the wrong presumptions. Women are not always victims. Women can be nasty, as you seem to feel in this case, didge. But, not all women are nasty, and some can still be victims. Let's go to trial and let the jury decide.

This is just another contest (lawsuit) over these issues.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:26 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Thorin wrote:

My heart bleeds for her.

When the whole discrimination thing happened with Brown v. Bd. of Educ. (1954) it was with a clear understanding of who the victims were.  They were the ones with a clear history of discrimination, right-wrong, good-bad,  This is why I persistently say there can't be real discrimination without a history of disenfranchisement.

When the gender discrimination movement came along, it was more about role adjustment.  Sure, you can restate it as disenfranchisement, but in the case of gender, for every instance of wrong to the female, there is a counter-instance of wrong to the male.

This is just another case, playing that out.  The original approach to these cases (Title IX) was with the template of racial discrimination, and (as I've stated above) the original approach was female-biased.  But as we progress we see that we have used the wrong paradigm, and hence the wrong presumptions.  Women are not always victims.  Women can be nasty, as you seem to feel in this case, didge.  But, not all women are nasty, and some can still be victims.  Let's go to trial and let the jury decide.

Who cares about the above, we are talking about this case and basing it off the facts he was denied his education

That is discrimination

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:33 pm

Thorin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

You've made that judgment based upon a newspaper article.  That's fine.  It's a little premature for me, but our opinions don't matter anyway.

Is that why the judge is ruling this week on allowing him back entry?

Not exactly. A temporary restraining order is used when the loss will be irreparable. It's a proceeding, aside from the ultimate merits, based upon holding the status quo when events are moving forward and could create the loss de facto. One of the elements to consider on a TRO is the probability of winning, so it could be a measure of the merits. But that's only one factor.

Thorin wrote:You may want to read the article first before making an arse of yourself as per usual

Usually, when someone uses that old saw, he's losing. You've made a prejudicial error, didge. You've decided before a careful consideration of the facts and issues.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:35 pm

Thorin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

When the whole discrimination thing happened with Brown v. Bd. of Educ. (1954) it was with a clear understanding of who the victims were.  They were the ones with a clear history of discrimination, right-wrong, good-bad,  This is why I persistently say there can't be real discrimination without a history of disenfranchisement.

When the gender discrimination movement came along, it was more about role adjustment.  Sure, you can restate it as disenfranchisement, but in the case of gender, for every instance of wrong to the female, there is a counter-instance of wrong to the male.

This is just another case, playing that out.  The original approach to these cases (Title IX) was with the template of racial discrimination, and (as I've stated above) the original approach was female-biased.  But as we progress we see that we have used the wrong paradigm, and hence the wrong presumptions.  Women are not always victims.  Women can be nasty, as you seem to feel in this case, didge.  But, not all women are nasty, and some can still be victims.  Let's go to trial and let the jury decide.

Who cares about the above, we are talking about this case and basing it off the facts he was denied his education

That is discrimination

You sound like Donald Trump. You want to make a snap decision, fook the facts. Rolling Eyes

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:42 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Thorin wrote:

That is discrimination

You sound like Donald Trump.  You want to make a snap decision, fook the facts. Rolling Eyes

You sound like Caligula

So what, its clear he was denied his education

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:45 pm

Thorin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

You sound like Donald Trump.  You want to make a snap decision, fook the facts. Rolling Eyes

You sound like Caligula

"Names and faces..." didge? When I get to this point with you, it's clear you have lost and are only trying to save face.

I'll be moving on to more deserving discussions.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:34 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Thorin wrote:

You sound like Caligula

"Names and faces..." didge?  When I get to this point with you, it's clear you have lost and are only trying to save face.  

So in other words you cannot discount discrimination

More so the fact he was denied education

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:49 pm

Thorin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

"Names and faces..." didge?  When I get to this point with you, it's clear you have lost and are only trying to save face.  

