NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Three dead in Maryland mall shooting

5 posters

Go down

Three dead in Maryland mall shooting Empty Three dead in Maryland mall shooting

Post by Guest Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:03 pm

Three people have been killed in a shooting at a shopping centre in Maryland in the US.

Howard County Police urged people inside the suburban Columbia Mall "to stay in place".

They said one of the dead was "located near gun and ammunition".

Reports suggest the centre, about 45 minutes outside Washington DC, was on "lockdown" because of an "active shooter situation". The centre is a popular weekend shopping destination.

The mall of about 200 stores in Howard County, which has an indoor carousel ride and play area, is a popular weekend destination for families and young children.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25898567

Oh look, more gun deaths

Back to top Go down

Three dead in Maryland mall shooting Empty Re: Three dead in Maryland mall shooting

Post by Cass Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:25 pm

Oh didge come on....2 people are dead.
The perpetrator probably took his own life.
Its outrageous and ugly and horrific.

For the record I do think that there needs to be much stricter gun laws no high capacity clips etc etc....but I do believe that people have the right to protect themselves and their homes even though the 2nd amendment was written in a different time and situation for a different set of circumstances.

If people want a hunting rifle and /or handgun then fine - anything more than that is not necessary. I personally don't own any but we have thought about it and also have a home security system.

Is everyone who owns a gun bad or crazy? Of course not. Are there some gun owners who scare the crap out of me? Absolutely. Sadly lobbyist control too much in DC at the moment - not just in guns - but I ask myself how many more dead people will it take to make people see some God damn common sense about this? The answer is I don't know and that is unbelievably tragic and Scary as hell.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Three dead in Maryland mall shooting Empty Re: Three dead in Maryland mall shooting

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:01 am

These are just the gun deaths that make the news, Cass. Sadly, there are many shootings every day in the U.S. that don't make headlines because it's just not that big a deal any more.

Over the course of one calendar year since the Sandy Hook massacre, there were about 32,000 shooting deaths in the U.S., almost 90 per day.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:56 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:These are just the gun deaths that make the news, Cass. Sadly, there are many shootings every day in the U.S. that don't make headlines because it's just not that big a deal any more.

Over the course of one calendar year since the Sandy Hook massacre, there were about 32,000 shooting deaths in the U.S., almost 90 per day.

Another reason not to legalise hand guns here, and as you rightly say Ben, that's just the shootings and fatalities we here of. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:57 am

Joy Division wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:These are just the gun deaths that make the news, Cass. Sadly, there are many shootings every day in the U.S. that don't make headlines because it's just not that big a deal any more.

Another reason not to legalise hand guns here, and as you rightly say Ben, that's just the shootings and fatalities we here of.  Sad

HEAR, JD, HEAR!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:59 am

The gunman - well, he's evil and from what I've seen in my 40 years, evil criminals are the ones who seem to have no problem getting a gun - if they can't they'll just use a knife.

Then we have the poor victims - what do they have to protect themselves? Nothing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:09 am

BigAndy9 wrote:The gunman - well, he's evil and from what I've seen in my 40 years, evil criminals are the ones who seem to have no problem getting a gun - if they can't they'll just use a knife.

Then we have the poor victims - what do they have to protect themselves?  Nothing.

It's a lot harder to carry off a mass killing spree with a knife, though. A few years ago a man in China went on a knifing spree, but all his victims survived.

Not that I'm arguing that the U.S. should or even could get rid of its guns -- it's in our constitution. But we put reasonable restrictions on rights all the time, and I don't think it's unreasonable to say that no civilian needs a gun that can be fired 33 times in half a minute without reloading, as was used in the shooting spree against Congresswoman Gabby Giffords in 2010. In fact, those high-capacity magazines have featured in at least half of the last 60-odd mass shootings we've had in the U.S.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:12 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:The gunman - well, he's evil and from what I've seen in my 40 years, evil criminals are the ones who seem to have no problem getting a gun - if they can't they'll just use a knife.

Then we have the poor victims - what do they have to protect themselves?  Nothing.

It's a lot harder to carry off a mass killing spree with a knife, though. A few years ago a man in China went on a knifing spree, but all his victims survived.

