NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Being Honest About Religious Beliefs Shouldn’t Be Offensive

+8
Ben Reilly
Eilzel
veya_victaous
Syl
HoratioTarr
'Wolfie
Raggamuffin
eddie
12 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Being Honest About Religious Beliefs Shouldn’t Be Offensive - Page 4 Empty Being Honest About Religious Beliefs Shouldn’t Be Offensive

Post by Guest Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Here’s an entertaining compilation of atheists on television (or giving lectures) and being as blunt as ever:

And to those who take offense to things they’re saying, I’d love to know a nicer way to tell people their beliefs are based on lies.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2017/04/21/being-honest-about-religious-beliefs-shouldnt-be-offensive/

Back to top Go down

Being Honest About Religious Beliefs Shouldn’t Be Offensive - Page 4 Empty Re: Being Honest About Religious Beliefs Shouldn’t Be Offensive

Post by Eilzel Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:00 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Eilzel wrote:Atheism is a statement about theistic gods. If someone wants to call stars gods then fine. But they are obviously not the gods atheism refers to.

In your answer to the first point- what exactly are you talking about? Without twisting anything I've said, show me exactly where I said our species is greater than the sun...

by the mere suggestion that you know the divine is zero Cool Cool Cool Cool
you don't know that

Atheism is a finite answer which is why even the great atheists like Dawkins move away from Atheism
Such an assertion is simplely Unscientific.... tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

If you wish to hold others to the rigors of science than the least you can do is hold yourself to the same standard Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Atheism is simply a belief there is no theistic god. That is not knowing. It is just a strong belief based on the evidence being the same as it is for fairies and unicorns existing on Earth.

Do you know that fairies and fire breathing dragons don't exist? If you know they don't isn't that equally as arrogant by your line of thinking?
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Being Honest About Religious Beliefs Shouldn’t Be Offensive - Page 4 Empty Re: Being Honest About Religious Beliefs Shouldn’t Be Offensive

Post by veya_victaous Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:01 pm

@elizel
I will add it is through such confrontations such as our than man becomes smarter, you and ben have forced me to refine ideas but now you need to better refine you answer of zero or accept that agnosticism the more scientifically correct answer

throw away the burden that is being raised Christian and prove me wrong in my hypothesis that it limits you mind...

Plus I only originally embraced agnosticism to have something  to argue with ben about, the mental exercise has proven of great value for the argument against atheism have become refined to the point i could not go back to believing the primitive thoughts i had before (no doubt how you feel about Abrahamsim)

Last edited by veya_victaous on Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:04 pm

Eilzel wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:
Eilzel wrote:Atheism is a statement about theistic gods. If someone wants to call stars gods then fine. But they are obviously not the gods atheism refers to.

In your answer to the first point- what exactly are you talking about? Without twisting anything I've said, show me exactly where I said our species is greater than the sun...

by the mere suggestion that you know the divine is zero Cool Cool Cool Cool
you don't know that

Atheism is a finite answer which is why even the great atheists like Dawkins move away from Atheism
Such an assertion is simplely Unscientific.... tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

If you wish to hold others to the rigors of science than the least you can do is hold yourself to the same standard Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Atheism is simply a belief there is no theistic god. That is not knowing. It is just a strong belief based on the evidence being the same as it is for fairies and unicorns existing on Earth.

Do you know that fairies and fire breathing dragons don't exist? If you know they don't isn't that equally as arrogant by your line of thinking?

interestingly did you know the belief in faeries is far wider spread then the belief in a creator god? and far older like 10,000's of years older across almost all continents Wink

veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:08 pm

veya_victaous wrote:I will add the arrogance of Atheists forces me to defend Christians, simply because you are both CHOOSING to be ignorant as far as i am concerned. neither is embracing the quest for knowledge and happy to accept what limited information is available today.

Neither is seeking the answers to what the universe ACTUALLY contains, until we are gods ourselves we must forever remain agnostic, those that admit we do not know

Just seen this.

Utter nonsense. Atheists constantly seek answers to how the universe came to be and every that followed. Many of us are just irritated by the fact billions of people presume to have THE answer.

Atheism does not claim to have answers, it just claims to be utterly unconvinced of a particularly unsatisfying and unsubstantiated answer offered by the major religions.

That aside, atheists in my experience have a genuine hunger to know the answers about many things but do not presume to have any.

Even Dawkins says he's open to people proving the existence of a divine being. Just show us the evidence. That is not closed mindedness.

You seem to have formed an overly negative view purely based on some bad experiences of atheists...

^Star- in fairness to veya, he is equally as critical of biblical claims as you are, but he is also as critical of atheism.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:10 pm

Eilzel wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:I will add the arrogance of Atheists forces me to defend Christians, simply because you are both CHOOSING to be ignorant as far as i am concerned. neither is embracing the quest for knowledge and happy to accept what limited information is available today.

Neither is seeking the answers to what the universe ACTUALLY contains, until we are gods ourselves we must forever remain agnostic, those that admit we do not know

Just seen this.

Utter nonsense. Atheists constantly seek answers to how the universe came to be and every that followed. Many of us are just irritated by the fact billions of people presume to have THE answer.

Atheism does not claim to have answers, it just claims to be utterly unconvinced of a particularly unsatisfying and unsubstantiated answer offered by the major religions.

That aside, atheists in my experience have a genuine hunger to know the answers about many things but do not presume to have any.

Even Dawkins says he's open to people proving the existence of a divine being. Just show us the evidence. That is not closed mindedness.

You seem to have formed an overly negative view purely based on some bad experiences of atheists...

^Star- in fairness to veya, he is equally as critical of biblical claims as you are, but he is also as critical of atheism.

No they really don't sorry but look at the best Physicist of our time they are almost all Agnostic

Even Dawkins has converted Wink  there is no shame

why worry that billions believe a fairy tale
What matter is what you believe and that is all (but i think accepting that since you do not posses the knowledge that you do rely on 'faith' is imperative I do not doubt that i rely on 'faith'  particularity in the branes theory of the mutliverse and advanced string theory)

Last edited by veya_victaous on Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:17 pm

Eilzel wrote:

Just seen this.

because knowledge comes from critical thought Wink

And I am actually more critical of Christians that wish to impose that view on the world since it proven beyond doubt to be false, But at the same time i feel like children or the disabled they should be humored as long as they are not causing harm to others

I am critical of Atheist because they take one step and then stop Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by stardesk Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:16 am

One more comment to my critique of Biblical teaching:

Consider if you will there are 30million species of life on Earth. Noah would have needed a huge fleet of ships to collect 2 of every spacies. Considering it was a small number, such as local animals, the food necessary would have filled the ark, then consider carnivorous animals, they would need another animal on which to feed, and that poor animal would have needed food until itself was eaten. So you see just how much food the Ark would have had to have carried.
In my opinion this is just another false story leading people astray. I can accept that Noah may well have a boat or perhaps a raft, on which he had just there own domestic animals such as goats and fowls but absolutely not 2 of every kind. Rubbish!
stardesk
stardesk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4