Take your own advice and read the whole thread.  You lost track of what was being said about a quarter way through.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:50 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Take your own advice and read the whole thread.  You lost track of what was being said about half way through.

Misdirection again

I am spot on what this is about and lets see who is right, as I bet the judge allows the boy back in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:54 pm

You haven't been discussing the topic for the last 3/4's of the thread. You've been busy being rude.

You failed even to noticed that we are on the same side, save that I've been more mature and reasonable about it. You are so quick to rush to your own judgment that you haven't thought things through.

Didge, typical...you are a cataloguer, not a theorist.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:56 pm

Original Quill wrote:You haven't been discussing the topic for the last 3/4's of the thread.  You've been busy being rude.

You failed even to noticed that we are on the same side, save that I've been more mature and reasonable about it.  You are so quick to rush to your own judgment that you haven't thought things through.

Didge, typical...you are a cataloguer, not a theorist.

1) Misdirection, as yes I have, you have avoided the discrimination

2) Are we, seems to me you are arguing against my views

3) Typical back track by Quill

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:01 pm

You live for antagonism, not reason or truth. Didge, I understand why your professors let you go.

You could do better if you didn't personify your adversaries. Listen and respond to the point, not the person. You get into all these needless insults and angry retorts, and for what? Certainly you don't think it goes anywhere, do you?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:03 pm

Original Quill wrote:You live for antagonism, not reason or truth.  Didge, I understand why your professors let you go.

You could do better if you didn't personify your adversaries.  Listen and respond to the point, not the person.  You get into all these needless insults and angry retorts, and for what?  Certainly you don't think it goes anywhere, do you?

1) More cuckoo imagination.

2) This is about the case of discrimination, not you making once again an arse of yourself making up hilarious bullshit

3) This is discrimination,

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:04 pm

If the chap is mentally ill and suicidal, it was a harsh decision - he clearly needs help.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:04 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:If the chap is mentally ill and suicidal, it was a harsh decision - he clearly needs help.

wow, we agree

Not sure if there is a faint smilie

Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:09 pm

Didge, you abandoned discrimination as the topic long ago.  You said:

Thorin wrote:Who cares about the above, we are talking about this case and basing it off the facts he was denied his education

So, nothing anyone else says is relevant, because you have already prejudged the issue.

Thorin wrote:1) More cuckoo imagination.

2) This is about the case of discrimination, not you making once again an arse of yourself making up hilarious bullshit

You want to discuss: "cuckoo imagination", "making an arse", and "hilarious bullshit".  How does that lend itself to the topic of Title IX or this man's plight?  You've abandoned that topic.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:12 pm

Original Quill wrote:Didge, you abandoned discrimination as the topic long ago.  You said:

Thorin wrote:Who cares about the above, we are talking about this case and basing it off the facts he was denied his education

So, nothing anyone else says is relevant, because you have already prejudged the issue.

You want to discuss: "cuckoo imagination", "making an arse", and "hilarious bullshit".  How does that lend itself to the topic of Title IX or this man's plight?  You've abandoned that topic.

Because what you posted had zero relevance to this case

Hence why i ridiculed such irrelevant rubbish

You can go off other cases, but this is about this case, not others

I just think you are a tit when it comes to cases like this, where you try to look smart, over something so simple as discrimination

As of yet you have failed to show its not discrimination

If you agree with me, which seems out of place to your first views, then its you being the complete arse here

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:22 pm

"Zero"? "Irrelevant rubbish"? "Tit"? "Look smart"? "Complete arse"? Great contributions to the discussion, eh? Most relevant.

To respond would be gratuitous. Rolling Eyes

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:30 pm

Original Quill wrote:"Zero"?  "Irrelevant rubbish"?  "Tit"?  "Look smart"?  "Complete arse"?  Great contributions to the discussion, eh?  Most relevant.

To respond would be gratuitous. Rolling Eyes

It would be if you talked about the case.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down