Not that I'm arguing that the U.S. should or even could get rid of its guns -- it's in our constitution. But we put reasonable restrictions on rights all the time, and I don't think it's unreasonable to say that no civilian needs a gun that can be fired 33 times in half a minute without reloading, as was used in the shooting spree against Congresswoman Gabby Giffords in 2010. In fact, those high-capacity magazines have featured in at least half of the last 60-odd mass shootings we've had in the U.S.

It's a real buzz, emptying a magazine in just a few seconds Ben.

An even bigger buzz letting rip with one of these:

Three dead in Maryland mall shooting Untitl10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:16 am

Oh - that had nothing to do with the thread though.

You're right, nobody needs such weapons, but as I said - ban them all you want and the only people who would have them is the criminals - then you'd always have to wait for the police to stop them.

Keep it the way it is and every now and then a civilian with a weapon can take the bad guy on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:17 am

Seriously - are your criminals so good that if guns were banned they'd say "oh, I can't have one of those, they are illegal".

They're not like that over here, Sunshine.

lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:03 am

BigAndy9 wrote:Seriously - are your criminals so good that if guns were banned they'd say "oh, I can't have one of those, they are illegal".

They're not like that over here, Sunshine.

lol

That's been said for ages to justify an armed-to-the-teeth society, but if it held water, gun laws wouldn't work anywhere, ever. Fact is, they do; just ask our Australians. But there are many other things that can be done to lower violence in society -- for a way-better policy to reduce all crime, you can reduce income inequality:

ftp://psyftp.mcmaster.ca/dalywilson/sshrc2004/wilkinsonCrime.pdf
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:14 am

I know ben I know Sad

I was beyond pissed and stupified when Arizona allowed concealed with no permits or training.....some of our state leaders are a little cuckoo for cocoa puffs - and that's being polite.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:20 am

There are a lot of myths floating around there about guns, a good part made up by the NRA and their brain-dead bots. Interesting reading:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/01/pro-gun-myths-fact-check
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:49 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:There are a lot of myths floating around there about guns, a good part made up by the NRA and their brain-dead bots. Interesting reading:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/01/pro-gun-myths-fact-check

Good article....and your statement is true...Anyhoos must be off....we had family night out @Texas roadhouse and now family hot tub time which should hopefully make me sleepy.

Good night x
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:59 am

Cass, you were in Texas? I'm in Texas! Where did you stay, if you don't mind me asking?

Bee, I really hope that's all they ever let Andy use that gun for. I'd like to say I can't think of a person I'd less like in control of that level of lethality ... unfortunately, I can ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:02 am

Cass wrote:Oh didge come on....2 people are dead.
The perpetrator probably took his own life.
Its outrageous and ugly and horrific.

For the record I do think that there needs to be much stricter gun laws no high capacity clips etc etc....but I do believe that people have the right to protect themselves and their homes even though the 2nd amendment was written in a different time and situation for a different set of circumstances.

If people want a hunting rifle and /or handgun then fine - anything more than that is not necessary. I personally don't own any but we have thought about it and also have a home security system.

Is everyone who owns a gun bad or crazy? Of course not. Are there some gun owners who scare the crap out of me? Absolutely. Sadly lobbyist control too much in DC at the moment - not just in guns - but I ask myself how many more dead people will it take to make people see some God damn common sense about this? The answer is I don't know and that is unbelievably tragic and Scary as hell.

Nope me Lady, absurd, to own instruments of death is just that absurd, I see the laws over there as absurd, to hunt animals to gain some superiority over shooting them is again absurd. The fact is nobody should own guns I fail to see the need or the again daft reason to have them for self defense when no guns should be available for anyone. To me hunting is also wrong for sport, I mean a high powered rifle against an animal that is running for its life, bravo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:42 pm

So if people lived off the land without firearms in the past why are they needed today in remote areas, when previous methods were effective in hunting?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:18 pm

Not concerned why they do, I asked a very simple question, which your reasoning seems to be down to being efficient, humane, really?

So how was ancient methods not humane or efficient before the advent of the gun?

Back to top Go down

Post by ALLAKAKA Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:26 pm

You can hardly class a person who LEGALLY used a handgun at a Shooting Club and kept that firearm at home in a LOCKED gun safe, a threat to the public.

ALLAKAKA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:27 pm

ALLAKAKA wrote:You can hardly class a person who LEGALLY used a handgun at a Shooting Club and kept that firearm at home in a LOCKED gun safe, a threat to the public.

Never claimed that, my view is why they do?

There are plenty of non-lethal guns are there not?

Back to top Go down

Post by ALLAKAKA Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:31 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
ALLAKAKA wrote:You can hardly class a person who LEGALLY used a handgun at a Shooting Club and kept that firearm at home in a LOCKED gun safe, a threat to the public.

MARKSMANSHIP, simply a sport as any other sport such as Darts.

ALLAKAKA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:33 pm

ALLAKAKA wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

So you are saying you cannot be a marksman with non lethal guns now?

Back to top Go down

Post by ALLAKAKA Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:35 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
ALLAKAKA wrote:

Just as you cannot be a craftsman without the appropriate tools.

ALLAKAKA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:36 pm

ALLAKAKA wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:

That never answered my question:

Try again

Back to top Go down

Post by ALLAKAKA Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:43 pm

PhilDidge wrote:
ALLAKAKA wrote:

That never answered my question:

Try again

Do TYPES of Guns have different characteristics , so No would be the general rule.

Last edited by ALLAKAKA on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

ALLAKAKA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:59 pm

Beekeeper wrote:
PhilDidge wrote:
Not concerned why they do, I asked a very simple question, which your reasoning seems to be down to being efficient, humane, really?

So how was ancient methods not humane or efficient before the advent of the gun?

Smile 

Spearing and clubbing an animal to death over several minutes or half an hour isn't my idea of humane.

Even worse when that animal may have been run down or corralled before being executed..

The use of snares, pits or traps means that the prey could be suffering for hours or even days before the hunter returns to finally kill that animal..

NOT exactly effective nor efficient in those cases...

Proper use of firearms by trained and qualified users DOES give quicker, kinder and more effective means of killing food animals, vermin or larger pests, or putting down injured animals when lethal and sedative/humane poisons aren't available.

HAVE you ever attempted to slit an animals throat, Didge, or tried to club an animal to death, or broken a rabbit's or poultry's necks ~ after all, they ARE the traditional means of slaughtering food animals..  pale   

Who said clubbing?

So even though the animal is going to end up dead, its okay to shoot it unexpected now?

Really, sorry this is getting absurd the replies.

You can kill as effectively with a knife/spear, the chase is irrelevant, because of the need to hunt for food

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:13 pm

All guns have done is make it far easier to kill Bee.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:00 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Cass, you were in Texas? I'm in Texas! Where did you stay, if you don't mind me asking?

Bee, I really hope that's all they ever let Andy use that gun for. I'd like to say I can't think of a person I'd less like in control of that level of lethality ... unfortunately, I can ...

No Hun haven't been to Texas since August - Houston.....the humidity - icky! Many years ago I lived there and in Bay City.

We were at Texas Roadhouse restaurant (or roadkill as we like to call it) as it was Burns Night last night and Mr. Cass is Scottish. Its hard to find a proper haggis here (I am upset about that - not) so we had steak and I got me some fried pickles - bliss.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:17 pm

Didge I understand what you are saying.....some of the laws are very absurd - see my earlier reply to ben but banning them all will never happen - going back to the old cliche that you might as well ban anything that could be a potential weapon like knives, cars, baseball bats......anything when used with evil intent can be turned into a weapon - even a human fist.

What needs to happen is far stricter laws, background investigations, no access to high capacity clips, no concealed weapons permit, mandatory training and banning of private owner use of anything beyond handgun or hunting rifle. There is no need whatsoever for anyone not in law enforcement or military to own assault weapons such as an AR-15.

Some dickhead of a person who is running for Senate said on Friday that he will give away an AR-15 to a lucky supporter of his campaign because according to him "its no secret that the democrats and liberal media would love to take away our guns and mandate every aspect of our lives". Its people like him who are the problem.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:25 pm

Cass wrote:Didge I understand what you are saying.....some of the laws are very absurd - see my earlier reply to ben but banning them all will never happen - going back to the old cliche that you might as well ban anything that could be a potential weapon like knives, cars, baseball bats......anything when used with evil intent can be turned into a weapon - even a human fist.
Sorry again I disagree me Lady, many things can kill that does not mean okay if one can kill, yet it has many other purposes we should not ban one that's real use is solely to kill.

What needs to happen is far stricter laws, background investigations, no access to high capacity clips, no concealed weapons permit, mandatory training and banning of private owner use of anything beyond handgun or hunting rifle. There is no need whatsoever for anyone not in law enforcement or military to own assault weapons such as an AR-15.
I think there should be laws banning all the only use being for the armed forces, it is absurd to me that we have laws allowing guns within society

Some dickhead of a person who is running for Senate said on Friday that he will give away an AR-15 to a lucky supporter of his campaign because according to him "its no secret that the democrats and liberal media would love to take away our guns and mandate every aspect of our lives". Its people like him who are the problem.

No to me it is a problem that people feel they need to own an instrument of death me Lady, it boggles me why anyone would want to own one, when there is no need in the first place to have one if you took away the law to own one!
Seriously we don;t allow children to play with dangerous toys, yet as adults that sense is thrown out of the window, nd that people allow and excuse people to play with dangerous toys, as that is what it amounts to

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:35 pm

Again good points you raise. I suppose I grew up over here so it was accepted. My dad used to go hunting duck and deer and yes we ate it (which explains my aversion to venison but not my liking for shredded duck? Go figure).

Mr. C and the boys still get amazed when they see someone openly carry because it just wasn't there in the UK.

Do I like it? No
Do I want to own one? Complicated but I veer towards no - have used a few at army wives things but I didn't really like it.
Do I wish it was different? Yes but I have to be realistic

So lets agree to disagree.
must go raise the dead aka dragging junior from his pit as I have bribed him with breakfast at our favorite diner in return for helping me with shopping as as certain someone is off playing golf.
xxxx
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:39 pm

Cass wrote:Again good points you raise. I suppose I grew up over here so it was accepted. My dad used to go hunting duck and deer and yes we ate it (which explains my aversion to venison but not my liking for shredded duck? Go figure).

Mr. C and the boys still get amazed when they see someone openly carry because it just wasn't there in the UK.

Do I like it? No
Do I want to own one? Complicated but I veer towards no - have used a few at army wives things but I didn't really like it.
Do I wish it was different?  Yes but I have to be realistic

must go raise the dead aka dragging junior from his pit as I have bribed him with breakfast at our favorite diner in return for helping me with shopping as as certain someone is off playing golf.
xxxx

No worries me Lady, we cannot agree on everything, you know I respect your views, on this just don't agree .

Best wishes to the family.

xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:24 pm

Oh my, Texas Roadhouse. I've never been to one but I have the feeling I'd like it about as much as Australians love Outback Steakhouse Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:45 pm

Cass wrote:Again good points you raise. I suppose I grew up over here so it was accepted. My dad used to go hunting duck and deer and yes we ate it (which explains my aversion to venison but not my liking for shredded duck? Go figure).

Do I like it? No
Do I wish it was different?  Yes but I have to be realistic

xxxx

Open carry is quite common in Arizona, the highest per capita gun ownership state in the US.  But unless a gun is hanging from the belt of a drunk Hell's Angel biker, it's not so frightening.

I used to open carry on weekends when I went four-wheeling in the Superstition Mountains.  Or canyoneering in the Red Rock country.  Lots of bears, mountain lions and rattlers off the road.  Pretty common.  

But, true, when you are entertaining some guests out from New Jersey, it scares the piss out of them when you strap on a loaded .45 before swinging into the ole Jimmy.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:55 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Oh my, Texas Roadhouse. I've never been to one but I have the feeling I'd like it about as much as Australians love Outback Steakhouse Smile

Its not bad for a chain.....and their rolls are out of this world....I brought home leftovers and made a steak sandwich fir lunch....outback is okay too....never had a bad meal at either but its not cordon bleu Smile
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:02 am

^quill

There's plenty of scary bikers riding around packing.....but without hemets.....ok then. Or at the grocery store you see a dude squeezing the fruit for freshness with a 45 on his hip......slightly bizarre.

A friend collects swords and finds them just dandy against rattlers....he gave one to Mr. C as a retirement present so we are set. Not so good against tarantulas or scorpions though Wink
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:53 am

Tarantulas and scorpions are not the problem. I used to keep a tarantula as a pet on my screen door. She ate the moths. I lived in a home on Gates Pass, in the Tucson Mountains. It was near an arroyo that was a major highway for desert animals.

We had javelinas, cats, bears and other critters...thank god we had a wolf pack of domestic dogs--three black labrador retrievers and one doberman. The neighbors loved them. The lion was no match for them. Nor were the bears. And they treated the javalinas like sheep.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down